What Are The Disadvantages Of Booking Directly With Celebrity?

mark46

Can I get the same services, prices and Celebrity points by using an online booking site?  Celebrity seems to have a great deal at their site.  Also, having them coordinate flights and transfers seems cheaper than other methods.

Generally, prices are the same across the board. Where the difference appears is in the extras offered by the online TAs.

For example, we booked a Sky Suite on the Apex in January. The price was the same (to the penny!) with several different online booking sites. However, one offered an extra $100 OBC plus $200 more if I booked with my Amex card. the company I went with gave me $750  and I had the option of taking it as all OBC or $500 off the price plus $250 OBC. As I already got $600 from the cruise line, I chose the latter.

There will always be discussions as to which is best and if you have issues with the booking, you MUST go through the TA if you used one, or Celebrity if you booked direct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ty; makes sense

The confusion is that I look online at a very popular site and don't see the 50% discount for the 2nd passenger.  Would I need to call them or other agents to get that deal, plus the extra TLC that an agent gives you.

BTW, can the agent book the flights through Celebrity?

You will see the discount as you continue a mock booking.  Choose a room, and in the upper right corner is a drop down menu with the price breakdown showing the discounted fare.  Just be aware that the extra taxes and fees are not in that breakdown, you must look for that in the fine print way down at the bottom of the page. Then you have the option to add the upgraded drink packages and/or trip insurance, before you pay your deposit.

Both Celebrity and TA's advertise the price for 2 people. Whether 1 is calling it 50% off and 1 isn't, is irrelevant. So, if Celebrity is offering a cruise for $790 pp. When you go to check out, guest one $1054 and guest two will be $527. If the TA is offering the cruise at $790, then they will probably list guest one and two at $790. The 50% off second guess is a marketing scheme. The only way to make a price comparison is to look at the bottom line for both. 

And yes, I consistently get better rates than Celebrity offers by using a TA. It wouldn't be worth it to me if I didn't. 

• Like 1

TA’s “kick back” a portion of their commission to you as an enticement to book with them. In the form of on board credits or gift cards. 
When you book direct you can deal directly with Celebrity after booking if you think you’ll need to for pricing issues or special circumstances. With potential Covid issues I prefer to deal direct. Also it’s an unsettled market out there in the travel industry. Who knows which travel agencies may go out of business in the next 1-2 years?  I feel more comfortable knowing my  deposits are in the hands of the cruise line but even that isn’t 100% safe. TNSTAAFL is my motto. There’s no such thing as a sure thing. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 4

We get the identical perks/OBC/pricing whether we use Celebrity directly or our TA. However our TA either rebates us 10% cash, discounts the cruise by that or gives us refundable OBC depending  which cruise line we're using.

What I really like during these covid times of reduced cruise line staffing is that my TA sits on hold for hours instead of me.  Mine does a lot of bookings so they tend to have more clout with the cruise lines than me doing it myself.

All my deposits and payments are applied directly by the cruise line and not the TA. Make sure your online TA does not charge a cancellation or change fee.  Also make sure that the OBC they're giving you is refundable and not a cruise line cross promotion which is not refundable.

You can still work directly with the cruise line's air program even with a TA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Guindalf said:

Generally, prices are the same across the board. Where the difference appears is in the extras offered by the online TAs.

For example, we booked a Sky Suite on the Apex in January. The price was the same (to the penny!) with several different online booking sites. However, one offered an extra $100 OBC plus $200 more if I booked with my Amex card. the company I went with gave me $750  and I had the option of taking it as all OBC or $500 off the price plus $250 OBC. As I already got $600 from the cruise line, I chose the latter.

There will always be discussions as to which is best and if you have issues with the booking, you MUST go through the TA if you used one, or Celebrity if you booked direct.

Agreed.  I booked a B2B2B2B direct with Celebrity, got $800 OBC for each leg.  A few days later I moved it to a well known TA, he added $2000 (refundable) OBC for 2 of the legs and $1000 (refundable) for the other 2 legs.  Super excited.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It may be a bit  more, dollar-wise, dealing directly with the cruise line, but, we've always felt it was more of an advantage dealing directly with the cruise line , if something went wrong and needed to be addressed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I find that one can get the best deal by booking while on-board and then transferring to an agent within 30 days  that gives addition perks on top of what Celebrity gives you.    BTW if you are booked with a TA the reservation will go directly to the agent without it needing to be transferred unless you specifically specify and sing a form saying you want it in your name only.

I find the agents I work with give me better service that Celebrity and as you may read many people call their travel planner and wait long times for return calls are to get through.    With my agent I just text or email him and he takes care of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"What Are The Disadvantages Of Booking Directly With Celebrity?"

One that no one seems to have brought up yet:

Celebrity isn't going to call you to tell you about a repricing for your cruise that would provide you with a discount, nor are they going to call to tell you about a 20% off promotion, nor are they going to call you about anything else that reduces the cost of your cruise or provides unexpected additional OBC.

