US to cut Pre flight Test to DAY BEFORE flight

CruisinFinsUp

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Don't include me in that count. I've found Pearson no better or worse than most other airports with a similar passenger volume.

To be more clear, my issue with Pearson is it's size, and prefer smaller airports for departure when we can purely from the getting in and getting out perspective.  A pain for us, mostly because I am too cheap for on-site parking - lol. We now 'splurge' on Valet park and fly... which helps, but I  really don't like having to park and shuttle. 🙁

In my defence, having moved from Fredericton where we were spoiled with an airport where you parked in front of the entrance and there were 4 gates (2 incoming, 2 outgoing) and 1 tiny baggage carousel, I am having a hard time adapting. We fly from Hamilton when we can, a nice mid-size airport where I can still park and walk in. 😀

• Like 3

Our cruise is Jan 2 and now it is really in doubt.

all is closed jan 1, the pearson airport testing site opens at 5 am , our flight is at 8 am...so cant make it back on time....have to be in line 3 hours ahead...

quarantine for 7 days...so how can we get onto the ship...

returning, have to take PCR test at airport and quarantine for 3 days....

Just cant see how we can cruise under such conditions. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

all is closed jan 1, the pearson airport testing site opens at 5 am , our flight is at 8 am...so cant make it back on time....have to be in line 3 hours ahead...

Shoppers Drug Marts are usually open on holidays, although maybe not the actual pharmacies inside? Certainly worth checking before you start the cancellation process.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Keep an eye on things as the whole testing scenario is morphing at a very rapid rate.  Check all the pharmacies in your area to see if they do testing AND are open Jan 1, if so you are good.  Don't think Canadians have to quarantine on the way in.  As for coming home, again sounds like Canadians do not have to quarantine.  They do need the PCR test upon arrival, but you are allowed to go home, quarantine there, and wait for results.  There are other issues with Canadian airport authorities kicking up their heals because the have neither the staff or floor space to do the required testing at the airports.  The common word is chaos throughout.  Unfortunately with your dates your reaction time is really under the gun.  Keep a close eye on the media and find as many government web pages giving details.  With the Omicron as it is this stuff is changing almost hourly.  Best of luck and hope you can get the trip done😀

I wonder if they will segregate arrivals at the Canadian airports, so that non-US arrivals go through different lines so they can be given the extra arrival testing info that the US arrivals don’t need.  If not, it’s likely going to make the customs lines longer…oh, joy.  Hopefully the Nexus lines will still move relatively fast, since the majority of people in that line will be coming from the US.  Fingers crossed…

1 minute ago, bookbabe said:

I wonder if they will segregate arrivals at the Canadian airports, so that non-US arrivals go through different lines so they can be given the extra arrival testing info that the US arrivals don’t need.  If not, it’s likely going to make the customs lines longer…oh, joy.  Hopefully the Nexus lines will still move relatively fast, since the majority of people in that line will be coming from the US.  Fingers crossed…

The article I read this morning was extremely gloomy by the airport authorities.  As stated above they have no where near enough staff or floor space to do the testing in the customs area.  They said with current situation arriving passengers could expect several hour delays waiting to get tested.  I can only imagine what it would be like at Pearson with 4-5 BIG planes dumping passengers at the same arrival time.  They did state there was a marginal chance that to stream line things that passengers would be given self test kits, allowed to go home to quarantine, and do the required testing withing a given time frame.  Again, this stuff is all changing extremely fast as everyone reacts to the unknowns of Omicron.  Heres hoping the science and medical cats can figure it out and our current vaccines work.  That may relieve some pressure across the board testing wise.  If the vaccines don't protect heavens knows what will happen and unfortunately, in my opinion, would be very bad across the board for travel for some time. 

• Like 1

I've just finished an extensive review of media reports on Biden's announcement this afternoon, and the only change that has an immediate impact on Canadians is the reduced window within which to get your COVID test before flying into the US, now 24 hours instead of 72 hours.

It remains to be seen if additional changes will be announced in the days to come, particularly as he was silent on land border crossings, but it seems that much of the speculation can now be put to rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I've just finished an extensive review of media reports on Biden's announcement this afternoon, and the only change that has an immediate impact on Canadians is the reduced window within which to get your COVID test before flying into the US, now 24 hours instead of 72 hours.

It remains to be seen if additional changes will be announced in the days to come, particularly as he was silent on land border crossings, but it seems that much of the speculation can now be put to rest.

Is it 24 hours or One Day? We have tests booked at 10am on a Friday and we fly at 12:30pm on a Saturday.

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

You didn' say where you were cruising from.

Is it the U.S.?

Buy the Switch Health at home Antigen test and do it at home on January 1st.

There is no 7 day quarantine for the U.S.

You do not have to quarantine for 3 days. You have to stay at home until the pcr test you get when you arrive comes back.

That last part is really the only deterrent

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

You didn' say where you were cruising from.

Is it the U.S.?

Buy the Switch Health at home Antigen test and do it at home on January 1st.

There is no 7 day quarantine for the U.S.

You do not have to quarantine for 3 days. You have to stay at home until the pcr test you get when you arrive comes back.

