Covid testing

dendale1

I am sailing on Independence of the seas 17th Dec and wondering what everyone is doing for covid testing.  I booked the at home test through RCL and it came today and it had expired.  I called the company and they refunded me so now I'm wondering where I should get the test

So, I am getting my test tomorrow at Walgreens, the ID Now, test results in 24 hours, we are sailing Saturday.  It is free, you drive up to the window they hand you a swab you run it around your nose 5 times, stick it in the packet, and hand it back thru the window.  Results usually within the hour.  At least this was our experience before we went to COTA for the F1 race a bit over a month ago, if that fails, I will be scrambling tomorrow in Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dendale1 said:

I am sailing on Independence of the seas 17th Dec and wondering what everyone is doing for covid testing.  I booked the at home test through RCL and it came today and it had expired.  I called the company and they refunded me so now I'm wondering where I should get the test

I thought they had extended the expiration dates.  Check again. 

• Like 1

Here is a second vote for Walgreens. The tests  are free, no insurance required, and quick. We had 6:30PM appointments for the drive through yesterday and had our results by 7:15PM. We cruise out of Tampa tomorrow. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

On a related note- does anyone know if RCI accepts the results of this test from Walgreens?  We are 2, vaccinated adults.

798F59ED-4FA1-47A9-8430-1B29DE7294BB.jpeg

These are NOT accepted because they don’t include the online live proctor session.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dendale1 said:

You add three months to the expiration date and that is the new date.  If you just received the kits they should NOT be expired with the new extension.

we just got ours…..the original expiration date is 11/12/21 and with the three month extension they are good until 2/12/22.

There is a note included in your shipment that explains this…

Edited by GTO-Girl

54 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

You add three months to the expiration date and that is the new date.  If you just received the kits they should NOT be expired with the new extension.

we just got ours…..the original expiration date is 11/12/21 and with the three month extension they are good until 2/12/22.

There is a note included in your shipment that explains this…

Are the expired tests reliable? 

1 hour ago, qdog123 said:

Here is a second vote for Walgreens. The tests  are free, no insurance required, and quick. We had 6:30PM appointments for the drive through yesterday and had our results by 7:15PM. We cruise out of Tampa tomorrow. 

While they may be readily available where you live....the attached pics show what's availalbe to me in So California where I live. The  closest one is in Fountain Valley.....a 76 mile drive.....and they don't have any appointments. Why neither CVS or Walgreen offer free tests in So Cal is a mystery to me. 

Walgreens ID Now.JPG

4 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

While they may be readily available where you live....the attached pics show what's availalbe to me in So California where I live. The  closest one is in Fountain Valley.....a 76 mile drive.....and they don't have any appointments. Why neither CVS or Walgreen offer free tests in So Cal is a mystery to me. 

Walgreens ID Now.JPG

Yes, I had to go with the ID now test. That stinks that availability is limited where you are. 

Does anyone know if the at-home kits are still valid on the day of expiration? In my case, I am on 12/23 Mariner, so must be tested no earlier than 12/21.  I have one of the tests I purchased using the Royal Caribbean link, originally expired 9/21/21, but with three month extension expires 12/21/21.  Will I be able to use the test on 12/21/21?

12 hours ago, Seb of the Seas said:

Does anyone know if the at-home kits are still valid on the day of expiration? In my case, I am on 12/23 Mariner, so must be tested no earlier than 12/21.  I have one of the tests I purchased using the Royal Caribbean link, originally expired 9/21/21, but with three month extension expires 12/21/21.  Will I be able to use the test on 12/21/21?

That’s a good question.  I would call the company I ordered from and ask that.

13 hours ago, Seb of the Seas said:

The extension is about 3 months, but you should look up your batch number to get the specific date for your test kits.  Here is a link to a chart with new dates.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/binaxnow-home-tests.pdf

On 12/9/2021 at 6:29 AM, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Search/browse the threads here - this question comes up just about every day.

I know this is true.

However, since my  cruise is in January I've been skipping over them because I figured things would change by then anyway.

But now it's getting closer....

I was in CVS today and the clinic area had a sign saying they were closed today.....sorry for any inconvenience.  I remember reading that people all over the country have had problems with CVS cancelling last minute.  I asked at the pharmacy if she knew if the clinic gave Antigen tests (I thought that's what I'm supposed to ask for) and she said she "thought but wasn't sure" they gave PCR tests.  I told her I thought that was just for unvaccinated people and she said she didn't know.

There's also a Walgreens in my area.  Should I be looking for an Antigen test.  Does Walgreens give this.  Or something else. ????? 

Sorry.....I know I should have been paying more attention but I had hoped against hope that the vaccine card and booster would be enought.

What should I ask for?  

54 minutes ago, mafig said:

I know this is true.

However, since my  cruise is in January I've been skipping over them because I figured things would change by then anyway.

But now it's getting closer....

I was in CVS today and the clinic area had a sign saying they were closed today.....sorry for any inconvenience.  I remember reading that people all over the country have had problems with CVS cancelling last minute.  I asked at the pharmacy if she knew if the clinic gave Antigen tests (I thought that's what I'm supposed to ask for) and she said she "thought but wasn't sure" they gave PCR tests.  I told her I thought that was just for unvaccinated people and she said she didn't know.

There's also a Walgreens in my area.  Should I be looking for an Antigen test.  Does Walgreens give this.  Or something else. ????? 

Sorry.....I know I should have been paying more attention but I had hoped against hope that the vaccine card and booster would be enought.

What should I ask for?  

Can’t speak to Walgreens because I haven’t used them, but I have used CVS multiple times. When you go onto their website to make an appointment for the test (they usually book out 2 weeks in advance) you can choose if you want PCR or Rapid.  Usually PCR takes anywhere from 24-48 hours to get results and that’s not guaranteed. So, not the best choice for cruising. The rapid tests are usually back within an hour. Where we live, the PCR testing is everywhere, but we have to drive much further for the rapid testing. I have also ordered and used the tests from Royal. They are super easy to use and the whole process takes about twenty minutes. Hopes some of this helps. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RosieRoo said:

Can’t speak to Walgreens because I haven’t used them, but I have used CVS multiple times. When you go onto their website to make an appointment for the test (they usually book out 2 weeks in advance) you can choose if you want PCR or Rapid.  Usually PCR takes anywhere from 24-48 hours to get results and that’s not guaranteed. So, not the best choice for cruising. The rapid tests are usually back within an hour. Where we live, the PCR testing is everywhere, but we have to drive much further for the rapid testing. I have also ordered and used the tests from Royal. They are super easy to use and the whole process takes about twenty minutes. Hopes some of this helps. 

Cvs near us in Nashville isn't doing testing. 

1 hour ago, mafig said:

.I know I should have been paying more attention but I had hoped against hope that the vaccine card and booster would be enough.

Don't just look for the obvious places for testing. Do a map search for testing sites around you. Consider the at home test - sometimes they are given away by local faculties, like a library.

• Thanks 1