Canaveral Parking at Terminal 1 For the Harmony

GTO-Girl

33 minutes ago, BND said:

We mentioned we were on a b2b (Nov 28 and Dec 5) and the attendant used a handheld to have us pay for the second week (as I said above we parked in the lot next to the terminal as the garage was full).  They also told us (and showed us) that if a car doesn't display a receipt for both weeks, it can be booted.  There were a couple of booted cars in the lot.  So, we had both receipts on our dash.  

In all the times that we have parked at Terminal 1 we have never displayed our receipt.  Until you posted this I never knew that you are supposed to do that

58 minutes ago, BND said:

For the lot, there was an attendant working the arm/inserting the cc and one actually directing cars which spot to park in.  I know when we did a b2b on Oasis a few years ago, we parked in the garage and paid for the first 7 days to get in and there was no way to pay for a second week.  

I had the same thing on our 11/28 cruise.  A woman took my credit card, inserting it for payment at the machine, then giving me a receipt as we entered.  The young man then walked with me to direct me to the parking spot.  At that time the open lot had maybe 8 cars in it.  

When we went back out to get some extra clothes I left for "just in case" during turn around day, the lot was packed and there were cars parked in non-parking spots everywhere.  Did not see the grass lot, but I am guessing it was being used.  

52 minutes ago, molly361 said:

In all the times that we have parked at Terminal 1 we have never displayed our receipt.  Until you posted this I never knew that you are supposed to do that

I was told to display it....but with the overcrowded and packed lot, including their "creative" parking spots...I doubt they actually came around to check.  Three ships in and out, some more than once a week...place got busy.  

8 hours ago, island lady said:

Not just Harmony and Indy...but Mariner as well.  Very unusual to have three RCI ships home ported here, and we are thankful for it.  Last and only other time was many years ago with EX.  

I don't think the designers had three ships in mind...shame they did not think in advance. 😣

And from late 2022 through winter 2023, they are adding Jewel of the Seas.  And Wonder carries more passengers than the other Oasis class ships.    

I remember the tightness in the parking lot when we sailed on Explorer (with you).  I'm getting to the port early.  The top deck of the garage filled up but I can't remember if they had the paved and grassy lots for overflow.  

Edited by SherriZ366
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BND said:

For the lot, there was an attendant working the arm/inserting the cc and one actually directing cars which spot to park in.  I know when we did a b2b on Oasis a few years ago, we parked in the garage and paid for the first 7 days to get in and there was no way to pay for a second week.  

Having an attendant directing cruisers to parking spaces sounds good.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

And from late 2022 through winter 2023, they are adding Jewel of the Seas.  And Wonder carries more passengers than the other Oasis class ships.    

I remember the tightness in the parking lot when we sailed on Explorer (with you).  I'm getting to the port early.  The top deck of the garage filled up but I can't remember if they had the paved and grassy lots for overflow.  

Pat -- I think in 2014,  we were in Terminal 10 as RCI's newly built Terminal 1 hadn't opened.  So that was a different garage.  We got there early and parked but had to wait to get into the terminal as RCI had to hold disembarking passengers due to a launch.  

We sailed in early December, 2014 but friends who sailed later in the month and early in 2015 sailed from Terminal 1 with the new garage.  Explorer was only in Port C for a few months but Terminal 1 handled Freedom and  Majesty (or Enchantment) for short cruises.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

We're booked on a b2b on Jewel next Nov so we may park offsite unless they've figured out something.  What they really need is another garage.  While the terminal is huge, the garage wasn't built for more than a couple of ships.  We'll keep an eye on parking reports and make a decision then.

2 minutes ago, BND said:

We're booked on a b2b on Jewel next Nov so we may park offsite unless they've figured out something.  What they really need is another garage.  While the terminal is huge, the garage wasn't built for more than a couple of ships.  We'll keep an eye on parking reports and make a decision then.

I checked out offsite parking options today also.  We may sail on Jewel in February  for a southern itinerary, although right now we have a Wonder cruise for that month where they may have to downgrade us from a JS to an Ocean View with a bigger balcony.  RCI will have 4 ships in Port C from late 2022 through Winter 2023 -- Wonder, Mariner, Independence and Jewel.  And Wonder has a larger passenger capacity than the other Oasis Class ships.  Wonder was built for the Chinese market but is being deployed in the US until China reopens to cruising.  

