The Daily for Monday November 08, 2021

richwmn

I love the quote of the day.  I had a friend explain to me yesterday that he called every doctor he knew until he found one who told him not to have his surgery today.  Karma got him though, his soon to be ex wife showed up  for a week to take care of him post surgery.  LOL.

Not a lamb fan, but finding out that cooked radishes turned sweet makes me thinking of just making the taters and radishes.

Thank you for this thread.  I have been reading, not posting, and loving every minute of it.

• Like 23
  • Haha 3

Good morning friends!  It started out cold this morning but will be sunny and up to 70F today so sounds like a winner to me.  Not a gym day today so I used the treadmill instead.  We have no plans to cook anything bold today.  I've always enjoyed pianists.  Parents are the first teachers children have and very important to their development.  Interesting quote.  I'm going to skip the lamb chops and instead will have what Roy had on MS Prinsendam in 2017.

Prayers for our list of those needing them.  So much bad news lately.  I received an email yesterday from a couple we met on a long-ago cruise that we've kept in touch with.  The husband, John, was an interesting man who had three careers in his lifetime, a police officer, a psychologist and a minister.  Unfortunately John has Stage IV Melanoma which started on the top of his head and has spread to his lungs, liver and bones.  Treatments have not been effective and have been miserable.  The doctors gave him 6 months to live 5 months ago.  He is weaker every day, little appetite, losing weight and enduring lots of pain.  He won't be with us much longer.  Thanks to their faith they are at peace here at the end of his journey.  Please say a little prayer for John.  Thank you.

Cheers for those of us happily celebrating good times and happy events.  Just waking up each day pretty darn healthy with wonderful family and friends is reason for me to celebrate.  🙂

We have seen Manzanillo, Mexico on our first South America cruise.  It was a good visit and I'd be happy to share a few photos with you all.  Back in a bit!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

The gremlins seem to be sleeping in this morning. 🤞🏻

🤞🤞🤞 Yesterday CC didn’t like the iPad so I posted from my phone, then even that stopped working and for the rest of the day could only read CC. 😖 

@TiogaCruiserand @Quartzsite Cruiser could you please send me an email? I have (separate/different) questions for you. Dobiemon at yahoo dot com. Please put “cruise Critic” in the subject line so I know it’s okay. Thanks!

• Like 14

On March 15, 2012 the Star Princess was preparing to dock in Manzanillo, Mexico.  As you can see from this photo the town was built on and around several large hills which would later cause lots of confusion trying to walk around seeing the sights.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9RaAe7amZAT28rzoZznoi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646306

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKZnUm77q6qYK_qnJ8NcqW6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646351

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0Fn--3yn03nBzfUcF93em?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646347

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ32GspJYNKFc6JpK3LwSdS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646396

Star Princess was our first cruise ship ever, in 2002 we took a cruise in Alaska on her.  Those were the good ol' days!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLcLBJ-RIqxPkKMKi-b-L2l?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646404

Manzanillo is know for this sailfish statue.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKpzr0lpYsFbj9yYA-n3Efq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646461

We noticed pick up trucks like this driving around town with officers in the bed of the truck holding weapons.  Made you wonder how much crime there was there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNbIetDOyoylaBlN68MRgI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646444

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPDb_3ApJBqznZrDO6ojRL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646530

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKez3S1R9S5EnwcxjqcXNCZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1636379206

We found some interesting places like this open air shop where a lady was making tortillas.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJmMvDXpVq3k4B3U7tWuzsA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646493

And the market where they sold fish, fruits and vegetables.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIJhfshYdnpIVJ8ezHY_Xgv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646500

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJRrg-A8qhnft9y1E7pR4_P?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646502

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKgjJHMt9iBakp6mzwHqjS0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1636379677

But we continued to find with those big hills all over town, that you would find yourself going down dead end streets so would have to backtrack to find your way out.  We also noticed fewer cruise ship passengers and other tourists around so we decided it would be safer to get back to the more populated areas.  Especially after seeing the large police presence.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJrfpcJ0RRCxpmXhN3YHDcy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646453

