New MDR Menus?

MarkWiltonM

We had dinner at the Lido tonight for the first time on our Rotterdam cruise. I saw a berry fruit crisp near the bread pudding, and it reminded me that there used to be a fruit crisp on the MDR menu every night, and they are no longer offered, not even once (nor is crème brûlée). Oddly, the woman serving them told me that she had them every night. So what's the excuse for that change? Saving money? Shortage of ramekins to serve them in? The kitchen is still making them, and presumably people loved them since they had them on the menu every night. I really enjoyed it tonight, especially after adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 10:24 PM, MisterBill99 said:

I asked one server and was told that the only choices were what's on the menu. Have not asked the hostess when we checked in

3 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

We had dinner at the Lido tonight for the first time on our Rotterdam cruise. I saw a berry fruit crisp near the bread pudding, and it reminded me that there used to be a fruit crisp on the MDR menu every night, and they are no longer offered, not even once (nor is crème brûlée). Oddly, the woman serving them told me that she had them every night. So what's the excuse for that change? Saving money? Shortage of ramekins to serve them in? The kitchen is still making them, and presumably people loved them since they had them on the menu every night. I really enjoyed it tonight, especially after adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Did you request the vegetarian menu yet?

Regarding the fruit crisp desserts - we just got off the Eurodam for 11 nights, and although they were not on the MDR menu, they were available every night. I told our waiter on the first night that I was disappointed they were no longer on the menu, and he said one is still available every night, and I had one almost every night. The best was mango/berry, they also had rhubarb, banana, apple and a couple others; with some vanilla ice cream they are delicious.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CafeBruno said:

Regarding the fruit crisp desserts - we just got off the Eurodam for 11 nights, and although they were not on the MDR menu, they were available every night. I told our waiter on the first night that I was disappointed they were no longer on the menu, and he said one is still available every night, and I had one almost every night. The best was mango/berry, they also had rhubarb, banana, apple and a couple others; with some vanilla ice cream they are delicious.  

Good to know.  I always enjoyed them but completely forgot about them.  Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I picked up the Vegetarian menu and it has not changed since 2016 (I compared, ine by line with what I have posted.  Vegetarian Menu 12/07/21.

Sorry, I had intended that question for Mr Bill because he’d said there were limited vegetarian options.  Thanks for all the info you are providing!

I’ve been cruising HAL since around 2011.  Just off Eurodam last Sunday.  I hate to say, but I think the MDR food has gone downhill.  It’s certainly not awful, or even close, but in my view it used to be markedly better.  Not so for speciality venues….they all were as good as ever.

6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Sorry, I had intended that question for Mr Bill because he’d said there were limited vegetarian options.  Thanks for all the info you are providing!

I just went to the MDR on Rotterdam, and asked to see the vegetarian and Indian menus. I was told that they were discontinued. I was also told that there are three vegetarian options on the menu each night. 

Edited by MisterBill99

15 hours ago, CafeBruno said:

So they have them but choose not to tell passengers that they are available? That is ridiculous. At least with the long gone cold fruit soups, you need to order in advance, and it isn't available immediately just for asking. What is the excuse for having them available, but only if you know to ask? To save money?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

So they have them but choose not to tell passengers that they are available? That is ridiculous. At least with the long gone cold fruit soups, you need to order in advance, and it isn't available immediately just for asking. What is the excuse for having them available, but only if you know to ask? To save money?

I missed the memo on the chilled soups! So you can order them in advance? Is there a charge? Thanks!

Agree with everyone who has wondered why they don’t tell people what the Always Available selections are…how are new guests supposed to know if they’re not informed?

• Like 1

I downloaded the dinner menu for tonight on the Navigator app (I am not on a ship) and it seemed to be missing some things. It was missing the "exc.port to table" specials, the "Indulge" section with added cost items. There's no beef or pork dish, either, and it's just one page instead of two. Must be a mistake?

MDR Dinner Friday 12-10-21.pdf

On 12/9/2021 at 4:33 PM, MisterBill99 said:

So they have them but choose not to tell passengers that they are available? That is ridiculous

Agree!  What is their point in not doing so?  If the dessert is made and available, if those desserts are not served, they will be going into the garbage.  More fuzzy thinking by "somebody, somewhere" that leads to a deterioration of the HAL cruise experience.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I downloaded the dinner menu for tonight on the Navigator app (I am not on a ship) and it seemed to be missing some things. It was missing the "exc.port to table" specials, the "Indulge" section with added cost items. There's no beef or pork dish, either, and it's just one page instead of two. Must be a mistake?