I totally agree that they need another garage!!  I hope if they build one, they won't take the overflow parking areas away as an option during construction.  However, I watched Terminal 1 being built (there was a webcam) and the garage was built quickly.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Indeed a lot more pax.  Funny thing is Wonder does not have as many full suites as her younger sisters in the Oasis class...so I guess they are packing in the inside cabins like honey combs.  😮 

17 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Pat -- I think in 2014,  we were in Terminal 10 as RCI's newly built Terminal 1 hadn't opened.  So that was a different garage.  We got there early and parked but had to wait to get into the terminal as RCI had to hold disembarking passengers due to a launch.  

We sailed in early December, 2014 but friends who sailed later in the month and early in 2015 sailed from Terminal 1 with the new garage.  Explorer was only in Port C for a few months but Terminal 1 handled Freedom and  Majesty (or Enchantment) for short cruises.  

Yup, I answered you on that on previous page, post #68.  😉 

8 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed a lot more pax.  Funny thing is Wonder does not have as many full suites as her younger sisters in the Oasis class...so I guess they are packing in the inside cabins like honey combs.  😮 

And balconies have replaced GSs and OSs on Deck 11 (where we usually book)

• Like 1

Drove by Harmony today, nice to see her again...will be back on board this time next Sunday.  

Outside Aux parking lot next to the garage looked totally full, and saw pax parked in grassy area across the road.  Garage, from what we could see from the road... looked full as well.  This was at 9:30 am.  

Of course this was the Christmas cruise...and the New Years cruise is boarding now.  

Wonder what we will find on 1/2/22?  

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Drove by Harmony today, nice to see her again...will be back on board this time next Sunday.  

Outside Aux parking lot next to the garage looked totally full, and saw pax parked in grassy area across the road.  Garage, from what we could see from the road... looked full as well.  This was at 9:30 am.  

Of course this was the Christmas cruise...and the New Years cruise is boarding now.  

Was the grassy area totally fully too?

I wonder if at 9:30 am if spaces are opening up or if I should go over to the garage earlier?  

RCI has closed new booking for cruises departing through mid-January.  And anecdotally, cruisers are cancelled due to the new protocols.  Cruisers and TAs are posting this information.  So the cruises may sail with a lower passenger count.  

I'll be interested to hear from you about parking.  You disembark HM on the day that we board.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

I wonder if at 9:30 am if spaces are opening up or if I should go over to the garage earlier?  

RCI has closed new booking for cruises departing through mid-January.  And anecdotally, cruisers are cancelled due to the new protocols.  Cruisers and TAs are posting this information.  So the cruises may sail with a lower passenger count.  

I'll be interested to hear from you about parking.  You disembark HM on the day that we board.  

No, the grassy area was not full.  Huge field.  But what a PIA to drag your luggage into that field...guess you could drive out and collect...maybe?  

We are B2B starting this Sunday.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

When we boarded the Indy last week there were cars parked in the grass and the overflow lot looked full but there were lots of spaces on level 2. This was on a Friday for a weekend sailing.  It was around 11

• Like 1

19 hours ago, island lady said:

No, the grassy area was not full.  Huge field.  But what a PIA to drag your luggage into that field...guess you could drive out and collect...maybe?  

We are B2B starting this Sunday.  

I'd rather be in the garage.  I think if I tip well, that I could get a porter to help me.  

16 hours ago, molly361 said:

When we boarded the Indy last week there were cars parked in the grass and the overflow lot looked full but there were lots of spaces on level 2. This was on a Friday for a weekend sailing.  It was around 11

Good to know about Level 2.  Probably spaces opening up from returning cruisers.  I have handicapped plates but so do lots of people cruisiing from central Florida

11 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Good to know about Level 2.  Probably spaces opening up from returning cruisers.  I have handicapped plates but so do lots of people cruisiing from central Florida

When directed to the side lot (the paved one), there were only about 4-5 cars there.  I asked the attendants why I couldn't park in the garage....they told me it was full (this was at 10:30 am).  I asked if I could check since pax may still be leaving.  They told me "no...the ship is cleared".   They are really pushing pax out the door early now (last departure 8:45) to begin earlier cleaning. 

By 11 am...it is what it is.  Would not be any more cars leaving at that point.  

