For those hesitant to sail...

I just returned from a lovely B2B sailing on Harmony. We have been on the cautious side of things throughout the pandemic and considered many times to cancel our vacation once again. We ended up going and had the most fantastic time. Honestly we felt safer onboard than we do going to the grocery store. The staff were wonderful. We really appreciated the reduced capacity in the shows (although the spacing seemed a little extreme in the Aqua theater) and I hope they continue serving food in the windjammer. I wear a mask at work all day so it was no big deal, much better wearing it on a cruise ship than at work anyway! We saw very few noncompliant guests and I noticed 100% of staff wearing their masks properly.

So if you have been hesitant, there really is no reason to be! Get your booster, washy washy, and have a great vacation! Happy to answer any specific questions 🙂

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

50 minutes ago, FishLips23 said:

I just returned from a lovely B2B sailing on Harmony. We have been on the cautious side of things throughout the pandemic and considered many times to cancel our vacation once again. We ended up going and had the most fantastic time. Honestly we felt safer onboard than we do going to the grocery store. The staff were wonderful. We really appreciated the reduced capacity in the shows (although the spacing seemed a little extreme in the Aqua theater) and I hope they continue serving food in the windjammer. I wear a mask at work all day so it was no big deal, much better wearing it on a cruise ship than at work anyway! We saw very few noncompliant guests and I noticed 100% of staff wearing their masks properly.

So if you have been hesitant, there really is no reason to be! Get your booster, washy washy, and have a great vacation! Happy to answer any specific questions 🙂

I'm glad you had a great time and if I lived in Florida like you it would be a no brainer, but for me there is more to consider than just hopping in my car and driving to the ship.

Wish it was that simple, but it's not for us.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mek said:

I'm glad you had a great time and if I lived in Florida like you it would be a no brainer, but for me there is more to consider than just hopping in my car and driving to the ship.

That would definitely change things for us too! Hope you’re sailing soon!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mek said:

Do you ever sail out of Baltimore (or consider doing so)?  That's our solution when we don't want to fly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Do you ever sail out of Baltimore (or consider doing so)?  That's our solution when we don't want to fly.

My husband is disabled and can't be in a car anymore for long distances.  Our only option is to fly.

2 hours ago, FishLips23 said:

Thank you! As we get closer and closer to our first sailing, it helps to read your words of encouragement from someone like minded!

• Like 4

I’ve had to fly a couple of times since COVID happened and got one of those swanky Sharper Image negative ion fans to wear around our necks. They’re about $80 each, but supposedly keeps a 3’ radius of purified air around the wearer. We’re flying from NH to Orlando for our January cruise on the Indy. That while masked (and boostered) should keep my anxiety at bay enough until we board the ship!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Betsynh said:

I’ve had to fly a couple of times since COVID happened and got one of those swanky Sharper Image negative ion fans to wear around our necks. They’re about $80 each, but supposedly keeps a 3’ radius of purified air around the wearer. We’re flying from NH to Orlando for our January cruise on the Indy. That while masked (and boostered) should keep my anxiety at bay enough until we board the ship!

Omg- thanks so much for posting this!  We were really worried about flying, and upcoming family events… this is a life changer.  Also…. They are now on sale

for $39!!

• Like 1

Oh no, please dont encourage more folks to get on the ships. So many people have enjoyed lower passenger numbers and a break from crowds in some areas, lol. Just teasing. (But, I'm sure some folks here are seriously thinking that, hahahaha). Glad you had a great time. Wish I would have sailed in September and October when even fewer people were sailing 😁  I do enjoy a little more space these days 🌞.  I know that's coming to an end soon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, mek said:

My husband is disabled and can't be in a car anymore for long distances.  Our only option is to fly.

Does your husband have a hard time getting out of his seat on the plane? Am thinking my DH might struggle with this.

8 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Does your husband have a hard time getting out of his seat on the plane? Am thinking my DH might struggle with this.

The last time he was on a plane was in Feb, 2020 - almost two years ago.  Since then his condition has not improved, but as long as he has an aisle seat I think he will be fine. The attendants are very helpful and know how to assist the disabled.

For the same reason as being in a car for a long time, I don't think we will do any long flights over a few hours anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: Just my feelings.

I just returned from a 4 day on Indy. I have to say I didn’t feel comfortable some of the time. The MDR had no social distancing and the show capacity didn’t allow for it much either. I’m glad for the new mask policy that was announced today .I did still mask except when eating even in vaccinated areas. 

On deck and CoCoCay I was very comfortable. 

I could have been comfortable the whole time had I cruised solo. I would’ve gone up to the unvaccinated balcony in the shows. There was almost no one there. I would’ve switched to the unvaccinated MDR as well. They had lots of space. But alas I had to coordinate with my partner. Whether this makes sense scientifically IDK 

Awesome report! We have a B2B scheduled for the Harmony in June! It's been way too long and way too many cancelled cruises for us. Not worried about anything and we have no problem being vaxxed, boosted, and masking when necessary (I have to do it at work all the time as well since I'm a federal contractor). Just want to enjoy time onboard again!

54 minutes ago, Babr said:

Thank you for making that point. So many keep bringing up the safety factor as if everyone else is cowering at home. In reality, some will not cruise now because other health issues put them at risk, but most people are holding back simply because they don’t want to spend a lot of money for a diminished experience.

I have to wear a mask at work. Cruising with a mask isn’t even a minor inconvenience. I was happy to finally be on vacation after nearly 2 years. I shared this post to encourage other likeminded individuals that may be on the fence about cruising during these strange times. Please remain off the ships as long as these protocols are in place. Would hate for you to have a diminished experience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FishLips23 said:

I have to wear a mask at work. Cruising with a mask isn’t even a minor inconvenience. I was happy to finally be on vacation after nearly 2 years. I shared this post to encourage other likeminded individuals that may be on the fence about cruising during these strange times. Please remain off the ships as long as these protocols are in place. Would hate for you to have a diminished experience!

Thank you for providing reassurance for those who may be seeking it. For me it is more than just masking, which we continue to do when out and about. Coldflame laid out the issues very well in his/her post.

I’m truly glad you enjoyed your cruise. I just don’t think I would under the current conditions, so I choose not to.

• Like 1