Tour Advice in Venice

Fortunate2

As luck and a change in airline schedules would have it, we find ourselves with a free day after disembarking the Silver Dawn in April. Our plan is to drop our luggage at the hotel and we'd like to engage a local guide to take advantage of the day.   Any referrals or experiences in Venice would be appreciated.  Thanks to all.

1 hour ago, Fortunate2 said:

Any referrals or experiences in Venice would be appreciated. 

I suggest a visit to Murano and Burano.  Many tourists never get to those two islands and I found them to be interesting.  The glass works; the lace shops; but, a visit to the Doges Palace and that area also is worth one's time as well.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fortunate2 said:

Thank you Lois - I hadn't and will do.   We hope to meet you on the Dawn in April!

Oh, which date are you sailing? I will be on her from April 1 to April 18th.🙂 and you are welcome.

The Italy Forum has some really informative threads.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Oh, which date are you sailing? I will be on her from April 1 to April 18th.🙂 and you are welcome.

The Italy Forum has some really informative threads.

The Italy forum is packed with information - good reading and helpful.  Thanks!!

We're on Lisbon-Venice so we'll be there enjoying Silversea's hospitality at the same time🙂

Nothing beats just wandering around Venice by yourselves, maybe taking a vaparetto out to the islands in the lagoon, just getting lost, though a map will help.  Guides chatter all the time, charge ridiculous rates and you'll want to get rid of them within ten minutes. 

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Nothing beats just wandering around Venice by yourselves, maybe taking a vaparetto out to the islands in the lagoon, just getting lost, though a map will help.  Guides chatter all the time, charge ridiculous rates and you'll want to get rid of them within ten minutes. 

Appreciate ALL of these great comments and follow-ups.  Per above by the super-experienced Fletcher, agree 100% about the value and benefits from "JUST WALKING AROUND" in Venice.  This is especially true when you get away from the typical tourist areas.  Don't worry about getting lost in Venice.  There are always signs pointing you back to the main plaza, etc.  

The charm and character of Venice and its people are amazing.  On the Italy board, you can look through the below thread with many pictures, ideas, options, details, etc.  Don't be shy with any added questions.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 93,202 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I suggest a visit to Murano and Burano.  Many tourists never get to those two islands and I found them to be interesting.

Absolutely worth it if you have the time. Many hotels have arrangements with one of the glass factories on Murano and can arrange a private water taxi from your hotel, paid for by the glass maker. Of course, they'd like you to buy something after you see the glass blowing, but in our two times doing this, there was no pressure to buy. 

13 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I'll agree and disagree. Absolutely, you should go out and just walk around. St. Mark's Square and Rialto Bridge will be crowded with tourists, but as soon as you get away from those spots, walking is easy and interesting. But I'd disagree that a guide is useless. A guide can provide context to what you're seeing, from history to how locals feel about politics and other current issues -- things you don't get walking around on your own. So given enough time, a walking tour for 2 or 3  hours can help get you oriented and give you a lot of information; then get out and explore or wander on your own. 

For visiting the Doge's Palace (which is definitely worthwhile), a good trick is to find out when they open when you are there, and go right at opening time. you avoid long lines and large tour groups which pile up from mid-morning through the afternoon. On our last visit to Venice, we had breakfast at our hotel, walked to the Doge's Palace, walked right in with no line, breezed through without crowds, went back to our hotel, packed up, and took a vaporetto to the cruise port to board our ship -- a perfect morning. If you don't have a morning flight home, this might be a good strategy for your day of departure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Of course, they'd like you to buy something after you see the glass blowing, but in our two times doing this, there was no pressure to buy. 

That's what I found:  no pressure to buy.  Lots of very lovely pieces with expensive price tags attached.  But, how to get them home in "one piece" would have been a concern of mine.  

The lace shops on Burano fascinated me.  So many different articles and designs!  And, in comparison to the Murano glass prices, much more affordable and much easier to get home.  I enjoy what I purchased.    