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 12:51 AM, island lady said:

No, the grassy area was not full.  Huge field.  But what a PIA to drag your luggage into that field...

1 hour ago, island lady said:

When directed to the side lot (the paved one), there were only about 4-5 cars there.  I asked the attendants why I couldn't park in the garage....they told me it was full (this was at 10:30 am).  I asked if I could check since pax may still be leaving.  They told me "no...the ship is cleared".   They are really pushing pax out the door early now (last departure 8:45) to begin earlier cleaning. 

By 11 am...it is what it is.  Would not be any more cars leaving at that point.  

Thanks for the bolded mentions, I've considered both, and for now I'm planning to park offsite . . . although . . .

1. The reviews I've read on the 3 closer parking sites leave a little to be desired -- long delays in return pickup, won't answer the phone, etc. Neither does google maps help my decision-making all that much, because some of the geo-snapshots are too old. For one parking site it shows a blank field under construction. (Is that lot really there??) And . . .

2. The pricing. After taxes and a "port entry fee"?? (ranging $6 to $7.50) are added in, I'd pay almost as much at any of those as I would at the port. Including "discounts" the quotes I got online were from $102-$108. Last time I parked for a PC cruise I paid about $75. BUT, with a noon check-in window, how far would we have to drag our bags??

I've never had a bit of angst over deciding where to park for any cruise, until now. We definitely need some improvements at Terminal 1 parking.

Posting all this wordage in hopes for feedback that will tip the scales for me. TIA.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 1:29 PM, island lady said:

Send her some blessings, flying kisses and healthy vibes when you pass bye.☺️

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Send her some blessings, flying kisses and healthy vibes when you pass bye.☺️

LOL!!  I did!  😉  

Just wanted to say hello to her before she left, and remind her that when she came back into port...she is to pick me up!  😄 

16 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

I'm still 4 months out (Harmony). . . . what are the possibilities of seeing more garage space constructed by then??

Yeah I know . . .

LOL...slim to none?  😄 

BTW...for those of you looking for off terminal outside parking...there is a brand new (and very large) cruise ship parking lot available.  It's on the north side of the barge canal on State Road 3 (AKA Courtenay parkway) on Merritt Island on the east (right) side of the road as you cross the draw bridge.  

When we went by last Sunday, it was barely full, called Port Canaveral Parking.  I think they have promos going on, but you can Google it.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...slim to none?  😄 

BTW...for those of you looking for off terminal outside parking...there is a brand new (and very large) cruise ship parking lot available.  It's on the north side of the barge canal on State Road 3 (AKA Courtenay parkway) on Merritt Island on the east (right) side of the road as you cross the draw bridge.  

When we went by last Sunday, it was barely full, called Port Canaveral Parking.  I think they have promos going on, but you can Google it.  

We saw that when we were there last month.  It's the lot we're thinking of using next year.  They have to figure something out at the port.  Another reason we love cruising out of Baltimore.  Two ships, two lots, one terminal and I've seen the lots mostly full but never completely full.  Each ship has it's own lot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...slim to none?  😄 

That's the one that shows as a vacant lot on google maps! 🙃 But I had in fact pulled that one up the other day, never priced it, but there are some photos. And they have a 4.9 rating (FWIW). Will definitely check that one out.

Sidebar, completely unrelated . . . All the comments about "seeing" Harmony etc, made me wonder exactly where the submarine basin is (or was?) in relation to the cruise terminals. Lo and behold, we pass it sailing out. Duh. I used to go fishing there occasionally and once led a pack of Cub Scounts on a tour of a Trident sub . . . so long ago I don't even want to say LOL . . . so anyway, when we cruise out in May I'll try to remember to give the east basin a little wave.

Added: Forgot to say thanks island girl, and that lot is definitely "close enough".

Edited by Moonarino
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BND said:

We saw that when we were there last month.  It's the lot we're thinking of using next year.  They have to figure something out at the port.  Another reason we love cruising out of Baltimore.  Two ships, two lots, one terminal and I've seen the lots mostly full but never completely full.  Each ship has it's own lot.

I actually like the parking at Tampa as well.  Though the "new" (and crappy small) terminal is further down, makes it almost impossible to use the garage (unless you are shuttled).  I love that open lot.  When we board, I can look right down on my little SUV.  When we leave...simple roll out to the lot and go.  🙂   And always lots of parking spaces...never crowded.