Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

8 hours ago, bennybear said:

I do absolutely nothing, sometimes it works fine and other times not.  This really needs to be addressed as it is a site issue not and individual one.  It’s getting very old.

I find the same thing. I never bother clearing cookies or logging out. (Nothing I have to post is earth-shattering, so I don't worry about it.) It makes navigation on my iPhone a bit more difficult, because the Forum Jump doesn't work, but I can browse relatively easily.) It will suddently go back to normal.

Holland America- January 9-16/22.

Unless the CDC stops all cruising, or, if our antigen test pre-flight surprises us with a +,  we plan to cruise. 
     Plan for the worst*, and hope for the best.

Good luck to everyone on their decision making of “to cruise or not to cruise”.  We had many conversations before our decision. 

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year!
Deb

* take 2 weeks extra meds, have proper insurance, had 2 vaccines plus the booster, and not socializing in person much because omicron is spreading crazy fast. 

• Like 3

Got an email from AC saying they modified our flights to get out to the ship. The option they offered had us arrive in Toronto 30 minutes after the flight to Vancouver left.....we had planned to fly business class (on points) as part of our social distancing strategy but now have no viable flights to do that in one day....and in order to get there, looks like we have to pass through 5 airports, YYG, YUL, YYZ, YVR, SAN.....quite the milk run.....we are booked on Viking for Feb 6th....will give it a couple of weeks to see what Viking / industry / government / Covid / airlines / personal health / morale / risk factors feel like then....we both have nagging colds and coughs, so we probably wouldn't be allowed down a jetway even with negative tests....can you imagine the looks we'd get if we had a coughing fit....lol.....ya....we will be cancelling our cruise......🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2021 at 2:42 PM, waiting2retire said:

It wasn’t until after I cancelled my January 9 cruise last week that I realized I have “mask rage”. It’s kinda like road rage and comes on when I see or hear of people not wearing masks properly, or at all, in situations where it is mandated to do so. 

i am seeing reports of passengers flagrantly disregarding the mask rules on cruise ships, and worse, becoming belligerent when asked to do so. It truly offends my “Canadian-ness” to see people act this way and it would negatively impact the enjoyment of my cruise experience. 

It’s no fun to spend time on my vacation wanting to yell at people!  So until people agree to abide by the rules, or the ships figure out how to enforce them better, I think my blood pressure is safer at home!

to those of you who are more laid-back, I salute you and wish you a happy cruise 🚢 

Reading your post, then went on to read posts on the Princess board. It is having me come around to your thinking. People not wearing masks proper or not wearing masks at all. Skipping hand sanitation stations at the buffet. Then the elevator where they just crowd on regardless of how many people on.

We have to make our decision in 12 days. Do I want to spend my money being hidden in my cabin or being T'D off with those that the rules do not apply. We really really want to go but.

• Like 5

Good afternoon from the Carnival Mardi Gras.

My answer might change tomorrow if I test positive.

This trip has been amazing.

The most stressful part was me being stupid flying in the day of.

Thats not covid related. That could happen any time.

Our flight was delayed 3 hours plus waiting for luggage.

815am when our flight was supposed to leave until 305pm when we arrived at the port terminal were insanely stressful.

The while wearing masks,c crowded areas, people not wearing masks etc.  I deal with that at home.

Just saying travel is always stressful and having  a plan b to z is good.

• Like 4

I read on a Facebook page that a Canadian family was told their not fully vaccinated child would have to be covid tested today when they disembark, and if positive, the whole group would be sent to a government hotel for 14 days in the US... apparently they were told this on the ship.

Any insight to this?  We're they told wrong?  Did they misunderstand?  Is it possible bc the child is not fully vaccinated?  Could it be done to anyone that tests positive?

I couldn't find anything online about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Glad to hear you're having a great trip!  Fingers crossed that your test will be negative. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

The most stressful part was me being stupid flying in the day of.

Thats not covid related. That could happen any time.

Our flight was delayed 3 hours plus waiting for luggage.

815am when our flight was supposed to leave until 305pm when we arrived at the port terminal were insanely stressful.

The while wearing masks,c crowded areas, people not wearing masks etc.  I deal with that at home.

Just saying travel is always stressful and having  a plan b to z is good.

Glad to hear you made it.  I remember our conversation.  Lol

1 hour ago, Halo19 said:

I read on a Facebook page that a Canadian family was told their not fully vaccinated child would have to be covid tested today when they disembark, and if positive, the whole group would be sent to a government hotel for 14 days in the US... apparently they were told this on the ship.