Our last trip to Venice we spent a good part of the day on a route we found online for a self guided walking tour of the less beaten path in Venice.  This is on Travlinmad blog site.  There is a map, and commentary on the stops along the way.  If you can get past all the advertising, it is an excellent route that takes you away from the worst of the tourist areas, but is full of one surprise after another.  Worth checking out.   https://www.travlinmad.com/blog/off-the-beaten-path-venice-walking-tour

As I've said before on this forum, if you have any interest in the glorious, world-straddling history of Venice, which was maritime in nature, from Piazza San Marco, walk east along the promenade on north side of Canal San Marco and visit the Naval Museum.  Many floors of fascinating displays regarding the glory days of Venetian dominance of the trade between far east and "west" (Europe).  Or take the vaporetto to the Arsenale stop, and walk east from there to just past the Rio d' Arsenale.  The museum is set back a short distance from the promenade.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Lots of very lovely pieces with expensive price tags attached.  But, how to get them home in "one piece" would have been a concern of mine.  

Unless you're buying a small trinket you can carry with you, the glass factory expects to ship it to you, so you have no worries about how to get it home. 

On our first visit to a Murano glass factory, we didn't purchase anything; we actually just admired the work and never considered purchasing. One our second visit with friends a few years ago, although we had no intention of purchasing anything, both we and they found something we liked and made purchases. Even though our piece was not nearly the most expensive piece in the gallery, for us it was a lot to spend on a piece of art. We spent at least half an hour debating whether to spend what our piece cost -- but each time we walked away, we kept coming back to it, and in the end decided to buy it. And then we were lucky that the artist who created the piece we selected was visiting the factory that day, and we got to meet "the Master". He offered to make one specifically for us, asked about our color and shape choices, took a picture with us, and we now have our one and only piece of art created just for us... and we love it.

These glass factories know how to pack their works safely for shipment, as most things are shipped. They also deal with the customs declarations on international shipments. And if anything goes wrong, they simply make it right. Our friends purchased a glass sailboat and when it arrived the top tip of the sail was broken off, probably no more than 1/4 inch. The glass factory immediately agreed to make a new one and ship it, so they now have the perfect second version and the minimally broken original. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cruiseej said:

These glass factories know how to pack their works safely for shipment, as most things are shipped. They also deal with the customs declarations on international shipments.

This has been my experience as well.  It was all very easy and I have a beautiful glasses that remind me of my honeymoon.

If you have only one day and the budget a good private guide can save you so much time especially if you let them know what you’re most interested in beforehand.  A poster above mentioned something about guides chatting all the time - well if they’re chatting about things that interest you then it’s well worth the money.  I usually learn about politics, local cuisine and food ways and local customs that are sometimes difficult to discern by just walking around.

• Like 2

Fortunate 2,

I'm chiming back with a hotel suggestion.  Last time in Venice (shortly before the pandemic, late fall 2019) my DW and I stayed at Hotel Moresco.  This is in Dorsoduro Sestieri (area).  It is a quiet, non-commercial area, a short walk from Piazzale Roma (where car traffic to Venice stops).  A short walk south leads to S Basilio, a vaporetto stop on Canale della Giudecca.  A short walk to the east leads to the Grand Canal, and all the commercial places associated therewith.  I settled on this nice place after a lot of research, and will absolutely go back there next time we visit.  Very nice staff, clean and well functioning small boutique hotel, with a nice outdoor courtyard, lovely indoor facilities, breakfast (of course), and  on a canal, so can have water taxi pick you up; although, it is a very short walk into the beating heart of Venice (to the east).  I was wondering about whether they are still open, but just this morning got a very nice Christmas email from them; they are celebrating their 10th anniversary, and appear to still be in business.  Note:  They are also close to the Venice cruise terminal - one has to check to see where ships are arriving/departing, but in our view, this is the ideal location combining quiet back street area with short walk to restaurants, vaporetto stops and so forth.  Hope this helps.  

I would recommend the Gritti Palace for a hotel.  We enjoyed touring on our own as Fletcher recommends.  I'd say a map may or may not help.  Ernest Hemmingway (and many other famous people) liked to get loaded at Harry's Bar so I'd recommend having a drink there.  Cipriani had some excellent restaurants in NYC so we had lunch at Harrys.  Big mistake, defines tourist trap IMO.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Cipriani had some excellent restaurants in NYC so we had lunch at Harrys.  Big mistake, defines tourist trap IMO.

