Early morning coffee on Allure

mein18

14 minutes ago, fox02554 said:

there in lies your problem , it's not brewed , it's syrup and hot water , at least in the MDR and Drink stations . stop to think of the shear amount of grounds that brewing that amount of coffee would produce. specialty coffee and Starbucks are you best bet for a " brew " or in suite coffee makers,

I have personally seen it brewed in various venues using coffee grounds on every ship we have sailed on.  As far as the MDR, I can only go by the one galley tour we experienced. 

On 12/15/2021 at 6:26 PM, renza said:

Omg. Really. Never in all my cruises have I actually heard the coffee is decent. I can call the diamond lounge coffee machine decent but that’s it. Or maybe if you buy it at promenade cafe. The coffee and tea is just nasty to me and everyone else I know. You are definitely the first one I heard say decent. 

I also like it....most places on the promenade usually have Starbucks branded coffee.  So what brand do you think is good?

2 hours ago, mein18 said:

I have personally seen it brewed in various venues using coffee grounds on every ship we have sailed on.  As far as the MDR, I can only go by the one galley tour we experienced. 

?? all I know is thats what I was told when I asked on Freedom of the seas about the difference in the taste between windjammer coffee and the cafe , one was syrup and the other brew

On 12/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, rockmom said:

Yes, the Starbucks on Allure is like Starbucks on land.  However you CANNOT use the coffee card there.   But I have found the specialty coffees from Cafe Promenade/Park Cafe on Royal's ships to be pretty good.  Keep in mind that the coffee card is a punch card, basically good for a small, single shot coffee drink.  They will punch more if you want a larger size/extra shot.  

@Cruiser1862, I'm not sure if you can use a Starbucks gift card there or not, but someone else here might know.  I think yes, but don't want to give you bad info.  

Yes you can, used them all the time.  I collect them from gifts all year then take them with us and use them on the ship at Starbucks

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 8:11 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

Seems , at least to me. that since  the return to sailing, the coffee is different.  It is not only drinkable but actually good!  I used to drink hot  tea as the coffee was so bad - but seriously, it is now delicious. My recent experience is on Mariner, Allure and Harmony. ALL GOOD!

M

It tasted better on liberty too though not always hot enough to drink.

Mostly I got specialty coffee from the cafe. The diamond coffee maker was broken all week so never tried it. 

On 12/16/2021 at 12:03 PM, loman said:

I put a shot of hot water from the tea service into the coffee as i find it strong, tastes burnt , and  bitter , much like the starbucks coffee . 

I dont use sugar so that has a bearing on the taste . Just a bit of cream and a shot of hot water makes it tolerable for me.

I get the use of the suite lounge next cruise so i will make use of their coffee machine .

As I recall, Royal Coffee is Seattle's Best.. owned by those overroasting folks at Starbucks.

Not sure about gift card, but app worked. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:46 AM, fox02554 said:

there in lies your problem , it's not brewed , it's syrup and hot water , at least in the MDR and Drink stations . stop to think of the shear amount of grounds that brewing that amount of coffee would produce. specialty coffee and Starbucks are you best bet for a " brew " or in suite coffee makers,

You must not have cruised since last century.  It's grounds not syrup and Brewed not just hot water.

Most Americans prefer weaker coffee than Euros and Asians who drink smaller cups.  So often times coffee made by Euros and Asians will taste stronger.  Just get an Americano at a specialty kiosk.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:46 AM, fox02554 said:

Your saying the coffee is made from syrup and water? Is that a guess or you know this to be a fact?   I have never heard this before.  What would account for the the burnt taste or variation if it is syrup based?  Seems it would be extremely consistent if it was syrup.  

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It tasted better on liberty too though not always hot enough to drink.

Mostly I got specialty coffee from the cafe. The diamond coffee maker was broken all week so never tried it. 

Did you have to use your vouchers or pay at the Cafe since the DL machine was broken?

45 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I used my vouchers. A b2b guy said it was broken the week before too

I have been on a ship when the machine was broken and we could get coffee at the Cafe just by showing our seapass to prove our level. Another time they loaded a special coffee coupon onto the seapass each day and it could be used at Starbucks.

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have been on a ship when the machine was broken and we could get coffee at the Cafe just by showing our seapass to prove our level. Another time they loaded a special coffee coupon onto the seapass each day and it could be used at Starbucks.

Well mostly I was disappointed not to try the machine, as I dont remember using it before. I was told by someone in the diamond lounge ... they said they are looking into it ... with a eye roll at the looking into it now for at least 2 weeks he was on. 

I never used all my vouchers and my friend had a coffee card. So wasnt a issue for me as I hardly drink. I asked for a riesling wine up there during happy hour but they didnt have it. I could get it in the Mdr though. So at least they had a good wine, just not everywhere. 

Picked up a nail in my tire driving down or at the hotel. At the dealer getting it fixed. Things could be worse. Cruise pretty good overall but I dont understand why tv only on ports days and spotty wifi and elevators to deck 14 really bad vibration, other side light stuck on deck 5. Gotta ignore the little stuff and just have fun. Allure coming in next year, newer and better. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, old man 1010 said:

The coffee in the suite lounge is good, it might be a little strong for some but a water take carry of that. I believe it is 24/7. 

We usually book a Grand Suite but decided on a junior suite for this cruise. Am I correct that the junior suites do not have access to the suite lounge? I like my coffee stronger.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Have had that experience as well, I have drank tea at the coffee promenade and specialty coffee there when the DL machine is broken, but why would anyone drink the coffee there when you have DL coffee.  O, wait I got it when you are up at 5am.  I get up often well before 6AM, I just go to the DL and stare at the crew getting the machine ready…. They usually let me have a cup before 7AM… I am not an addict.  I just need one civilized cup of coffee a day in the morning, and I am good to go.  😆

On 12/16/2021 at 8:34 PM, mein18 said:

Thank you to all those who answered my question on availability! 

As far as those commenting on the quality, as with any coffee venue on land or sea, if the coffee has been sitting, it can be bad. If a fresh brew, it can be very good. I am a coffee snob at the extreme and considering I am not grinding the beans and brewing the coffee at home in my machine, getting the coffee early I am usually getting a fresh brew and with a little adjustment, I have found it being not too bad. 

Thank you all!

As someone who wakes up too early(usually before 5), and a coffee snob- I must warn you, 75% of the time the super early morning coffee is not fresh, in my experience.  I use cream, and that helps 🙂

12 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

As someone who wakes up too early(usually before 5), and a coffee snob- I must warn you, 75% of the time the super early morning coffee is not fresh, in my experience.  I use cream, and that helps 🙂

I do agree.  I always just hope to hit the right place at the right time.   All of the many cruises we have done on Royal have all been on the Voyager or smaller classes so it was pretty easy to find the fresh coffee in the morning.  On Allure it may be harder with all the venues.