O Ship or R Ship for transatlantic cruise?

kjbacon

We are new to Oceania and look forward to our Caribbean itinerary on the Riviera this winter. We are also considering a transatlantic in the fall of ‘22 or ‘23 and that choice is between the Marina or the Sirena. I’ve done several searches in this forum but could use more help please! I’m hoping to learn which ship is more stable in rough seas and whether or not the vibration I’ve read about is a significant factor to you on either size ship. We tend to prefer aft cabins.

Easy decision, we are on Riviera right now, just passed Gibraltar and this is our second TA and it has been smooth sailing. Go with the O Class ship.  Her stabilizers have worked great, even in an evening off The Baleric islands with 50 mph winds and 18’ waves a couple of times.  More dining options and some extra space in the staterooms and activities might also be enhanced although we have not done a TA on a R class ship for a real comparison. 
You will love the TA so “Book it”.

Mauibabes

• Like 3

I did a transatlantic cruise on the Marina in April 2019, we sailed through a blizzard and it was a bit sporty (14 foot seas, gale force winds) but not uncomfortable.  Vibration was never an issue. Your tolerance for rocking may vary from mine but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I'll be on the Marina in January and we are sailing across the Drake passage, had the previous cruise been uncomfortable I wouldn't have considered doing this one.

• Like 1

We have sailed in rough seas  (Irish sea)  & Caribbean on the R ships during some rough weather

We sailed  Marina  TA  same Shepherd Really  during snow storm & 2 storms in the Atlantic  on the northern route

Both were rocky but  we survived

I would  say either of the ships handle rough seas pretty good  from our experience

JMO

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harters said:

Our 2023 transatlantic (Miami to Rome) is on Riviera. I have no logic/science behind this - but I'd assume the larger ship would be more stable.

Never  assume 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Our 2023 transatlantic (Miami to Rome) is on Riviera. I have no logic/science behind this - but I'd assume the larger ship would be more stable.

I have been on several transpacific cruises on an R ship.  I have also been on several Transatlantic cruises on newer/larger ships and on a Transpacific on a newer larger ship.  Based on my experiences I would say that a newer larger ship would be less affected by rough weather.  Although the R ship was not really bad.  OC course no two cruises are exactly the same.  

Although I cannot imagine that any new cruise ship would not be designed to be both more stable and more energy efficient, it is always possible.  

We’ve done transoceanic (both Pacific and Atlantic) on both “O” and “R” ships with some itineraries of 3+\- weeks.

We’ve enjoyed both classes of ships. As mentioned by others, the “Oceania” (O) class ships will have more options. But, IMO, the “Regatta” (R) class ships have a better “ambiance.” 

My advice, try them both.

FWIW: Depending on an R ship itinerary, we usually prefer Sirena or Insignia (ATW). Sirena has the combined Tuscan Grill which makes way for Red Ginger and has Jaques Bistro at lunchtime in the GDR. Insignia (during the ATW) has less menu repetition and the Exec  Chef has better discretionary latitude with the menus.

However, Nautica has among the most unique itineraries and, if you’re headed to Alaska, it’s Regatta territory.

We have crossed a number of times on both types of ship..all but once in an aft cabin. The one time we had a suite on an R ship very far forward.. it was a pretty rough ride a couple of nights. We almost fell out of bed!! 🙂 I'd take either class but if an R ship not forward. Like the various additional options for dining on the O class ships. 

Thank you all for the helpful info. I’m increasingly hesitant about taking an R ship for a transatlantic.  We were on a very similar ship years ago to Cuba and loved our trip but didn’t like the aft vibration. If the Sirena has a similar aft vibration, that could be an issue for us. It’s a very good itinerary with good timing for us but if we aren’t comfortable, it wouldn’t be a good choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kjbacon said:

If the Sirena has a similar aft vibration, that could be an issue for us. It’s a very good itinerary with good timing for us but if we aren’t comfortable, it wouldn’t be a good choice.