Any insight to this?  We're they told wrong?  Did they misunderstand?  Is it possible bc the child is not fully vaccinated?  Could it be done to anyone that tests positive?

Facebook is not a reliable source of information.  Somewhere on this board is an account of a family whose child tested positive and they were taken to a hotel.  The hotel told them they were free to check out so they did.  Perhaps it is a derivative of that story.

22 minutes ago, trixiee said:

My cruise is cancelled. Received a positive PCR test result.  I should be boarding the pane atthis very moment, instead I'm hacking and sniffling.

My real worry is did I unintentionally infect others?

I am very sorry to hear that.  With Omicron it seems more and more people are testing positive.  Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Edited by *Miss G*

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Glad to hear you made it.  I remember our conversation.  Lol

Facebook is not a reliable source of information.  Somewhere on this board is an account of a family whose child tested positive and they were taken to a hotel.  The hotel told them they were free to check out so they did.  Perhaps it is a derivative of that story.

I am very sorry to hear that.  With Omicron it seems more and more people are testing positive.  Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Facebook isn't reliable, but it was a first had account from a mother currently on a carnival ship and the cruise ends tomorrow.

She just updated saying the child did test positive.  Will be interesting to see what she says happens tomorrow.

Edited by Halo19
  • Thanks 1

Cancelling our Grandeur cruise in February because it was taking 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back.  Using 4 days of vacation just for travelling is not a very efficient use of vacation time.  Plus with flights costing over $2,000 and hotels on top of that, made it cost prohibitive. 

AC changed our flight to Vancouver to one a day earlier also made our Alaska cruise seem not worth it.  We even considered doing north bound and south bound but flight scheduling was not convenient.  So Alaska has been cancelled.

Booked for April on the Adventure, maybe squeeze a weekend to get home depending on what the restrictions GOC has in place at that time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Halo19 said:

I'd be surprised if the government was footing the bill. Much more likely the cruise line.

3 hours ago, trixiee said:

My cruise is cancelled. Received a positive PCR test result.  I should be boarding the pane atthis very moment, instead I'm hacking and sniffling.

My real worry is did I unintentionally infect others?

My sympathies. Hopefully your symptoms don't get any worse.

There is not much you can do about previous contacts other than notifications. Going forward you can use the GOC COVID Alert app on your phone if you have to go out.

I'll be cancelling our Celebrity Apex Feb cruise this week and am looking at rebooking and using our FCC in November.  But just for curiosity I'm following a number of live reports on Celebrity boards and seems like a lot of ports are beginning to deny ships from stopping due to number of covid cases on board.  I think the next two weeks will be havoc for ships' itineraries and we will see the numbers of on-board cases see a significant uptick.   Stay Safe everyone!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Halo19 said:

Facebook isn't reliable, but it was a first had account from a mother currently on a carnival ship and the cruise ends tomorrow.

She just updated saying the child did test positive.  Will be interesting to see what she says happens tomorrow.

She's on my cruise.

Been chatting with her on Facebook.

She's part of the same Facebook cruise roll call as me.

She and I posted about the number of positive cases and our posts were deleted.

I guess Americans don't want to know. 

I was told if you test positive on the ship you are sent to a 14 day hotel. This was from someone from the Carnival section and I got  little snippy when he found out I'd be driving home and omg infecting others at hotels etc.

I tried to explain that many ppl walk around with covid.

I'm testing at the airport and will update when I can.

She was told the 14 day hotel thing straight from Carnival.

I will update if I hear new info from her.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 11:42 AM, doberwoman said:

I hope you’re feeling better! I just tested positive after receiving my third shot 10 days ago. I’ve had a scratchy throat, slight headache and a really deep blues voice lol. Already improving and I’m sure I would’ve felt much worse without the vaccines. We’re scheduled to sail Jan 23 on the Edge and pretty sure we’re going to cancel. I’m concerned about flight cancellations. We used WestJet travel bank credits to book our flights which were set to expire in March 2022. Does anyone know if they reset from the day I cancel this time or back to the original expiry date? 

I'm sorry to hear! That's similar timing to me and my partner, in terms of getting covid about 10 days after our booster. 

One of the many big decision factors for us was that our positive PCR test needed to be 14 days old to get us back into Canada, and the day we got off our cruise would have been only Day 11. In that case, if we did a new PCR it would likely still be positive, so we'd have no way to fly back home to Toronto. 

This is our second cancelled cruise due to Covid, and so while we can't wait to cruise again, we're going to wait until things are almost normal again. 