A good travel agent will be watching for all of these on your behalf.

• Like 2

I personally have a foul taste in my mouth about TA’s. Granted we just had a bad one but I find it much easier and a lot less stress just dealing with the cruise line.

We were supposed to get $275 OBC from TA in addition to what the cruise line was going to give us but TA lied about what we should be getting. We had 10’s of 20’s of phone calls and emails. Hours of time to straighten everything and we never changed anything on that cruise.

Its along story with this TA and we will never ever use a TA again. But yes the secret is getting a good one and as I’ve stated before on CC no one can share the good ones. Not allowed on CC and in turn no one can share the bad ones.

I agree that if you have an issue I prefer too to deal directly with Celebrity not through a TA and then to Celebrity. Just us.

• Like 4

This is based on the preCovid market.
This subject pops up every couple of weeks and there is never a definitive answer. If you are adverse to any risk you will book with the line, and if you want to do some research and, if you are lucky to find the right online agency with little no risk and save a decent amount of money in the form of a obc, or other percentage that will be refunded to your credit card if not used. This, to me is the main benefit. The cruise line obc is use it or lose it and the things you have to use it on are grossly overpriced and not be bought otherwise.

We we’re lucky early on to find two agencies that work very well for us. We’ve done this for 18 years and if/when we book there are no questions at all. We know their restrictions as far as hours and we work around it. We know where we want to go, when usually a 2-4 month window, and the most we are willing to pay. If we can’t find something in our parameters, we don’t go, period. Hence we have never paid more and hoped for a price reduction. The biggest we’ve ever got is about $150p.p.

We get lucky and find a price drop, or change cabins, we shoot them an e-mail and done. We have never not gotten either one. Never even had to call them for anything after booking.

I wish that I would have kept track of this but I never thought we have done as much cruising as we did. Just an idea, we have 494 days at sea and about 80% are in balcony’s. We’ve also have been lucky enough to latch on to four group sailings where the savings is even greater. I feel very confident that it would greater than 10%.

This might be the end, between the Always Included, and the big spread between what they want and what we thinks it’s worth, is too great. No big deal.

We usually deal with a TA and have changed them many times.   The problem sometimes is contacting them if you have issues and the cruise starts on a weekend.   Many don’t have weekend hours.  

We finally found a good TA. Problem that happened was he had a stroke and it ended up that we had no one to deal with all of our future we’re basically lost.   Things did work out but it was a pain. 

The last few cruises have been thru Celebrity. It makes it easier to resolve any issues and the difference in price isn’t that much different when booking a cruise today.  In the past there was a lot to be saved by using a TA. 

It is up to you.  Shop around and see what you save and if you feel it is worth it. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

I agree that the TA choice is important.   I've been using the same one for about 5 years and suddenly post Covid has really disappointed me so I dropped her and have a new one at the recommendation of a friend.   Referral of a trusted TA is important.

I think the decision may also be based on the level of room you book and the additional "discount" or Refundable OBC which is on offer.   Suites, even SS's, are now often priced at $18,000-20,000 for a 11-13 night cruise.   As others have suggested 8-10% is a good round number to deal with -- 

On a B2B2B I can get a $6,000 credit so yea I'll put up with a little inconvenience but have not experienced any trouble except with Celebrity on some issues with On Board Booking Future Cruise Certificates.  The trouble I have is the initial booking through celebrity pre-transfer to agent.   They can't seem to figure out how to transfer them to an agent and having trouble applying them themselves.

If I were traveling in a regular room and the OBC was only $200-300 I would probably just deal direct with Celebrity.   

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We started 9 years ago strictly booking with the cruise lines. Then once I found cruise critic in 2016, I had an awakening that we could actually get additional perks if we either booked or transferred an existing booking to a “online” TA. Prior to that the only time we talked with a local TA about booking a cruise, they wanted $100 for their efforts. That’s when we realized we could avoid paying a TA and book it directly with the cruise line.

So we did some online research as well as got some TA references from folks on CC, and after interviewing 4 different TAs, we finally took the plunge and booked our first 21 day B2B Crystal cruise for about $15k with a TA and got $600 off the bill. If we had booked directly, we wouldn’t have received any discount, so it a win. Right? But, at the same time over the following months, we just weren’t feeling the love, even though the discounts started getting a little better. So we kept up the search for that “perfect” TA.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago and to answer the OP’s question.

After much trial and tribulation, we have finally found a TA that we work well with and is there for us when we need her to do something for us. We also usually get between 8-10% back on any bookings we book through her. She now gets all of our bookings, which are quite a few, except for one cruise line, Celebrity. 

