Currency question

Jjg34219

We will do a Viking Rhine Getaway cruise in the spring (hopefully!). What would be a good amount of Euro to bring for a week long cruise and what denomination? Im assuming for any paid dining, buying gifts, etc using a CC would be the way to go. Im thinking Euros for tipping and miscellaneous for things like using restrooms if thats the norm.

Restrooms generally require a 50 cent coin, which AFAIK is hard to get in the US pre-trip [or in Europe, for that matter].  You should also check tipping guidelines for the countries you are traveling to, as few expect as generous tips as US waiters do [and the local residents don't want tourists to raise their expectations – they already get a 'living wage' per EU labor laws].

@Jjg34219I generally bring along some Euros so I'm ready for things like tipping tour guides & bus drivers as well as small souvenirs etc where credit cards may be an annoyance. I order about 50-100 Euro in smaller denominations so I don't have to go searching for change. ATMs are handy too but then you normally get 20 Euro notes, too big for small tips. 

Enjoy your trip!!
Paul

• Like 1

If you are spending time in Switzerland pre- or post-cruise, remember that the Swiss use the Swiss franc, as opposed to the euro.  We spent 3 days in Lucerne post-cruise, and used credit cards almost exclusively, but obtained a few francs from an ATM at the train station for incidentals.

Tipping in Europe is not easy as the 5 Euro bill is the smallest bill. So for tips less than 5 Euro you need coins... 2 or 1 Euro. We are no "hard" tippers. Being in the US many times I´m more the generous one. So I usually tip 10% of the bill in a restaurant (unless food/service was really bad). For a tour guide I give 5 Euro/per person. Do not get any bills higher than 50 Euro!

Since the pandemic even the Germans tend a bit more to cashless payment. We have NFC chips in our cards which allow sort of a contactless payment.

Usually I pay cashless when the amount is 10 Euro and higher. Smaller stuff I pay cash. Now in supermarkets or larger stores I even pay smaller amounts cashless. They encourage you to do so.

steamboats

Last month while in Switzerland, many places were accepting card transactions only, especially coffee shops, snack spots.

For every trip to Europe we do the same thing:

1. Remember to take left-over euros from last time.
  2. Hit an ATM right after landing & take out a decent amount in  varying denominations (ATM in Europe will have a better exchange rate than most places in the US)
  3. Every time you make a  small purchase (coffee, snack, convenience store), use a euro bill in order to get change in coins.
  4. Hoard the 2 & 1 euro & 50 cent coins, ditch the rest into tip jars.  

Always handy for everyone in your party to have a few coins in their pocket for pay toilets, tips, street performers, etc...

Lastly, always go home with some euros!  Need an excuse to return and spend them!

Edited by mapsd
  • Like 2

We do the same as mapsd.  It works well.  There are ATM's everywhere, so it's easy to get some cash, and then I make a point of getting coffee, a pastry, etc, with it to get some coins.  The rest of the trip I try to keep a small handful of coins in my purse.

Between this site and TripAdvisor, someone can usually tell. you where the ATM in your arriving airport is. FWIW, they are frequently called "bankomats."

And, yes, we have a small drawer of them at home too, for our next trip!

I always bring Euros with me.  It is easier (for me).......I prefer knowing I have what I need before I leave home. Call me crazy and others will say I am wasting my money doing it this way and they can certainly have their opinions but I travel on my own and do what I think is best for myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I always bring Euros with me.  It is easier (for me).......I prefer knowing I have what I need before I leave home. Call me crazy and others will say I am wasting my money doing it this way and they can certainly have their opinions but I travel on my own and do what I think is best for myself.

I also bring Euros with me. In Canada almost all banks charge $5 to use a foreign ATM. I prefer to go to a currency exchange, where I can usually choose the bills that I want (generally as €5 and €10 notes). I too bring home any unused Euros, as well as coins, to have them for the next trip.

• Like 2