Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?

Annabel50

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

The curtailment only happened overnight, Covid cases and cancelled port stops are happening on almost every ship sailing from the US so it's not particularly newsworthy.

Just look at other boards on this forum.

I would think the story will be picked up somewhere eventually.

This story has been blacked out from the regular press better than the Normandy invasion. Search from one end of the internet to the other nada about this cruise. Lots of info about other lines and their issues.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

This story has been blacked out from the regular press better than the Normandy invasion. Search from one end of the internet to the other nada about this cruise. Lots of info about other lines and their issues.

Same in the UK - quite remarkable.  I suspect it has something to do with advertising revenues.

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same in the UK - quite remarkable.  I suspect it has something to do with advertising revenues.

I suspect it has more to do with journalists being on Christmas  holidays. Tv news is full of year end reviews and other fillers and has a very narrow range of news. Of course they could also be short staffed due to Covid.

• Like 1

Unfortunately omicron virus is responsible here as we know, UK cases are at just under 130,000 per day, France is apparently at 200,000 and I think US is at 400,000 per day. It is no wonder that QM2 would not be exempt from this. Bearing in mind that this variant was only discovered in early December in the UK, not sure about the US, probably after all payments were made for the cruise and indeed only 3 weeks before the cruise departure. Unfortunate but I guess, most of the passengers knew the risk and still went ahead. 

I feel sorry for those infected, but personally having seen the results of this new variant it is very mild and I hope all recover well, probably by the time you get to Southampton.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tv24 said:

Everyone on the ship was vaccinated, crew and passengers.  A requirement to board.  But in NY we passengers (and maybe some staff???) were able to go out and tour our explore, and it is certainly conceivable that someone picked up Omicron on land even though we were vaccinated.  Omicron is very contagious.

The fact that people fully vaccinated can come down with omicron variant makes it obvious that they can also carry it and spread it - even if was not on board  during trip from Southampton to Brooklyn  just one person coming on board - or interacting with someone coming on board makes entire set of protocols close to futile.

As I posted somewhere else, because the Omicron virial load is lower, it takes longer for LFTs to pick up which is meaning that people can pick it up, no symptoms, and still get on board ship. They then transmit it before the next set of testing. Repeat.

The omicron variant is having more of a 'norovirus' impact on each cruise than the 'Diamond Princess' impact that Covid was originally happening. Therefore arguably its not as noteworthy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I would think that Cunard are rather too busy making arrangements for their customers to keep random members of the public informed. I don't understand what you think they owe you.

We, the public are their customers and expect and deserve to be kept informed of what is going on. I paid my deposit in October for my new year cruise and do not consider myself as some ‘random member of the public’. As such I have received no communication from Cunard as to whether my cruise is taking place or not. Considering the fact that Germany is closed to visitors I suspect the answer is ‘not’. As a CC host I think you need to step back and not be so judgemental.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

We, the public are their customers and expect and deserve to be kept informed of what is going on. I paid my deposit in October for my new year cruise and do not consider myself as some ‘random member of the public’. As such I have received no communication from Cunard as to whether my cruise is taking place or not. Considering the fact that Germany is closed to visitors I suspect the answer is ‘not’. As a CC host I think you need to step back and not be so judgemental.

Its not standard procedure for Cunard to reconfirm their cruises are still sailing two weeks before departure. This is a classic no new is good news scenario.  A week out you should start getting reminders to ensure you've checked in, and 3 days out to do your health declaration.

If Cunard cancel the cruise, they will issue a notice. Until then carry on as normal, as you would do any other year.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

If you have a booking for an imminent cruise, you are hardly a random member of the public, so why take offence?

I suppose a bias in favour of fair play is as judgemental as any other point of view.  But I find it soothing. Thank you, HH.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

I was not replying to someone with a Cunard cruise booked in the near future, I would expect Cunard to communicate with their customers as soon as they have useful information.

This is a very fast moving situation and I think everyone has to be a little patient while they deal with those currently onboard.

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Its not standard procedure for Cunard to reconfirm their cruises are still sailing two weeks before departure. This is a classic no new is good news scenario.  A week out you should start getting reminders to ensure you've checked in, and 3 days out to do your health declaration.

