Medallion App Texting

awinte2

On 11/22/2021 at 8:28 AM, awinte2 said:

Reaching out to cruisers on ships or just off.  Have you used the Medallion App to converse with friends or family on board the ship.

My iphone 6 is not compatible to the Medallion App and do not want to spend a lot on a new phone .  My husband  will have the app on his Android so we can use it for everything else.   

Appreciate and thankyou for all replys.

It works but is a power hog.

For those that do not want to deal with it yet old ocean concierge system  (shipname.princess.com) still works for messaging and other functions. You can log devices that will not run medallion into the internet using it.

The mediation app is good for ordering food and drinks but I do not leave it running otherwise.

It's easy to turn off the audible alerts and just use vibration. With my phone it wouldn't bother anybody even if the phone was sitting on a hard surface. I have it set to max vibration but I sometimes can barely feel it vibrate in my pocket. My wife's phone on the other hand is crazy loud when it vibrates. For instance this morning we were sitting in the living room and could easily hear her phone vibrating in the bedroom down the hall. It was way louder at that distance than my phone sitting right next to me on a hard table top. It would definitely annoy people big time.

As for checking the phone in the theater that should be a keelhauling offense.

On 12/5/2021 at 7:10 AM, MissP22 said:

Surely a vibration couldn't be that annoying, could it?

How many nearby people might actually hear it?

Think of it, with the miracle of modern technology, you can now be in the Princess Theater and still get a notification each time you get a call or text from someone wanting you to switch Medicare plans or help a prince get money out of his county or find out that your grandchild needs money for bail in a foreign country or learn your electricity will be shut off if you do not send iTunes gift cards immediately or .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

If it works....yes, you can chat with friends and family.  You can also chat with Customer Service desk.  Instead of buying a new phone, how about investing in a tablet device?  It will accomplish the same without the cost of a new phone.  There are many devices available:  Samsung, Apple, Amazon, etc.  

The app cannot be used on an Amazon Fire tablet.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Think of it, with the miracle of modern technology, you can now be in the Princess Theater and still get a notification each time you get a call or text from someone wanting you to switch Medicare plans or help a prince get money out of his county or find out that your grandchild needs money for bail in a foreign country or learn your electricity will be shut off if you do not send iTunes gift cards immediately or .....

Since I installed the WhatsApp app I haven gotten a single unwanted text message. 

If it does become that annoying I'll be sure to turn it off during the show. 

On 11/23/2021 at 12:07 PM, Roberto256 said:

If the message is something like:

"Your loved one is in the medical center with an acute medical issue.  We need your immediate approval to treat..."

Sound, or courtesy for others?

If you’re carrying your Medallion the medical staff would be able to locate you to notify you in person of an emergency without sending an alarming text message.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:51 AM, billco said:

I get a haptic alert on my Apple Watch when somebody texts me or some other notification. No one else is disturbed. I get enough info on the watch to tell if it merits looking at my iphone. 

The question isn't whether people are clever enough to use their phones without disturbing others,

but whether they are courteous enough to do so.

My observation ... people on ships are pretty much the same as on land.

Some people are courteous, but many are not.

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

The question isn't whether people are clever enough to use their phones without disturbing others,

but whether they are courteous enough to do so.

My observation ... people on ships are pretty much the same as on land.

Some people are courteous, but many are not.

My observation on recent cruises on the Regal and Majestic Princess...Most people were courteous, a few were not.

I got notifications when someone messaged through app but our entire party also have iphone and even those who did not pay for internet were able to use IMessage to message each other the entire time.  So much better then through the app.

Edited by cmp03

• 7 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 5:32 PM, cmp03 said:

I got notifications when someone messaged through app but our entire party also have iphone and even those who did not pay for internet were able to use IMessage to message each other the entire time.  So much better then through the app.

Thanks! Great information. Would seldom use it (because DH & I are mostly together) but great if there is urgency.

On 12/14/2021 at 4:32 PM, cmp03 said:

I am pretty sure you need internet or data to use IMessage. 

On 7/27/2022 at 9:02 AM, awinte2 said:

I am pretty sure you need internet or data to use IMessage. 

I paid for internet but 3 people in our group didn't pay for internet but were all able to all still use iMessage even without paying for internet.  It could have just been a fluke but it worked.  They were connected to the ship wifi to be able to use the app but they didnt pay for the additional internet capability.  This was Thanksgiving Weekend on the Princess Regal ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 4:18 PM, awinte2 said:

Would the wifi to use I message on the ship be free or do you have to buy?

Wifi is a wireless connection from your device to an access point and router on the ship.  Once you have that you are on ship's INTRAnet and you can use MC App.  If you want to retrieve emails or browse on World Wide Web, you need access to the INTERnet which is an additional login after connecting via wireless (Wifi) to the INTRAnet.  Apparently, Apple's iMessage works without an internet connection.  However, it is only going to work that way to other Apple device users.