MDR Dinner Friday 12-10-21.pdf 452.97 kB · 13 downloads

Navigator app menus when not onboard come from Seattle not from the ship and should only be used as an example.  Here is my Friday Night menu from the Nieuw Statendam. 

Friday Night 12-10-21 Caribbean Menu

If you are interested in the Caribbena 7-Day cruise menus, here is the link:  7-Day Caribbean Menus

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2021 at 11:09 AM, MarkWiltonM said:

MDR Dinner Friday 12-10-21.pdf 452.97 kB · 19 download

That was Gala Night, and it is exactly as was presented on the ship. They do not have EXC, every night or indulge items on those menus.

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Agree!  What is their point in not doing so?  If the dessert is made and available, if those desserts are not served, they will be going into the garbage.  More fuzzy thinking by "somebody, somewhere" that leads to a deterioration of the HAL cruise experience.  

BTW, I did manage to get the banana crisp in the MDR last night. Will be asking for the crisp tonight as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight's crisp was blackberry and mango and was excellent. Amusingly, tonight's server (who was not as good as last night's) had to ask what it was, and came back and said that they had both, and we had to choose one. Turns out it was both mixed together. Sadly, said waiter did not deliver it right away and/or did not bring the ice cream from the kitchen separately, so it was partially melted by the time it got to the table.

I really do wish that I'd known about this sooner, since tonight was the final night of the cruise. We need to spread the word. 

20211211_201454.jpg

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and in other news from tonight's MDR, they listed Arancini Bolognese (rice balls) with the vegetarian symbol. Given that Bolognese sauce by definition has meat in it, we asked how it was vegetarian. The waiter said that the there was only a small amount of meat sauce. Seems like there should have been some indication that it was only vegetarian with a non-meat sauce substituted, but the menu doesn't have info like that, just an all or nothing symbol.

Then, I asked what fish were in the Caribbean Fish Soup. He checked and told me white fish and salmon, so I ordered it. When the bowl arrived, there were shrimp in the bottom waiting to have the soup poured over it. I sent it away since I do not eat shellfish and did not trust them not to have put some shrimp in the soup as well.

Edited by MisterBill99

On 12/11/2021 at 10:16 PM, MisterBill99 said:

Amusingly, tonight's server (who was not as good as last night's) had to ask what it was, and came back and said that they had both, and we had to choose one. Turns out it was both mixed together. Sadly, said waiter did not deliver it right away and/or did not bring the ice cream from the kitchen separately, so it was partially melted by the time it got to the table.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:31 PM, MisterBill99 said:

Oh, and in other news from tonight's MDR, they listed Arancini Bolognese (rice balls) with the vegetarian symbol. Given that Bolognese sauce by definition has meat in it, we asked how it was vegetarian. The waiter said that the there was only a small amount of meat sauce. Seems like there should have been some indication that it was only vegetarian with a non-meat sauce substituted, but the menu doesn't have info like that, just an all or nothing symbol.

Then, I asked what fish were in the Caribbean Fish Soup. He checked and told me white fish and salmon, so I ordered it. When the bowl arrived, there were shrimp in the bottom waiting to have the soup poured over it. I sent it away since I do not eat shellfish and did not trust them not to have put some shrimp in the soup as well.

Based on your experience, this Steward needs a good bit more training before he is ready for the MDR.  

Re:  the Menu's description of the "vegetarian" dish.  This may be due to a misunderstanding of the English language by whomever wrote the menu.  I have experienced similar situations in the past.  

On 12/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, Sharon in AZ said:

In addition to the Navigator app @Crew Newsdoes great collecting menus for halfacts dot com.  He is onboard right now and has a live from thread and will answer any menu questions you might have. 

On 12/6/2021 at 12:20 PM, Crew News said:

Just for clarification, the website mentioned above may have links to my website, www.rogerjett-photography,com, but I have never provided any menus, photos, or information to the subject website.

halfacts does not contain any links to the Crew News site. Hal Facts only uses information submitted to that site and as he mentioned, Crew News does not provide any information to Hal Facts

• Like 1