Is a "Regular" Balcony on Crown Princess Adequate for a 28-night Cruise?

jimdee3636

My wife and I are seriously considering a Crown Princess 28-night Hawaii/Samoa/Tahiti (round-trip from L.A.) sailing in March of 2023. All suites and mini-suites are booked, but some "regular" balconies are still available. On paper, the overall square footage (231 sq. ft, inc. balcony, I believe) is probably adequate, but are the drawers, closet, and bathroom storage spaces roomy enough for a lengthy cruise like this? And does Princess allow you to book a balcony cabin but then immediately get on a waiting list for a mini-suite or full suite if and when one becomes available?

We had no problems with our room on a 28 day cruise. But this tends to be subjective. We are trying to take just a carry on each for a 10 day. Normally both hubby and I take on full size suit case and have had no problems with space. The closet is large and open. There are 4 or 5 shelves next to the closet in an enclosed closet with the safe. Each side of the bed has a night stand with 2 drawers. You might try to see if there is a video of your room.

You might be able to wait list for a mini.  There is a list, but availability will depend on many factors.  

Also, the square footage of any cabin includes the balcony.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

The only thing that might not work for you is that there is only one chair in the cabin.  This was the way it was the last time I sailed before covid on Regal.  You can ask for a second chair, but may not get it. I was told from the head office.   Before covid all inside, outside and regular balcony cabins lost the second chair. Some people don't mind sitting on a bed.  But for 28 days.....

Edited by geocruiser

Thanks to all who have replied. Although we do like to dress for dinner, this will of course be a warm (or hot) weather cruise, so we won't be packing bulky jackets or sweaters. We'll pack relatively light and spend some of our Carnival shareholder OBC on laundry services.

• Like 1

We did that cruise on Emerald Princess which is the same as Crown. We like to book a Caribe Deck balcony as, on this class of ship, the balcony is larger than standard and is also half-covered. That was a fantastic cruise and the balcony and cabin were totally sufficient.

Remember,  unless you have gigantic luggage you can store much of it under the bed.

Edited by Thrak

We did a 35 night cruise in an inside cabin on Sea Princess, so a balcony on one of the Grand class ships would be a luxury compared with that. Storage is excellent. I tend to be an over-packer but have never had any problems fitting all our stuff in the closet area, drawers etc in Princess cabins. Typically we pack for about a 9 day cycle of clothing, with extra formalwear, and layers for cooler weather. We used to plan on doing laundry once a week which worked well but now we've reached Elite we can just get it down twice a week or so. 😊 We both have hanging toiletries bags which are useful for storing bathroom stuff we don't use daily.

Enjoy your 28 night cruise. We love the longer cruises, they are so relaxing.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Thanks to all who have replied. Although we do like to dress for dinner, this will of course be a warm (or hot) weather cruise, so we won't be packing bulky jackets or sweaters. We'll pack relatively light and spend some of our Carnival shareholder OBC on laundry services.

Princess  has self serve laundries on most floors.  We pack a small rubbermaid container with laundry pods and dryer sheets.  If you don't want to do this they have a vending machine with the laundry supplies.

• Like 1

My last 33 days on Princess have been in inside cabins. The longest cruise, though, was just 16 days long. We don't mind it. There are plenty of opportunities to get fresh air and see views from the public decks (except for the three days I was quarantined to my cabin on one of those cruises).