Back to the waterfront.  Look at this amazing shrub shaped like a boat.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI7iuHEaiz75ofIciefsn7A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646535

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKrpjqVBkGEjF6o7i9_tukR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1636379907

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLFl8FUZ9kmrikDhCFmzUxh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646550

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK_MGugpa-DnhY_lZfdl4cz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646427

Happy memories of cruises past.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKo96RAnGQLbgPV5cGUtcTC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332646369

Edited by StLouisCruisers
changed word
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Years ago we stayed at the Holliday Inn Resort. It was built in the hill/mountain. We used a finicular to access the pool level from the lobby. Elevator above that also built in the side of the hill.  We were in a high floor. Fabulous view. 

• Like 19

Good morning Daily-ites. Thank you Rich for the Daily and thanks to all who contribute.

Graham you are quite the teaser! Sandi saying a prayer for John and to all in our (getting longer) prayer list. Thank you Roy.

Tonight is rib eye steak, potatoes and fresh corn. Nothing bold here.

I was a step parent late in life. My stepson had already graduated. His mom was a special ed teacher, so he had plenty of parental schooling.

Did anyone else catch the season premiere of Yellowstone? Wow.

The weather is beautiful. I think I'll clean out the garage. 

By the way, I checked Delta flights for our return from FLL and the 11:40 flight looks like the only one favorable. We will have luggage direct. Do you think we can make it? We've always had later flights out of FLL to Spokane, but coming back to Austin is another story.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week. Sending up prayers and blessings.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. Thank you Rich for the Daily and thanks to all who contribute.

Graham you are quite the teaser! Sandi saying a prayer for John and to all in our (getting longer) prayer list. Thank you Roy.

I was a step parent late in life. My stepson had already graduated. His mom was a special ed teacher, so he had plenty of parental schooling.

By the way, I checked Delta flights for our return from FLL and the 11:40 flight looks like the only one favorable. We will have luggage direct. Do you think we can make it? We've always had later flights out of FLL to Spokane, but coming back to Austin is another story.

Sorry to hear no other flights work as well for you.  I hate when the airlines mess with our schedules!  Since you won't have luggage to deal with just try to do the early walk off.  Get a taxi and ten minutes later you're at the airport.  🤞✈️

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

We have low clouds and His Nibs is letting me know we are over an hour late for his walk. How do you explain daylight savings to your dog? 

Today I have Spanish class via Zoom and have a little homework to do first. Plan to do some prep work outside, as today we enter the projected start of our project (anytime between today and the 15th).

@dfish The lamb recipes look lovely. DH says he doesn’t like it, so I’m tempted to make it in a small amount. We have left over Costco chicken from yesterday that he can enjoy.😉

@dobiemom  You’ve got mail. I’m assuming the last letters are “mom” and not “mon”.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Prayers for our list of those needing them.  So much bad news lately.  I received an email yesterday from a couple we met on a long-ago cruise that we've kept in touch with.  The husband, John, was an interesting man who had three careers in his lifetime, a police officer, a psychologist and a minister.  Unfortunately John has Stage IV Melanoma which started on the top of his head and has spread to his lungs, liver and bones.  Treatments have not been effective and have been miserable.  The doctors gave him 6 months to live 5 months ago.  He is weaker every day, little appetite, losing weight and enduring lots of pain.  He won't be with us much longer.  Thanks to their faith they are at peace here at the end of his journey.  Please say a little prayer for John.  Thank you.