That last part is really the only deterrent

What I thought was the tests coming in from the US were random (not everybody) and which if given would require 1-3 days at home (or self-isolate) until you get results. Amounts to the same thing from a planning perspective, you have to allow for 'potentially' requiring self isolation for up to 3 days coming back. 

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

To be more clear, my issue with Pearson is it's size, and prefer smaller airports for departure when we can purely from the getting in and getting out perspective.  A pain for us, mostly because I am too cheap for on-site parking - lol. We now 'splurge' on Valet park and fly... which helps, but I  really don't like having to park and shuttle. 🙁

In my defence, having moved from Fredericton where we were spoiled with an airport where you parked in front of the entrance and there were 4 gates (2 incoming, 2 outgoing) and 1 tiny baggage carousel, I am having a hard time adapting. We fly from Hamilton when we can, a nice mid-size airport where I can still park and walk in. 😀

It’s been a long time since I’ve lived in the Fredericton area but I totally remember parking in front of the terminal!  😂  It’s also why I love the Buffalo Niagara Airport. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Is it 24 hours or One Day? We have tests booked at 10am on a Friday and we fly at 12:30pm on a Saturday.

25 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Let's hope it is a calendar day 24 hours instead of being "on the clock" 24 hours.

The vast majority of media reports state 24 hours. However, I just finished watching a YouTube video of Biden's announcement and he clearly states one day. This is consistent with the CDC's older statement of 3 days: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html  It's also consistent with the cruise lines' switch to days in keeping with CDC direction.

For those wanting to see Biden's announcement:  

The pertinent part for Canadians starts at 20:00.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s been a long time since I’ve lived in the Fredericton area but I totally remember parking in front of the terminal!  😂  It’s also why I love the Buffalo Niagara Airport. 

One time we were checking to  (direct southern charters) and  the family behind us realized the 15ish year old son didn't bring he passport. Not a flicker of concern, "wait here, I'll go home and get it" said the dad.  Where else can you be in line at and airport ready to go, and then calmly say "I'll just swing back home for something I forgot"!

For us, the only potential delay was in the Xray security as my cousin worked it and so we had to catch up on family news 😀

We've only done Buffalo once (pre Covid) but remember it being pretty quick in and out also.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

No, only the major international airports have on-site commercial COVID testing facilities. The Ottawa International Airport, for example, has none. Moreover, those with them don't operate 24/7. For example, the Switch Health clinic at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport  is only open Sunday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., so early morning, late afternoon and evening, and all day Saturday travellers are out of luck. Compare that to Pearson's Switch Health hours, 4 a.m. to 11 p.m., 7 days a week.

But, unfortunately, it is not located within either Terminals 1 or 3, is it?  I believe that it 'offsite', presumeably somewhere near the airport and accesssible by ?

6 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

Its not the reduction to 24 hour testing before entry that is concerning me.  Apparently there is also a discussion that the US will require ALL non-citizens arriving to quarantine for 7 days upon their arrival, regardless of their vaccination status.   I read someplace that currently non vaccinated are recommended to quarantine but it’s not mandatory.   If this blanket quarantine is enacted, before my arrival to the US on Saturday, obviously no cruise for me.   Also, if they have this blanket quarantine for all non-citizens coming from international, does that cruise ships?   So many questions, so many unknowns.  Gotta love this stress.  

This is exactly why I cancelled my Celebrity Caribbean Cruise yesterday, (and saved myself $$$ to spend another day), ?long down the road of (cruise) travel!

21 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

One time we were checking to  (direct southern charters) and  the family behind us realized the 15ish year old son didn't bring he passport. Not a flicker of concern, "wait here, I'll go home and get it" said the dad.  Where else can you be in line at and airport ready to go, and then calmly say "I'll just swing back home for something I forgot"!

For us, the only potential delay was in the Xray security as my cousin worked it and so we had to catch up on family news 😀

We've only done Buffalo once (pre Covid) but remember it being pretty quick in and out also.

Buffalo has always been my favourite airport along with John Munro airport in Hamilton (which also has parking in front).  It's a breeze flying south from either one of them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Like everyone ever, I hate flying from Pearson but I guess it has its perks!

I wonder with the new rules if the timeframes for testing will adapt. We have a Covid test clinic just opened last week here in Niagara (SrxHealth - walking distance to our place!) that  started as a just Monday-Friday.  I just checked, and starting this Sunday the 5th, they are now booking (and walk-ins) for 7 days a week.

Well, I must be one of very few travel souls who loves flying from Pearson!  I just make sure that I have had a good breakfast,, (in the 'Club Lounge' of 'Sheraton Gateway', am well hydrated, remain calm & 'go with the flow'!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GeriatricNurse said:

But, unfortunately, it is not located within either Terminals 1 or 3, is it?  I believe that it 'offsite', presumeably somewhere near the airport and accesssible by ?

It is in the Value Park garage, which is connected by a train to each of the terminals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Agree about the timeline, 24 hours predeparture is different then a full day before. We depart Pearson at 12:30pm on a Sunday and have our precruise testing booked on the Saturday at 10am…guess I can always switch that to a later appointment on Saturday. 

My bigger question is are the US requiring an antigen test as suitable for Celebrity or will they want PCR tests as Canada currently requires? 

If I were you, Barwick Cruiser, I would switch it a after 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, (just to be on the safe side, and to reduce your stress level, pre Check-In, I would hope)!