New COVID check in procedure

zteamtwo

This is the OP.  My post was not about whinning and the situation at MIA had nothing to do with people arriving early.  The problem was Oceania hired a company called Eurofins to administer the Covid test and that company did a poor job.  I am in contact with people on the next Riviera sailing (Dec 13), and they have no knowledge of Eurofins, so maybe a change has been made.  Frank Del Rio and Bob Binder (CEO& President) are high quality managers and will take corrective actions.  They might even give us an apology letter and possible future credits before our cruise ends.  I will let you know.

• Like 1

Anecdotally as this may help OP in some way … 

Covid testing at Southampton is done by umbrella company - IE P&O and Cunard are handled by Carnival. This led for our sailing on the 28th to very long queues for those arriving by car who were sent to the Carnival testing facility…we were lucky as being dropped off at the terminal we got to use the testing that was done for in essence foot passengers. 

I wonder if the general chaos suffered by the OP is down to mismanagement of a contractor used to NCL bigger ships etc?

Just a thought.

OFF TOPIC 

For those who sailed back to Miami on Marina and Rivera …

How did Oceania handle the Passenger Location Form requirements for Greece, Italy, Malta, Spain, and Funchal (Portugal) ?

Did passengers have to complete them or did Oceania do it ?

Oceania needs to provide a covered space for those in line during the current procedure!  We had an early assigned time (11 am) and about a 20 minute wait in the sun. By the time we were done around noon the line was incredibly long with folks waiting in the hot Sun for hours. 

We have been told that the ship is at near capacity, about 1,130 pax (but it doesn’t feel crowded). 

8 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Oceania needs to provide a covered space for those in line during the current procedure!  We had an early assigned time (11 am) and about a 20 minute wait in the sun. By the time we were done around noon the line was incredibly long with folks waiting in the hot Sun for hours. 

We have been told that the ship is at near capacity, about 1,130 pax (but it doesn’t feel crowded). 

It never feels crowded - great “space passenger ratios” on both O and R ships.

As for the time in the sun awaiting Covid test: it is my understanding that this is a new O included perk. It’s called “complimentary pre-tan” (and when it’s raining, it auto-converts to “pre-rust”). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, zteamtwo said:

This is the OP.  My post was not about whinning and the situation at MIA had nothing to do with people arriving early.  The problem was Oceania hired a company called Eurofins to administer the Covid test and that company did a poor job.  I am in contact with people on the next Riviera sailing (Dec 13), and they have no knowledge of Eurofins, so maybe a change has been made.  Frank Del Rio and Bob Binder (CEO& President) are high quality managers and will take corrective actions.  They might even give us an apology letter and possible future credits before our cruise ends.  I will let you know.

They have more  on their mind today!

Jancruz1

1 hour ago, TrinaLC said:

I disagree. If Oceania assigned boarding times based on their anticipated handling rate, then the lines should progress smoothly. If however large numbers of passengers choose to ignore their assigned boarding time and show up hours early, thus creating the long lines, why should Oceania accommodate and/or facilitate those actions? I think a good long suntan is exactly what they need.  Did you award your children for irresponsible behavior?

4 hours ago, zteamtwo said:

I do not understand how you could possible know that a lot of people did not show up early and how you could also know that it did not cause a back up/problem.  
Since you were there, you would have a better idea than the rest of us. Seven or eight steps does seem like a lot.  I suspect only a few of the steps where managed by any single contractor.

Did you arrive at your scheduled time?

Enjoy your cruise.  The bad part is over.  

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

Yes we arrived at scheduled time 11AM.  I can assure you the lines were not caused  by early arrivals, but, were caused by a poorly chosen  contractor.  I was THERE.  I am sure other people on this cruise will back me up.  We will wait to see how the Riveria Dec 13 check in goes.  I still don't understand why we had to repeat the Oceania check in , inside the Oceania building.  We had a "printed" Boarding pass which included a picture and a barcode  and we did that at home.  That delay is "on" Oceania, not the Covid contractor. Other people on cruise feel the same way. One couple has 16 cruises on Oceania.  This our third. Concierge cabin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zteamtwo said:

Yes we arrived at scheduled time 11AM.  I can assure you the lines were not caused  by early arrivals, but, were caused by a poorly chosen  contractor.  I was THERE.  I am sure other people on this cruise will back me up.  We will wait to see how the Riveria Dec 13 check in goes.  I still don't understand why we had to repeat the Oceania check in , inside the Oceania building.  We had a "printed" Boarding pass which included a picture and a barcode  and we did that at home.  That delay is "on" Oceania, not the Covid contractor. Other people on cruise feel the same way. One couple has 16 cruises on Oceania.  This our third. Concierge cabin.