Yes, there are "tourist traps" in Venice and in other locations.  We like "local places"!!  Below is a visual and example of a Venice dining location that we enjoyed.  

Another key tip for Venice is to enjoy it during the evenings when most of the "day-trippers" have left.  It can be very different and much more fun during those more-relaxed evening hours.  Need proof and added evidence?  See below a few of my past visuals from wonderful Venice.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 243,220 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Along a canal, this is Da Raffaelle where we had an outdoor table right next to the waterway.  Wonderful food and spectacular setting. It is located at Ponte delle Ostreghe 2347.  It is west of San Marco Square and south of La Fenice Opera House.  Their website is: http://www.ristorantedaraffaele.com/index-eng.htm :

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

02236_n_9aeu76nwm0577_z.thumb.jpeg.ec02c539e4c3597ac166986c1a3ed130.jpeg

While walking around in the back streets of Venice, we found this cute shop that makes the famed masks.  This wasn't a "tourist shop", but a source for the "real thing".:

02155_n_9aeu76nwm0496.thumb.jpeg.bfd649677ac01731185e478e0cb71e25.jpeg

Piazza San Marco is like the "living room" of this great city. Unlike most cities in Europe, this square has people prevailing over the sounds of cars, trucks and motor scooters.  The Piazza has it all, the Basilica of San Marco at its eastern end, the Campanile Tower, other historic buildings and the walkway to where Marco Polo boarded ships to discover China and the East.  Plus, in the evenings, there are the "battle of the bands" with music playing and people enjoying this area without the middle of the day tourist mobs. Those large crowds have departed, making this historic city so much more enjoyable.:

DSC_2707.thumb.jpeg.2090ab951cdc912a0bd25a9dfb3ba346.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I'm chiming back with a hotel suggestion.  Last time in Venice (shortly before the pandemic, late fall 2019) my DW and I stayed at Hotel Moresco.

It's looks lovely and a great suggestion.  Thanks for chiming in!!

Thanks host Jazzbeau, they are very much on the list. Especially for the Douro. Uniworlds style is very much to my taste. I’ve taken 2 river cruises previously, one with my partner and 1 solo which I made the best lifelong friends/future travel buddies with. I Must admit I’m a sucker for elegant/traditional/opulent styles. I’m hugely looking forward to my first stay at the Versace mansion in a couple of weeks, firstly in Donatellas suite and then in Giannis. I’ve always loved Versace. The bridal suite in my hotel was one of (if not) the first in the uk to be decorated in Versace wallpaper. After a very long wait and several problems getting it here, one quick phone call to Milan and It was on the next plane to the uk, met at the airport by their rep and delivered in person by a gentleman in a very smart suit at 8.00pm the same day. Service like that is never forgotten. 

BTW Host Jazzbeau, this site has become almost unusable on an iPad lately. It can take up to 20 attempts to post a reply. The site won’t let you post because it thinks you’re not logged in even though you are logged in. If you try to reply to a quote it tries to quote every post on a page and whilst it displays a “submit reply” button, you can’t actually push it. This is at the same time that you get the join or login buttons at the bottom and when you scroll up you are still shown as logged in. The site is becoming infuriating to use. Many users are suffering the same problems. Can you please pass this on to the people that are supposed to take care of these things?

7 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

BTW Host Jazzbeau, this site has become almost unusable on an iPad lately. It can take up to 20 attempts to post a reply. The site won’t let you post because it thinks you’re not logged in even though you are logged in. If you try to reply to a quote it tries to quote every post on a page and whilst it displays a “submit reply” button, you can’t actually push it. This is at the same time that you get the join or login buttons at the bottom and when you scroll up you are still shown as logged in. The site is becoming infuriating to use. Many users are suffering the same problems. Can you please pass this on to the people that are supposed to take care of these things?

They know, but the people I deal with don't seem to have any control over the boffins that do the website.  BTW I get the same symptoms on a MacBook Pro.  The solution for me is to delete Cruise Critic cookies.  I don't know how to do that on an iPad, but when my iPhone starts acting up with CC I just reboot the phone.