Wishing you a quick recovery. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, broberts said:

I'd be surprised if the government was footing the bill. Much more likely the cruise line.

My sympathies. Hopefully your symptoms don't get any worse.

There is not much you can do about previous contacts other than notifications. Going forward you can use the GOC COVID Alert app on your phone if you have to go out.

In regards to the cost. The cruise said she'd have to pay out of pocket. 

She has made plans to isolate at her sisters in Florida and fly home after 14 days.

It wasn't until she was on the ship and booked the test that Carnival told her the procedures if you test positive on the ship.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

In regards to the cost. The cruise said she'd have to pay out of pocket. 

She has made plans to isolate at her sisters in Florida and fly home after 14 days.

It wasn't until she was on the ship and booked the test that Carnival told her the procedures if you test positive on the ship.

I really hope there was some sort of misunderstanding.    Could definitely change my plans if this infact what is going to be happening to Canadians at the end of their cruises.    We thought switching from flying to driving would be enough to get us home. Maybe not!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Halo19 said:

I really hope there was some sort of misunderstanding.    Could definitely change my plans if this infact what is going to be happening to Canadians at the end of their cruises.    We thought switching from flying to driving would be enough to get us home. Maybe not!

First of all I don't think they can 'force' anyone to do this?  If she wants to isolate at her sister's place or wherever how can they stop her?

I also heard of a famiily (RCCL) where the son was positive - once back to Florida they were taken to a hotel by RCCL (private transport) and told to call the Care Team and/or await further instructions - after a day of no contact - they decided to rent a car and drive back (not sure about further testing - somewhere along the way I believe?)....  No one said anything or did anything to them - assume you are not being held prisoners???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it looks like we’ll be cancelling our 27 March Silhouette cruise.  DW’s sister and hubby (in their 70’s) were coming with us and they do not feel comfortable at all cruising now.  They have only been on one cruise before with another couple and only got off the ship in each port to wander around the port area for an hour or so so they they really never got to experience the whole “cruise experience”.  They were looking forward to coming with us ‘veteran cruisers’ as we’ve been on 4 or 5 cruises before Lol!

I have to admit that unlike many  (most?) members of CC we are not diehard cruisers.  We still prefer land vacations.  So cancelling our cruise will not cause us a great deal of anguish!  My only concern is our down payment (final payment is not until Jan 27). As I read the Celebrity site we will get a FCC for this amount but we’ll have to book another cruise by the end of May.  And this re-booked cruise (for us) must sail by 27 March 2023. At present we don’t see any Celebrity cruises that really appeal to us so we may end up losing our FCC at the end of the day.

Another concern is flying to FLL.  Canadian airlines are continuing to re-schedule and cancel flights all the time that is causing a great deal of difficulty for many Canadian travellers flying both domestically and internationally.  With COVID affecting more and more of their employees, things are likely to get worse before they get better.  And although our flight to FLL is not until late March, goodness knows what the airline schedules will be like then.  So even if we did not cancel our cruise I would not yet book any flights.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thon said:

Well it looks like we’ll be cancelling our 27 March Silhouette cruise.  DW’s sister and hubby (in their 70’s) were coming with us and they do not feel comfortable at all cruising now.  They have only been on one cruise before with another couple and only got off the ship in each port to wander around the port area for an hour or so so they they really never got to experience the whole “cruise experience”.  They were looking forward to coming with us ‘veteran cruisers’ as we’ve been on 4 or 5 cruises before Lol!

I have to admit that unlike many  (most?) members of CC we are not diehard cruisers.  We still prefer land vacations.  So cancelling our cruise will not cause us a great deal of anguish!  My only concern is our down payment (final payment is not until Jan 27). As I read the Celebrity site we will get a FCC for this amount but we’ll have to book another cruise by the end of May.  And this re-booked cruise (for us) must sail by 27 March 2023. At present we don’t see any Celebrity cruises that really appeal to us so we may end up losing our FCC at the end of the day.

Another concern is flying to FLL.  Canadian airlines are continuing to re-schedule and cancel flights all the time that is causing a great deal of difficulty for many Canadian travellers flying both domestically and internationally.  With COVID affecting more and more of their employees, things are likely to get worse before they get better.  And although our flight to FLL is not until late March, goodness knows what the airline schedules will be like then.  So even if we did not cancel our cruise I would not yet book any flights.

Do you know for sure  you have book by May 2022 with Celebrity? 

39 minutes ago, thon said:

If you haven't made final payment you should receive your deposit to your credit card...unless it's non refundable...then I think it's FCC.

• Like 3