Test now required for all non-US international arrivals

CKCruising

"Canada is also requiring all air travelers coming into the country, apart from those from United States, to be tested at the airport even if vaccinated. They will also be required to isolate until they get their test result."

I haven't seen a start date, but my guess is it would be effective immediately.

PCR Test still required as well to board the plane.

Edited by CKCruising
  • Thanks 1

So, flying to Canada from UK required a pre flight PCR negative test, a test at  Canadian airport of arrival and isolate until a negative test result.  Will we need to isolate in one of those government approved hotel at our expense?

• Like 1

If you are vaccinated and haven't arrived from one of the 10 countries announced today you can isolate at home until you get the negative results.  That is the way it was written today.  Who knows if they will change it again in 15 minutes.  I haven't found any mention of any changes to land border crossings.  We plan on driving to Baltimore for our Jan 2022 cruise.

We have what the media say, then we have what the WHO actually said:

Persons who are unwell, or who have not been fully vaccinated or do not have proof of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and are at increased risk of developing severe disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities that present increased risk of severe COVID-19 (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes) should be advised to postpone travel to areas with community transmission.

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/who-advice-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-the-sars-cov-2-omicron-variant

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, dog said:

So, flying to Canada from UK required a pre flight PCR negative test, a test at  Canadian airport of arrival and isolate until a negative test result.  Will we need to isolate in one of those government approved hotel at our expense?

I read the CTV news article and it said you could isolate at home as long as you had a safe isolation plan.

Edited by K_e_short

With all the other Arrivecan stuff, customs, baggage pickup, and now testing Canadian airports are going to be absolutely chaos.  Who knows how layovers will be handled.  One positive might be that you won't have to worry about testing prior to disembarkation of ship now unless the airlines or departure airport require it.  Going to need a holiday to calm the nerves, effort, and anxiety when you're done your trip.

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

So now the question is whether cruising, which leaves and returns from the U.S, BUT travels to non U.S. countries falls under that rule.

That's what I'm looking for too, but I can't find the actual announcement on the Government of Canada website yet.  It's just the additional countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

We have what the media say, then we have what the WHO actually said:

Persons who are unwell, or who have not been fully vaccinated or do not have proof of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and are at increased risk of developing severe disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities that present increased risk of severe COVID-19 (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes) should be advised to postpone travel to areas with community transmission.

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/who-advice-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-the-sars-cov-2-omicron-variant

Yes! Thank you for always posting factual info from the direct source. Verbiage is completely different then outright “do not travel” for over 60. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ALD18 said:

With all the other Arrivecan stuff, customs, baggage pickup, and now testing Canadian airports are going to be absolutely chaos.  Who knows how layovers will be handled.  One positive might be that you won't have to worry about testing prior to disembarkation of ship now unless the airlines or departure airport require it.  Going to need a holiday to calm the nerves, effort, and anxiety when you're done your trip.

I am confused by your statement that you don't have to worry about testing?

We'd still need to get a PCR test up to 72 hours before departure. The difference was that they dropped the requirements to test on entry into Canada.

Now that requirement is back in place. So you have to test before you leave for Canada and then again when you arrive and wait at home until the test comes back (unless you are coming back from the U.S. or Canada).

• Like 2

To a degree it was an assumption that the test at the airport would now be the PCR test to enter Canada.  If you have to do the test at the Canadian airport before entering one would "hope" you wouldn't have to do another before arriving at Canadian airport.  Seems needless and waste of money other than if you test positive you never get to Canadian airport.  Two tests withing 72 hours seems excessive.  Will wait and see as things unravel.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

To a degree it was an assumption that the test at the airport would now be the PCR test to enter Canada.  If you have to do the test at the Canadian airport before entering one would "hope" you wouldn't have to do another before arriving at Canadian airport.  Seems needless and waste of money other than if you test positive you never get to Canadian airport.  Two tests withing 72 hours seems excessive.  Will wait and see as things unravel.  

The test at the airport does not replace the one to get on the plane. I don't think that you have to pay for the one at the airport, but I haven't heard that discussed.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

The test at the airport does not replace the one to get on the plane. I don't think that you have to pay for the one at the airport, but I haven't heard that discussed.

In the press conference yesterday, it was asked directly and the answer was the government pays for the one at the airport.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dog said:

No isolation will be at home.

Just last week we got our appointment for our third dose. We were so happy and finally seeing ourselves on a cruise ship.

Today wondering if we will make final payment in December or once again cancel our cruise to Hawaii in March. 

All this running around looking for tests and Hawaii maybe not re-opening (especially now with new variant) really puts a damper on things.

Any of you thinking the same or are you going on with your plans?

13 minutes ago, LouCoop said:

No isolation will be at home.

I may be screwed, I don't have a direct flight from YOW. I have a domestic connecting flight, so based on these rules, I'll have to stay at point of entry until I get test results before I can continue home. We'll see how things shake out in the next couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, LouTheGlue said:

I may be screwed, I don't have a direct flight from YOW. I have a domestic connecting flight, so based on these rules, I'll have to stay at point of entry until I get test results before I can continue home. We'll see how things shake out in the next couple of weeks.

That's a good question. My guess would be that it depends were you pass customs. If you are in transit and pass customs at your last destination might be ok but if you need to pass customs at the first airport you land in Canada I really don't know what happens then.