There is just something about the service we have continually received from the various CVPs over the years that always seems to elate us. But I will say we are now Elite+ and usually have between 8-12 Celebrity cruises booked at any one time, mostly in Aqua or Suites, so there is something to be said for them to continue to go above and beyond to keep us elated. Sure we’re leaving some TA benefits in the form of OBC on the table. But knowing we have an “insider” on our side when it comes to servicing as many Celebrity cruises as we usually maintain, especially since the pandemic hit, out weighs for us any TA perk we might be missing out on. But, at the same time, if we ever start to feel like “the thrill is gone”, then our favorite TA will start getting all of our new Celebrity bookings from that point on.

Sorry for being long winded on this subject, but I can get like that sometimes. 😎

• Like 5

2 hours ago, miched said:

We usually deal with a TA and have changed them many times.   The problem sometimes is contacting them if you have issues and the cruise starts on a weekend.   Many don’t have weekend hours.  

We finally found a good TA. Problem that happened was he had a stroke and it ended up that we had no one to deal with all of our future we’re basically lost.   Things did work out but it was a pain. 

The last few cruises have been thru Celebrity. It makes it easier to resolve any issues and the difference in price isn’t that much different when booking a cruise today.  In the past there was a lot to be saved by using a TA. 

It is up to you.  Shop around and see what you save and if you feel it is worth it. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Our online travel agency doesn’t work nights or Sundays so we don’t check pricing then. We book it and maybe check prices once a week and only around business hours. The only time I’ve ever contacted them, besides price drop or cabin change is to change credit cards. We do our homework, 47 cruises and 0 issues. Easy Peasy.

• Thanks 1

Strange; am I the only one who find's this cruise line does 'bait and switch' every time I look at one of their ads?

We are very 'budget' cruisers, and when we see 'always included' in EVERY ad, then find out if we take the price they advertise, the amenities are NEVER included.  In actuality, every cruise line 'always' includes these amenities IF YOU PAY EXTRA FOR THEM! If you do not, they don't.

Bait and switch!

1 hour ago, generichandle said:

Strange; am I the only one who find's this cruise line does 'bait and switch' every time I look at one of their ads?

We are very 'budget' cruisers, and when we see 'always included' in EVERY ad, then find out if we take the price they advertise, the amenities are NEVER included.  In actuality, every cruise line 'always' includes these amenities IF YOU PAY EXTRA FOR THEM! If you do not, they don't.

Bait and switch!

I’d rather suggest it’s all part of the “cruising game”. Every cruise line does it, just in different ways. Funny thing, on our first 5 cruises starting about 9 years ago, 4 with HAL and 1 with Celebrity, we never knew you could “refare” a booking. We always thought whatever deal you got at the time you originally booked the cruise that was it, even if a better promotion popped up the next day or a year later. Who knew! The key is to figure out the rules of each cruise line’s game and then use that knowledge, if possible, to improve your bottom line even if it’s after final payment. At least that’s what we’ve learned so far.

BTW Cruise Critic over the years has played a major role in helping me to learn as much as I can about the art of managing a booked cruise, regardless of the cruise line, than any other source. Just saying … Thanks Cruise Critic!! 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Our online travel agency doesn’t work nights or Sundays so we don’t check pricing then. We book it and maybe check prices once a week and only around business hours. The only time I’ve ever contacted them, besides price drop or cabin change is to change credit cards. We do our homework, 47 cruises and 0 issues. Easy Peasy.

I missed a significant drop on the weekend one time when my online TA wasn't open.  It was then that I learned that if you see a "deal" you place a 24hr hold reservation on it.  When the TA is available you send them the reservation number of the hold and let them deal with it from there.

My current TA's agency has hours 7 days a week so it's less of a problem but I still use the hold to secure deals that might be short lived.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I missed a significant drop on the weekend one time when my online TA wasn't open.  It was then that I learned that if you see a "deal" you place a 24hr hold reservation on it.  When the TA is available you send them the reservation number of the hold and let them deal with it from there.

My current TA's agency has hours 7 days a week so it's less of a problem but I still use the hold to secure deals that might be short lived.

I’m glad it worked for you. As stated, I only book at prices that I think makes it worth it. We started cruise in February 2003, we got hooked and checked much more often. Wouldn’t you think that in almost 19 years that there would have been a significant price reduction during the their normal business hours? At the time I think it was 8am to 8pm, mst Monday thru Saturday.

We don’t worry about it now because we haven’t found anything that we feel is worth our hard earned money. We’ve had all our shots so Covid isn’t a factor. We haven’t given up hope yet but we aren’t counting on it.

As others have mentioned, some TAs will offer additional perks such as OBC. 

We tend to book the lower priced cabins on the ship; therefore, we won't be reciving thousands or even hundreds in OBC.  The most a TA has ever offered us is free beach towels and tote bags.

We booked our first few cruises through a good TA.  She then went part time.  After having to fight with someone in the office to get a significant price drop honored, we startied handling all our own bookings.  Price drops, cabin changes or any new promotions we see online can quickly be applied to our reservation by calling Celebrity ourselves.   

• Like 1