Is the end in sight for the Australa cruise ship ban??

From Cruise Passenger: https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/exclusive-local-cruises-allowed-from-february-1-next-year/

24 NOV 2021

NSW is set to become to the first state to allow cruising, with a date set for February 1 to begin intrastate itineraries. The major breakthrough ends 21 months in which cruise ships have been banned and also ends Australia’s isolation from international shipping.  It is the last country to end its cruise ban.

The NSW government is working on a new order which will allow international cruise ships to sail in NSW state waters, carrying only vaccinated NSW citizens. Cruise Passenger is not aware of any other restrictions at this point.

It is anticipated an announcement, to be made next week, will spark a scramble to recruit and crew ships, which would normally take between 60 and 90 days to return to service.

P&O Australia and Carnival would, be expected to be the first to try and take advantage of the new moves.

It is believed the government will not renew the Biosecurity Act ban on foreign flagged cruise ships, which was is due to expire on December 17.

Details around crew quarantine and other measures set by the federal health authorities have yet to be revealed, though with twice vaccinated foreign students about to arrive it is hard to see how this would now prove difficult.

International sailings are expected to start in April – though this being the tail end of what would have been Australia’s cruise season, ships from the major fleets like Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, Cunard and others are unlikely before next September and October.

The breakthrough came in a meeting chaired by a member of the Premier and Cabinet Office staff.  NSW Health chief Kerry Chant also attended along with senior executives of the cruise industry.

The meeting took place following a strong lobbying by Cruise Lines International Association Australasia MD Joel Katz and the business community led by Business Sydney’s Paul Nicolaou......

Continue reading >  https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/exclusive-local-cruises-allowed-from-february-1-next-year/

Here is the kicker:

Mr Katz said: “Discussions with the NSW Government about a future resumption of cruise operations are ongoing. At this stage there has been no announcement and further discussions are needed.”

Apart from the kicker this is some good News!

The question is what will the Australian government say / do??

But at lest the cruise lines might have a date to aim for.

But I still think it will be March / April 2022 before we might see a cruise ship back in Australia.

• Like 2

IF (and that’s a big “IF”) cruises initially started as NSW only cruises, what ports would they call on?

Presumably they’d sail in and out of Sydney. 
Newcastle, Wollongong, and Eden have had cruise ships call in the past, haven’t they?

I wonder if there is any potential for Port Macquarie or Coffs Harbour. 
Where else?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

IF (and that’s a big “IF”) cruises initially started as NSW only cruises, what ports would they call on?

Presumably they’d sail in and out of Sydney. 
Newcastle, Wollongong, and Eden have had cruise ships call in the past, haven’t they?

I wonder if there is any potential for Port Macquarie or Coffs Harbour. 
Where else?

Scenic cruise to lord Howe island? I’d love that more than Moreton island!

• Like 2

I think most people keen to cruise will, at this point, take a cruise to nowhere out of Sydney. In fact perhaps just remaining anchored in Sydney Harbour would work for many of us. Whilst we are missing to visiting the ports in Sth Pacific & NZ, for many it is the inexpensive cost & shipboard experience we miss.

The no cruising time has highlighted to many just how expensive 'resort' holidays in Australia cost when compared to cruising. I saw on book of faces one poster stunned at the cost of a week at a local  beach resort for he family of 5, and that didn't include most meals!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

To be Mr Doom and Gloom again, beware of future lockdowns if Covid numbers explode in Qld and NSW.  Lockdowns have not gone away, just on the bag burner, here's hoping they do not return which will impact on any cruise restart here.  Victoria is stlll out of control re the Lurgy.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

To be Mr Doom and Gloom again, beware of future lockdowns if Covid numbers explode in Qld and NSW.  Lockdowns have not gone away, just on the bag burner, here's hoping they do not return which will impact on any cruise restart here.  Victoria is stlll out of control re the Lurgy.

And the Covidiots will be out of control again this weekend. Mark my words. 

Covid protests: Australia suffers its worst day of pandemic amid raging  Delta variant outbreak - CNNWhat's wrong with calling the Melbourne protests 'far right'? | The  Strategist

Cruises to nowhere aren't of interest to the cruise lines. They carry more risk than less. Cruising is coming back properly, just like it has in the UK, US and Europe. 

It takes a strong PM to announce the reopening date to the world. So, thanks Jacinda :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

Cruises to nowhere aren't of interest to the cruise lines. They carry more risk than less. 