So sorry to hear this 😔. Prayers winging their way for John 🙏🏻 

29 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sorry you couldn’t find a better flight.  Like you, I’d prefer a slightly later flight.  But, with luggage direct, you can do self disembarkation if you choose and be off the ship bright and early.  That will eliminate most lines at immigration 🤞, grab a cab and you’re at the airport in 10 minutes.  Taxi is the fastest way there and very cheap - much cheaper than a HAL transfer for the 2 of you.  You should be fine.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

We were in Manzanillo in the spring of 2017 after a Panama Canal transit. We did a tour that took us to Colima, Comala, a coffee roaster, and a museum that had lovely gardens. The lunch at a Comala sidewalk café was good and I found a bakery nearby with delicious Mexican pastries. We were docked next to the Atlantis which carries the deep submersible Alvin. 

45838076_DSC_0283(2).thumb.JPG.71393e1a3d28d751cbf131e144b61173.JPGDSC_0213.thumb.JPG.8c84f458b58541baa5931426228899f7.JPGDSC_0241.thumb.JPG.e59d58dc9a87c069557ae3fa2b751f98.JPG20453125_DSC_0260(2).thumb.JPG.071e3570f582da3f926532985d61b0b8.JPGDSC_0279.thumb.JPG.1a055d607ae7190cb41e6680eb025921.JPG

DSC_0291.thumb.JPG.af43cb07fc0eb367a59cd555e34a5ffc.JPG

DSC_0298.thumb.JPG.4821b3309d5f9e7db2fdcf4f2bb38666.JPG

DSC_0303.thumb.JPG.3e2b4bcb866413c16661ddd68e0167d7.JPGDSC_0304.thumb.JPG.efa565125cbb9dd78b347fe15944d60e.JPGDSC_0306.thumb.JPG.61d9405b35b03b4518835cd260df23f5.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

The Dill Pickle Soup sounded bold plus I had never heard of it. So here is a link to the recipe!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/54804/dill-pickle-soup/

3 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

BIL’s new neighbor sent us home with a container of home made dill pickle soup yesterday after learning that I was from 100% Polish ancestry like her.

What a coincidence!  I just made that for the first time yesterday. It was good, though our preference would be for it to be thicker the next time I make it.

• Like 16

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday. Thank you for the Daily Rich. 

Thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list. Also a prayer for John @StLouisCruisers’s friend. 

I read yesterday’s Daily but ended up being too late to post. I’m one of the few who likes polenta and the meal suggestion sounded really good. We went out for lunch and I had a lazy day because I hadn’t slept well. We both like lamb so today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I think I’d like the roasted radishes too. However, we are having halibut today because that’s defrosted and waiting to be cooked. 

@Seasick SailorJoy, I think your flight should be okay if you disembark early and take a taxi. The airport is very close. We’ve had good experiences disembarking in Ft Lauderdale in the past but I would keep an eye on reports from CC’ers on how it is going now after the pause.  I wasn’t able to do that with our San Diego cruise because we were the first sailing and what a mess that was. But San Diego is different and not comparable with Ft Lauderdale. We are actually staying overnight before flying home because I couldn’t find a flight that would get us home at a decent hour. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It started out cold this morning but will be sunny and up to 70F today so sounds like a winner to me.  Not a gym day today so I used the treadmill instead.  We have no plans to cook anything bold today.  I've always enjoyed pianists.  Parents are the first teachers children have and very important to their development.  Interesting quote.  I'm going to skip the lamb chops and instead will have what Roy had on MS Prinsendam in 2017.

Cheers for those of us happily celebrating good times and happy events.  Just waking up each day pretty darn healthy with wonderful family and friends is reason for me to celebrate.  🙂

We have seen Manzanillo, Mexico on our first South America cruise.  It was a good visit and I'd be happy to share a few photos with you all.  Back in a bit!

So very sorry to hear about your friend Sandi.

Our prayers are being sent for his pain to ease.

Both my mam and Pauline's dad died of cancer and we know how distressing it is.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Dinner last night on our Sarah's hotel room patio.

IMG_20211107_152550.jpg

IMG_20211107_200834.jpg

IMG_20211107_203612.jpg

IMG_20211107_203630.jpg

IMG_20211107_212021.jpg

IMG-20211107-WA0032.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3