Cayman’s not feeling the love for cruisers…..

jimbo5544

Guest BasicSailor

The Cayman's where the rich look out for the rich and the poor, well they just look out .

Caymans are well enough off without cruise ships . It just hurts the smaller businesses on the Island.

But it's their call. Safe is by far better than Sorry 

Once you've been there done that , It's another port to stay on the ship the second time around.

11 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

The Cayman's where the rich look out for the rich and the poor, well they just look out .

Caymans are well enough off without cruise ships . It just hurts the smaller businesses on the Island.

But it's their call. Safe is by far better than Sorry 

Once you've been there done that , It's another port to stay on the ship the second time around.

It is their island, no disputing that.

19 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

Grand Cayman is our absolute favorite port. It is safe to walk around (unlike Jamaica or Belize), very clean (unlike Roatan) and the snorkeling/diving is absolutely amazing (WAY better than Costa Maya, Cozumel, Nassau, and much easier to get to than Roatan or Belize). Outside of cruising, already spent a week in Mexico, 2 weeks on Roatan, and 2 weeks in Belize. If the cruise ships stop going to Cayman, then will probably book a 2 week trip there as well. Pretty sure I will absolute NOT be bored.  

Sounds...well...  Part of the enjoyment of traveling is experiencing other cultures.  Then again, when some of us travel, we look for the nearest McDonalds's for an "edible" meal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

Grand Cayman was always a stop that read "One of us is not like the other".  Agree with other posters - a bit boring and uneventful.  2nd least port for us.  Least (by far)?  Montego Bay.

I disagree about Montego Bay; we went on the Bob Marley bus excursion and had a blast.

27 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It’s easy, RCL made a calculated decision based on the country’s decision process to date (or lack there of).  Disagreeing is fine.

I assume rcl talked to someone to send out this email for march 27. So far out??!! I have no idea what their decision process was. 

Just saying looks like pretty far into the future they will be closed .. further that previously thought. Dont count on it as a port for a while. 

20211124_073749785.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Sounds...well...  Part of the enjoyment of traveling is experiencing other cultures.  Then again, when some of us travel, we look for the nearest McDonalds's for an "edible" meal.

I've heard many people say they like Grand Cayman because it's clean and the people there speak English. Not much of an endorsement! Like others posting here, I find it boring. Best thing about it is the water shuttle ride from the ship.

11 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

I've heard many people say they like Grand Cayman because it's clean and the people there speak English. Not much of an endorsement! Like others posting here, I find it boring. Best thing about it is the water shuttle ride from the ship.

If you don't like diving, snorkeling, water sports, beautiful water, beautiful beaches, turtles, etc., I guess it could be boring. 

• Like 3

Haven't been to GC; one of the few places we've missed.  But it is clear to me that the more impoverished countries are welcoming back cruise ships more quickly.  In places where cruise dollars mean folks get to eat, Covid related precautions necessarily take a bit of a back seat. 

My best island experiences have generally been in those poorer, less Americanized countries.  I've personally seen the joy in peoples faces upon our return.  Warms my heart.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:25 AM, Tippyton said:

Look for Burger King instead. Cheeseburger Reef is just offshore.

48 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

And being able to walk around the streets and feel relatively safe.

I'm in the Love Caymen Island group.  We did the stingray city and stopped at 7 mile beach.  Then walked around town and bought a ridiculously expensive slushy drink in a souvenir cup.  We #1 ordered the wrong size and #2 didn't realize the price was in KYD not USD - which I learned that day is higher than USD.  
I'd love to go back. 

On 11/27/2021 at 9:26 AM, firefly333 said:

I watched a blog yesterday saying one HAL ship is going to the caymans in december. It's a new ship I never heard of and bigger spenders, but its progress if one ship is allowed there.

I saw that as well.  

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The Cayman Islands don't seem to know of a cruise ship stopping anytime soon.

https://www.caymanport.com/ship-schedules/

Blogs are popping up left and right. I'm not even trying to know.  Today Don's blog says there will be protestors. A simple google search I found the name of the ship. 

https://www.caribjournal.com/2021/11/26/grand-cayman-holland-america-first-cruise/

Lol and it's even a carnival brand. .. they think they are going. Many other reports seem to think so too. How many sources do you need. Island time blog mentioned it last week. 

38 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Blogs are popping up left and right. I'm not even trying to know.  Today Don's blog says there will be protestors. A simple google search I found the name of the ship. 

https://www.caribjournal.com/2021/11/26/grand-cayman-holland-america-first-cruise/

Lol and it's even a carnival brand. .. they think they are going. Many other reports seem to think so too. How many sources do you need. Island time blog mentioned it last week. 

Since he didn't find the story first he'll never be convinced.

Ship has stop at Grand Cayman before any other ports, have 100% of the crew and pax vaccinated, and have a pcr or antigen test 2 days before embarkation.

Seems like a good plan.

40 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The link I posted was to the official Cayman Port Authority website. Apparently they haven't gotten the memo. And who knows what impact omicron might have.