I found  all the ships have some vibrations when entering/leaving the port as well  when they are running full speed

We have not been on Sirena  but found the problem on Regatta/Insignia/Marina/Riviera

We even noticed the vibration on the pool deck when leaving the port  due to the thrusters  getting away from the dock

JMO

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I found  all the ships have some vibrations when entering/leaving the port as well  when they are running full speed

We have not been on Sirena  but found the problem on Regatta/Insignia/Marina/Riviera

We even noticed the vibration on the pool deck when leaving the port  due to the thrusters  getting away from the dock

JMO

Cavitation causes vibrations 

• Like 1

Our first O cruise was a TP on Regatta and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  As has been mentioned on many boards, however, if one is sailing in a category below PH on an R class you will be in a tiny bathroom with a shower in which you can barely bend over.  We had no problem booking Sirena for her TA last month (cancelled of course) but we booked a PH with a lovely walk-in shower converted from a tub.

We too will be on Riviera this winter.  Just an A class needed on her.  Enjoy.   

• Thanks 1

In November 2019, (our most recent crossing and last before the pandemic) we crossed the Atlantic on the Sirena, No problems! Crossing the Atlantic on the Marina now, November, 2021. Have never been sea sick (yet!) and not bothered by rocking and rolling. We are expecting this crossing on the Marina to be similar to the 2019 Sirena crossing. We choose a cabin as close to the bow (and on an upper deck) as possible, as we are always looking ahead! 🚢

On Riviera now just behind you and it has been very calm. Only a couple nights near Palma de Mallorca did we encounter a storm. Have a little wind today and the skies have turned gray but temperature is reportedly 72.

No problems other than the volcano in the Canary Islands spewing ash but we are not headed that way any longer. A leisurely 6 day sail to St. Bart’s and on to Puerto Rico and Miami on 12/3. We did get to remove masks this a.m. so that elicited a great cheer. 
Just keep sailing but remember to be flexible because nothing is guaranteed when only the governments have all the control. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

On Riviera now just behind you and it has been very calm. Only a couple nights near Palma de Mallorca did we encounter a storm. Have a little wind today and the skies have turned gray but temperature is reportedly 72.

No problems other than the volcano in the Canary Islands spewing ash but we are not headed that way any longer. A leisurely 6 day sail to St. Bart’s and on to Puerto Rico and Miami on 12/3. We did get to remove masks this a.m. so that elicited a great cheer. 
Just keep sailing but remember to be flexible because nothing is guaranteed when only the governments have all the control. 
Mauibabes

Enjoy the crossing.  Are you sure it was volcano ash and not sand from the African desert?

Just now, jagoffee said:

Enjoy the crossing.  Are you sure it was volcano ash and not sand from the African desert?

Correct. Per Captain of the Riviera, La Palma was canceled due to volcano ash, and not a scirocco (dust storm from Western Africa). On Riviera now.

6 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Correct. Per Captain of the Riviera, La Palma was canceled due to volcano ash, and not a scirocco (dust storm from Western Africa). On Riviera now.

Thanks.  You were going to the island of La Palmas, which is where the volcano is located.  I was confusing it with Las Palmas, Gran Gran Canaria, which is where we stopped on our TA last month.

4 hours ago, ToxM said:

I have specifically booked cabin 8000 for our Sirena TA in March - to make sure we don’t have noise from above and also to enjoy any rough seas we may encounter 🙂

I will report back 🙂

We had 8002 on the Regatta a  number of years ago. While there was little or no noise from above, there was plenty of noise from the crew accessing the door across the passageway starting early in the mornings. Plenty of room and the bathroom had a bath tub. 16 days Barcelona to Stockholm. We really enjoyed the cruise.

Dennis

Edited by AC2
error on arrival city
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AC2 said:

We had 8002 on the Regatta a  number of years ago. While there was little or no noise from above, there was plenty of noise from the crew accessing the door across the passageway starting early in the mornings. Plenty of room and the bathroom had a bath tub. 16 days Barcelona to Stockholm. We really enjoyed the cruise.

Dennis

Useful info thank you 🙂 We appear to be below the card room so not expecting too much noise from there - hoping the crew door is closer to the 8002 than 8000, but we will cope 🙂 I don’t mind being up early in the mornings on holiday, more trough time 🙂

I don’t believe there are tubs in O class PH’s now since the refit, but it will be part of the adventure to find out 🙂