Caribbean cruise time zones - does ship time adjust?

Jay Bee

I know this has been posted before but I can't find it. Does Celebrity adjust ship time to correspond to local time in ports in the Caribbean? I'm specifically wondering about San Juan, PR which is on Atlantic Standard Time. The ship leaves from FL (EST). If I get this wrong, we risk messing up an independently arranged excursion. Thanks.

Historically Celebrity has followed local time. The confusion comes in with other Cruise lines(Carnival for one) that sometimes don't, then the local vendors and tour guides confuse it even further. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I've never had a Celebrity, RCI or HAL cruise where the ship didn't adjust to local time. I always check for each port, just to be safe, but I've yet to experience a ship not making the adjustment.

I have sailed Celebrity when the ship did not change to local time. I causes confusion

15 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

I have sailed Celebrity when the ship did not change to local time. I causes confusion

I can imagine!

What I don't understand is captains' rationale for not adjusting to local time as we sail from time zone to time zone. Maybe they had cruises to Newfoundland early in their careers and that 1/2 hour difference completely befuddled them. They decided never to change ship's time in the future!. 😇

BTW, we've had cruises that coincided with the beginning of Daylight Savings Time, and the captains for those cruises had no problem adjusting to local time, even when some ports/countries don't observe DST.

I would say 90% of the time on my cruises it was changed to local time.  But 90% is not 100% so it is important to check the daily program to know for sure.  For independent tours you just need to make sure the tour operator is in sync with you.  I know this complicates things if you are booking tours for right when the ship docks, but otherwise it should be fairly easy to negotiate.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I can imagine!

What I don't understand is captains' rationale for not adjusting to local time as we sail from time zone to time zone. Maybe they had cruises to Newfoundland early in their careers and that 1/2 hour difference completely befuddled them. They decided never to change ship's time in the future!. 😇

BTW, we've had cruises that coincided with the beginning of Daylight Savings Time, and the captains for those cruises had no problem adjusting to local time, even when some ports/countries don't observe DST.

If he gets confused, I would imagine all he has to do is get out and ask someone.

I've never been on a Celebrity sailing that did not follow local time.

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I can imagine!

it is done when the ship is in the port time zone for that day only and then the time jumps back  to the original. If the one day time zone is a part of the ship moving through time zones and continuing in that direction then it will be port time .

They adjusted the time on our October cruise 2 days before we actually got to Honduras. The most confusing part was using a cell phone and fitbits for the time because they do not change until you actually get into the time zone so we were out of sync with the ship for several days coming and going.

• Thanks 1