How to get the best wine selections?

kjbacon

On 11/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, kjbacon said:

We are new to Oceania and are trying to figure out our best approach to a most important topic … drinking! We enjoy the occasional cocktail but are predominantly red wine drinkers that are partial to a good Bordeaux. Are the wine selections the same in both drink packages and the wine package? We will be able to choose our 6 bottles of wine that are complimentary in our suite and are they the same selections as the packages? We would rather not bring our own. Thanks in advance for all your help.

When we cruise on “O”, we have a few cases shipped to are hotel—then we just take it to the ship as luggage- never having a problem.  Then wines they have just are so so wines.

We have decided to go with ease and convenience. We are from the east coast, both Philadelphia and Vero Beach with plenty of wine options but without the desire to take care of our own beverages for our cruise. If we can’t manage with the beverage package wines by the glass and the included wines in the suite, we will order the better wines, drink more cocktails, and stick with Regent moving forward.

4 hours ago, kjbacon said:

We have decided to go with ease and convenience. We are from the east coast, both Philadelphia and Vero Beach with plenty of wine options but without the desire to take care of our own beverages for our cruise. If we can’t manage with the beverage package wines by the glass and the included wines in the suite, we will order the better wines, drink more cocktails, and stick with Regent moving forward.

A very reasonable approach.

I just accepted a part time consulting position helping a new dining venue set up its wine program. I have a far better understanding of wine pricing models, from the wineries, importers, wholesalers, and retailers than most do. Therefore, on one hand I can bemoan the fact of Oceania’s poorly prepared overall wine program. OTH, I also understand that the vast majority of Oceania cruisers aren’t oenophiles and are satisfied with the swill/plonk wines served. Those balances will have to shift to effect changes to the system.

I agree with an earlier poster that claiming to be the finest cuisine at sea while maintaining such a poor package wine list is oxymoronic. Just a lot of Teatotallers and non wine drinkers that disagree.

I would add that when an O cruiser orders a bottle of better red despite the price because one has excess OBC to be used or lost, it's disappointing to have it served nice and warm at room temperature.  Apparently the term "cellar temperature" has not made its way into the lexicon aboard ship.  We have no qualms about requesting an ice bucket for a +/-- 5-minute cool down.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

I would add that when an O cruiser orders a bottle of better red despite the price because one has excess OBC to be used or lost, it's disappointing to have it served nice and warm at room temperature.  Apparently the term "cellar temperature" has not made its way into the lexicon aboard ship.  We have no qualms about requesting an ice bucket for a +/-- 5-minute cool down.

+1, Nor requesting a decanter.

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A very reasonable approach.

I just accepted a part time consulting position helping a new dining venue set up its wine program. I have a far better understanding of wine pricing models, from the wineries, importers, wholesalers, and retailers than most do. Therefore, on one hand I can bemoan the fact of Oceania’s poorly prepared overall wine program. OTH, I also understand that the vast majority of Oceania cruisers aren’t oenophiles and are satisfied with the swill/plonk wines served. Those balances will have to shift to effect changes to the system.

I agree with an earlier poster that claiming to be the finest cuisine at sea while maintaining such a poor package wine list is oxymoronic. Just a lot of Teatotallers and non wine drinkers that disagree.

Thank you. It’s the best decision for us as my husband likes things simple and this is absolutely the simplest option. He’s already irritated by the different choices, limitations, ifs ands and buts. Regent’s drink setup is a much better match for us but I’m anxious to try Oceania, primarily for the food. When we’ve had a glass of wine that we’ve enjoyed at the lounge on Regent, they will happily send a couple bottles to our cabin. The selections are better in the wines and the spirits. Still, I’ve reserved Jacques for our first night (can’t wait) and two LaReserve dinners. As you said above, how can the cruise line with the best food have such a whacky beverage setup!?! 

My best to you in your consulting position. It sounds like great fun and it sounds like you are the right guy/girl for it!

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:54 PM, cruisingxpert said:

I second Flatbush.  Bring some of your own.  I'm primarily a wine drinker and I find Oceania's wine by the glass choices disappointing.  Also, as Said in previous posts, if you find one you like, good chance they will run out of it and they don't offer a replacement choice.  I love O but I don't understand why they advertise the finest food (and it is very good) but don't put much work into a decent wine by the glass choices.

This is the most recent Suite choices and wines if you want to substitute them for the liquor choices

In Suite Menu.pdf 59.07 kB · 79 downloads

Is there a corkage fee for bringing our own wines in different ports and drinking in the restaurants?

Also being a first timer on Oceania, is the OLife beverage package just the House Select beer and wine with lunch and dinner? We choose the OLife Bev package when we booked.  If so, how do I upgrade online, when I looked the website wants $59.95pp per day for the Prestige Select package. Do we upgrade once we are on the ship?  There is very little information on the O website about what comes with the OLife options.

Edited by terrydtx

23 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Is there a corkage fee for bringing our own wines in different ports and drinking in the restaurants?

Also being a first timer on Oceania, is the OLife beverage package just the House Select beer and wine with lunch and dinner? We choose the OLife Bev package when we booked.  If so, how do I upgrade online, when I looked the website wants $59.95pp per day for the Prestige Select package. Do we upgrade once we are on the ship?  There is very little information on the O website about what comes with the OLife options.

as in taking wine off the ship to onshore restaurants?  Gotta ask why you’d want to do that - particularly in countries with their own wine regions (opportunity to try them). In any case, you’d have to research the local alcohol rules and your chosen restaurant policies.