We board on 1/28 in Santiago de Chile/ San Antonio . We’ll do our normal routine and sighted in Valparaiso that day, have lunch, then travel down for a hopefully requested 3:00 boarding.

Guessing that in order to maintain an efficient flow of passengers at each of the assigned boarding times, Oceania would have evenly assigned boarding times, and since in your opinion you didn’t have early arrivals, how many passengers would you estimate were there in line for that 11:00 boarding? Trying to get a feel for what we should expect at 15:00! 

Edited by pinotlover

5 hours ago, Jancruz said:

They have more  on their mind today!

Jancruz1

Their guests should be the most they have 0n their mind.  I know they usually do but this is very important. 

13 hours ago, ICT lineman said:

OFF TOPIC 

How did Oceania handle the Passenger Location Form requirements for Greece, Italy, Malta, Spain, and Funchal (Portugal) ?

We completed out Italy form prior to arrival since we boarded in Trieste (Marina).   We did not complete any forms for Spain and Portugal and no one asked for them upon going ashore.

On 12/5/2021 at 9:37 AM, ICT lineman said:

OFF TOPIC 

I was on Riviera 17 NOV. No Spanish PLF required unless in transit (meaning departing country at that port). So, cruises disembarking BCN would need a PLF, but not pax at a port for the day.

We anticipated getting tested the day before in POM, but am I to understand that we need to be tested at the dock? 

Sorry to be last minute Larry. We also sail on 4Jan, and this will be our first COVID effort. We aren't within the 20 day window to pre-board.

1 minute ago, AlexCherie said:

We anticipated getting tested the day before in POM, but am I to understand that we need to be tested at the dock? 

Sorry to be last minute Larry. We also sail on 4Jan, and this will be our first COVID effort. We aren't within the 20 day window to pre-board.

Read the current SailSafe FAQs (11/24/21) on the O website as well as your O Ticket Contract regarding pre-testing.  
Though pre-1/17/22 cruises will have mandatory testing at the pier provided by O, the “recommended” pretest during the 72 hr window is essential if you want O to cover Covid related costs should you be denied boarding at embarkation due to a positive Covid test at the pier.

FWIW: There’s a zillion posts across numerous O threads here on CC regarding this (e.g., the December 21, 2021 ATW cruise (and segments)). You may want to follow the SailSafe FAQs and CC O forums religiously before your cruise happens.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Read the current SailSafe FAQs (11/24/21) on the O website as well as your O Ticket Contract regarding pre-testing.  
Though pre-1/17/22 cruises will have mandatory testing at the pier provided by O, the “recommended” pretest during the 72 hr window is essential if you want O to cover Covid related costs should you be denied boarding at embarkation due to a positive Covid test at the pier.

FWIW: There’s a zillion posts across numerous O threads here on CC regarding this (e.g., the December 21, 2021 ATW cruise (and segments)). You may want to follow the SailSafe FAQs and CC O forums religiously before your cruise happens.

Well, yes I did. 

I says that Oceania will provide pre testing - not whether or not they will accept tests done outside the dock. Which I would presume would lower wait times to get in.

I should have been more specific I guess. Is anyone getting their own testing done? Is it allowed?

Just now, AlexCherie said:

Well, yes I did. 

I says that Oceania will provide pre testing - not whether or not they will accept tests done outside the dock. Which I would presume would lower wait times to get in.

I should have been more specific I guess. Is anyone getting their own testing done? Is it allowed?

Until 1/17/22 cruises, the pier test is MANDATORY (but getting a pretest is still VERY IMPORTANT - read the CC threads and the various O documents.

From 1/17/22 onward, passengers must provide test results (though O will provide testing at the pier for $99/person.

OFF TOPIC

My contact at Regent passed along the question to Oceania. The reply from Oceania was :

’…. forms that can be filled out prior to departure, the expectation is that guests will fill them out prior to traveling.

For forms that must be filled out while the guest is traveling (onboard), the onboard teams (Reception, Concierge, Destination, Internet Center) will endeavor to assist as best that they can. PLFs, as with every other immigration and entry requirement, unless otherwise stated, are the responsibility of the guest but we are happy to assist them with the process.’

2 hours ago, ICT lineman said:

OFF TOPIC

My contact at Regent passed along the question to Oceania. The reply from Oceania was :

’…. forms that can be filled out prior to departure, the expectation is that guests will fill them out prior to traveling.

For forms that must be filled out while the guest is traveling (onboard), the onboard teams (Reception, Concierge, Destination, Internet Center) will endeavor to assist as best that they can. PLFs, as with every other immigration and entry requirement, unless otherwise stated, are the responsibility of the guest but we are happy to assist them with the process.’

They will make it so hard that we will not want to travel. 