I disagree, many lines have done them (P&O, Royal, Carnival, Celebrity)in the past year in year out and continue to propose future dates to do them,

Financially, they work as they really have a captured audience.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I disagree, many lines have done them (P&O, Royal, Carnival, Celebrity)in the past year in year out and continue to propose future dates to do them,

I agree with your comments. Short cruises, whether they are cruises to nowhere or to a port, are very profitable for the cruise companies. People will spend more per day on board on a short cruise compared with a longer cruise.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Correct & they must be good - I met you on that 3N cruise back in 2015 🙂 

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with your comments. Short cruises, whether they are cruises to nowhere or to a port, are very profitable for the cruise companies. People will spend more per day on board on a short cruise compared with a longer cruise.

And not just more spent on the onboard spend. The short cruises can be maybe 2.5 - 3 x the daily fare cost, but for what the cruises are, are good value compared to say a long weekend in a city hotel

NSW Govt said this morning if Covid cases surge in NSW then lockdowns could return. Sorry to be Mr Doom and Gloom, but the truth is out there folks and any further lockdowns will impact on re start of cruises.

6 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

Does the inclusion of Australians on Singapore cruises suggest domestic interest has dropped off for 'local cruises' over the 2 years of donuting the ship out of the harbour?

I would say possibly but more to do with Aussies being allowed to leave the country for leisure and Singapore being one of the allowed countries  to go to.

This is the thing isn't it. How far can any of us plan ahead while world Governments politicise Covid for their individual political aims?

Reading the Australian this morning about the so called 'nu variant' in South Africa was met with general, widespread knowledge of its origin, and a much favourited 'We're open, we're travelling, we'll carry on travelling and exclude Africa if required, when required' response. The Nu variant has been sequenced, with the majority of its cases (less than 10) occurring early 2021.

But.... (starts up the money printing machine) PLAGUE SHIPS WILL BRING IT!

11 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

This is the thing isn't it. How far can any of us plan ahead while world Governments politicise Covid for their individual political aims?

Reading the Australian this morning about the so called 'nu variant' in South Africa was met with general, widespread knowledge of its origin, and a much favourited 'We're open, we're travelling, we'll carry on travelling and exclude Africa if required, when required' response. The Nu variant has been sequenced, with the majority of its cases (less than 10) occurring early 2021.

Don't know where you're getting your information from regarding the new variant, listed now by WHO as a variant of concern and named 'Omicron'. Oh, you said - The Australian. It used to be a useful newspaper. Sadly, no longer.

I think the politicisation of covid is going in the opposite direction to that which you're alluding to. Our illustrious (lol) leader doesn't want to close anything because he's trying to take credit for Australia opening up. Soon we'll be swamped with this new variant and all the pain will start all over again. There won't be any cruising from or to Australia until at least late 2022.

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Don't know where you're getting your information from regarding the new variant, listed now by WHO as a variant of concern and named 'Omicron'. Oh, you said - The Australian. It used to be a useful newspaper. Sadly, no longer.

I think the politicisation of covid is going in the opposite direction to that which you're alluding to. Our illustrious (lol) leader doesn't want to close anything because he's trying to take credit for Australia opening up. Soon we'll be swamped with this new variant and all the pain will start all over again. There won't be any cruising from or to Australia until at least late 2022.

By the time it took you to read the news, the WHO had named the variant. There are now 89 laboratory identified cases, after a review of the original 10 profiles. It will take 2-3 weeks to build a profile of the variant, but experts have already said:

DBCC6451-FDD7-4C49-9EAF-E7C9173EE4CA.jpeg.687f20bd1ac2e2662fdc751dd3999bfb.jpeg
DB8A2E02-F247-496B-99FA-705EC5F1B994.jpeg.7be2dca04e4953d7fa4c9fc4a2a9cbee.jpeg

We shall see what doom the newspapers spread this time and how pollies will politicise it. As for cruising, I’ll repeat my observation that it’s now safer than flying in recirculated air. Many conclusions to draw from that.

14 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

Yesterday I read on the news (not the Australian) that the UK is so concerned about this new variant detected in South Africa, that it has closed its borders to people coming from southern Africa. How does that jell with your comments about the 'Nu variant'?

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2021 at 9:27 AM, ollyoeno said:

Does the inclusion of Australians on Singapore cruises suggest domestic interest has dropped off for 'local cruises' over the 2 years of donuting the ship out of the harbour?

Singaporeans mostly cruise to gamble so the cruise companies have no problems with customers. Also the cruises were never restricted to Singaporeans only. Last year I watched a video of a NZ expat couple who took a three day cruise to nowhere and read a review article from an American who went to Singapore and did a cruise. Australians couldn't cruise in Singapore because we physically couldn't get to Singapore😂.

Anyway I think this bubble is more to do with Singapore trying to fill hotels than their cruise ships. You have to remember the tourist industry consists of more than just cruising and it has all been impacted by Covid.