As for the O Life booze upgrade to Prestige: you do that once onboard at guest services where you’ll get a new ID card.

I think he means wines that they buy in ports. If so then the answer is yes, the corkage applies to these the same as any wine you brought on at embarkation and drink in the restaurant. Bottom line on the corkage, any wine that you didn't purchase from the ship you would be required to pay corkage on. Exceptions are; Oceania Club wine, which you won't get, but aren't missing anything, wine given to you by any officer, or other employee. Wines that come in the 6 bottle setup in the upper suites. Wines given as gift by a TA I'm not sure about, but they probably had to purchased as a Bon Voyage gift by the TA, so the corkage is probably waived on them also. 

Also, yes, the House select is only wine and beer at lunch and dinner only. It is the Wines by the glass menu, which is the same selection even if you upgrade the package. Beer is what is available on the bar menu. 

Edited by ORV

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

as in taking wine off the ship to onshore restaurants?  Gotta ask why you’d want to do that - particularly in countries with their own wine regions (opportunity to try them). In any case, you’d have to research the local alcohol rules and your chosen restaurant policies.

As for the O Life booze upgrade to Prestige: you do that once onboard at guest services where you’ll get a new ID card.

I am sorry I am referring to brining wine onboard and drinking in the ship's restaurants. I know onshore we will get much better deals on wines than on the ship. 

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Since you are new, there is a huge caveat you must learn. Only wine and/ or beer that is on the bar list is included in either drinks package. The Terrace might be advertising a special beer or “ wine of the day”. They are often displayed on the bar counter as you walk in. Ask First! They typically are not included in either drinks package and incur a charge. Same goes with Specialty beers and sake listed on the menu in the Red Ginger. Not on the regular bar menu, extra costs. Many examples, always ask first.

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We choose the OLife Bev package when we booked.  If so, how do I upgrade online, when I looked the website wants $59.95pp per day for the Prestige Select package. Do we upgrade once we are on the ship?  There is very little information on the O website about what comes with the OLife options.

Once onboard you can upgrade to the Prestige package for $20 PP P/D 

• Like 1

0500855C-0A45-49B3-9979-875D1A8F429B.thumb.jpeg.51446f540d2c2cc594d6a8cd85aeac18.jpegLast week’s La Reserve wine bar offerings (for a price) on occasional days.  When they don’t serve the tasting menu that night, but not every one of those nights.  Didn’t figure out the schedule.  

Edited by Clutj

6 minutes ago, Clutj said:

Last week’s by the glass list on Riviera.

D2F2B3D5-D1F5-4F8E-AC41-082D3AB8B35E.jpeg

Thank you for this, so if we have the House Select Bev package, we can order any wine by the glass from this list with lunch and dinner? We would be very happy with this list of wines.

Yes, that was the House Select with-meals list last week on Riviera (doubles as the Prestige list for any time).  These were also the wines “paired” with 4 select courses on the GDR dinner menu each night.  Should be 90% the same for a couple months.  The whites were generally nicely chilled.  The pours were always generous.  The Somms were generally on top of refills, sometimes leaving the white you are drinking in a nearby ice bucket to make it faster.  They do not leave a bottle on the table.   It is helpful to mention to the Somm the first time you see them at the meal that you’d like a different wine with each course.  Sometimes tell them which other ones, if you know, or ask their recommendation. They are more likely to check back with you at the right time, and will often go ahead and pour a second glass ahead of time.  Most of the Somms try hard to be responsive, but sometimes they have too large an area to cover.

Edited by Clutj

4 minutes ago, Clutj said:

Pretty sure I have never seen a Zin by the glass.  There were a couple by the bottle on Riviera last week:

F49706D0-F72F-412A-9473-A7E9C6E88BC3.thumb.png.ec4df3bebd7725af9536dfe94f955d40.png

Thanks so much for posting this list! We do love our Zins. We typically purchase wine by the bottle at dinner but occasionally might do by the glass depending upon what we're eating. Perhaps this will change by the time we board. Again, thanks for the pic!!

BTW, I find the more expensive wines by the bottle on Oceania to be listed at only 2 to 2.5x retail.  The cheapest ones are sometimes at 4-6 times.  (The Backhouse Pinot (retail $7/bottle, so over 6x markup) on the BTG was terrible.  No Somm ever recommended it to me as a pairing at dinner…)

Edited by Clutj
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

We will be sailing on Marina (granted in another year so we know wines will change) but I have to say I'm disappointed there isn't one Zinfandel on this list.

Is White Zinfandel different than  others?

There is  one by Robert Mondavi on the by the glass list

I am not a wine connoisseur  so maybe not  the same  🤔

I was really hoping that Oceania had thrown all the wretched Germaine Champagne overboard somewhere, served it to the crew during shutdown, or whatever necessary to get rid of the expletive before cruising resumed. Nope! Still top listed bubbly!  😩

Just now, LHT28 said:

Yes white Zin is very different from Red Zin. We don't drink white zin...sorry but no.

• Haha 1

Just now, LHT28 said:

When people refer to Zinfandel, it is a red wine. White Zinfandel comes from the same grape, but there is no maceration and very little contact with the skins and the juice during fermentation. All juice is white, therefore without the contact with the skins the wine remains white. It also losses a lot of the flavors and tannic structure.