On 12/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

And does that “recommended” pretest need to be a PCR test? (I am thinking about timing issues regarding obtaining testing and results up here in Ohio before we board Riviera in Miami on 1/14/22.)

Edited by CintiPam

31 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

And does that “recommended” pretest need to be a PCR test? (I am thinking about timing issues regarding obtaining testing and results up here in Ohio before we board Riviera in Miami on 1/14/22.)

Antigen *or* PCR for the pretest

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

You may want to follow the more-than-several CC threads that continue to discuss the testing. Also, it’s important to keep apace of the constantly updating SailSafe FAQs on the O website.

That said, O has started sending out very specific instructions to upcoming cruisers. Here’s part of what was recently sent to folks on Marina, Riviera and Insignia cruises embarking in December (and before you possibly join the ranks of those who need to post that the test is only “recommended,” read the last paragraph).

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING

All guests will undergo COVID-19 testing prior to embarkation. In addition, we strongly recommend that all guests consult with local government websites to determine the country-specific information for your port of embarkation as many countries require a negative COVID-19 PCR test that is not older than 48 or 72 hours prior to arrival in-country. Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative COVID-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return embarkation arrangements.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 9:20 AM, pinotlover said:

I disagree. If Oceania assigned boarding times based on their anticipated handling rate, then the lines should progress smoothly. If however large numbers of passengers choose to ignore their assigned boarding time and show up hours early, thus creating the long lines, why should Oceania accommodate and/or facilitate those actions? I think a good long suntan is exactly what they need.  Did you award your children for irresponsible behavior?

If they had times assigned - people that arrive early shouldn’t be allowed to enter the check-in line until that time—period.

EVERYONE----I am on Riveria right now. The check in delays have nothing to do with PEOPLE ARRIVING EARLY!! The delays have to do with "Cueing theory" (Google it).  

Basically, it says that a line will only move as fast as its slowest element will allow. Here are the Covid check in elements we encountered (hope they change):

1. Someone checks your EUROFIN INFO--looks for barcode.  Lots of delays because "non IT people cannot find it".  Line starts to back up.

2.  Now go to a table and answer questions and get your "Bingo card" ( I call it that) with your 6 digit number.

3. Now wait in line for the actually testing. About 10-12 curtain areas.Again, delays.

4.  Now go and sit and wait in a crowded area and stare at 2 large screen TV's and wait for your "bingo" number to appear. This takes 10-20 minutes.

5.  Now, when your "bingo" number appears, go stand in another line and and get a wristband which allows you to enter the Oceania building.

6. You are now in the Oceania building and someone checks your passport.

7.  Now go thru security scanner.

8.  Now go to Oceania check in desk and get another picture taken (because that pic you took at home is not compatable with the new "face recoginition technology" on the ship). Pick up your room key card and get on ship.

As you can see, it is the delays in the cue, that forms the long lines. If you have mobility issues or cannot stand for a long time, you will not enjoy this.

There are approximately 4 hours to check in (11 am to 3 pm). So, Oceania has to process about 250+ people per hour----you do the logic!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In that 

1 hour ago, zteamtwo said:

EVERYONE----I am on Riveria right now. The check in delays have nothing to do with PEOPLE ARRIVING EARLY!! The delays have to do with "Cueing theory" (Google it).  

Basically, it says that a line will only move as fast as its slowest element will allow. Here are the Covid check in elements we encountered (hope they change):

1. Someone checks your EUROFIN INFO--looks for barcode.  Lots of delays because "non IT people cannot find it".  Line starts to back up.

2.  Now go to a table and answer questions and get your "Bingo card" ( I call it that) with your 6 digit number.

3. Now wait in line for the actually testing. About 10-12 curtain areas.Again, delays.

4.  Now go and sit and wait in a crowded area and stare at 2 large screen TV's and wait for your "bingo" number to appear. This takes 10-20 minutes.

5.  Now, when your "bingo" number appears, go stand in another line and and get a wristband which allows you to enter the Oceania building.

6. You are now in the Oceania building and someone checks your passport.

7.  Now go thru security scanner.

8.  Now go to Oceania check in desk and get another picture taken (because that pic you took at home is not compatable with the new "face recoginition technology" on the ship). Pick up your room key card and get on ship.

As you can see, it is the delays in the cue, that forms the long lines. If you have mobility issues or cannot stand for a long time, you will not enjoy this.

There are approximately 4 hours to check in (11 am to 3 pm). So, Oceania has to process about 250+ people per hour----you do the logic!!

In that you haven’t any statistical data on how many people did in fact show up early, you have no basis to claim the problem didn’t originate there and mushroom.

Actually people have been able to check in and board at 4-4:30 in the past. Should be able to today.

We have a portion of another thread about what’s going to happen to cruisers that are technologically challenged and can no longer complete certain tasks online. That future is bleak.