If Cunard cancel the cruise, they will issue a notice. Until then carry on as normal, as you would do any other year.

When the only destination of a cruise is no longer accepting tourists and the cruise is less than 2 weeks away I think it's a bit of a stretch to tell the passenger "no news is good news"

Although I admire you for trying! 

Assuming this is the January 10th 4 night Hamburg cruise ?

Apologies in advance if I'm mistaken 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

When the only destination of a cruise is no longer accepting tourists and the cruise is less than 2 weeks away I think it's a bit of a stretch to tell the passenger "no news is good news"

Although I admire you for trying! 

Assuming this is the January 10th 4 night Hamburg cruise ?

Apologies in advance if I'm mistaken 

Except, for all you know, Cunard may have been advised by the German government that they expect to change restrictions by then. I admit, unlikely, but non-the-less. 

On a more practical level, until Cunard have booked an alternative, or decided that there will not be one, announcing that it won't call at Hamburg will only generate queries which can't be answered. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Except, for all you know, Cunard may have been advised by the German government that they expect to change restrictions by then. I admit, unlikely, but non-the-less. 

On a more practical level, until Cunard have booked an alternative, or decided that there will not be one, announcing that it won't call at Hamburg will only generate queries which can't be answered. 

Now thats a lot lot different from "no news is good news"

I think you will agree?

If a cruise is unlikely to progress as normal at this stage then passengers should be given enough notice to make changes to plans/ change  holidays booked from work etc

Not everyone is retired with nothing in their life to do but wait for the next cruise to happen or not

I say all this whilst being glad I'm not the one in charge at cruise lines having to manage something that is becoming so so unpredictable

Nightmare job tbf

14 minutes ago, kohl1957 said:

I am scheduled to depart Washington exactly two weeks from tomorrow to join QUEEN MARY 2 at Southampton for the West Indies. "Checked-in" as well and printed off those ghastly fold 23 ways and staple baggage "tags". I pine for the days of the fancy ticket wallets, proper tags and stickers.

But yes, a bit predictably edgy about all this. But still planning and yes looking forward to my cruise. Mine. Not worrying about others or past ones or indeed future ones.  If anyone is booked on Cunard or any cruise say from mid February onwards... save the angst.  Two months ago we never even heard of "omicron." In two months, we may have seen the back of it.  Who knows? Who cares. There's nothing you can do about it anyway. 

Nor do I expect Cunard to send daily "situational briefings"... this is not D-Day Plus 2. Just isn't.  Nor do I want speculative dribs, drabs and "ifs" and "mights" from Cunard or "the media."  I can come up with better ones than they can. So can this board.   No news is indeed good news.  The prospect of being back aboard a Cunarder is still something I, at least, anticipate not dread.  If you dread it, cancel. And yes, I wish Cunard let us all just throw up our hands sometimes.  It sometimes feels like the first day of school is approaching.

Didn't the British invent "KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON."?  Wise words then. And now methinks.

My sentiments exactly. It is what it is until told otherwise.  In the current world situation with C-19, I think we all have to have flexible expectations  and like a tree, bend with the wind. 

There will be more variants to come until we’ve used up the Greek alphabet ! 

Edited by watsonbeau

54 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Has it not occurred to you that such a decision has yet to be made by Cunard when ALL the facts have been verified? 

I sailed with P&O (a Carnival Company) earlier this month when Hamburg was originally on the itinerary. It was no big deal when the Germans blocked us and the cruise, we had a thoroughly enjoyable cruise calling at Zeebrugge, Rotterdam and Le Havre (Three days before Napoleon shut us out) 

• Like 2

Article says additional staff is needed prior to sailing for Southampton and crew members will be boarded in Barbados, thus the additional time there and cancelled the ship’s call to New York City scheduled for January 3.

https://crew-center.com/cunard-cancels-queen-mary-2-call-new-york-city?fbclid=IwAR2NEbJE2yGl3iaH2sKPQp4QaC7fwcTkccKVLMbl_HfbKrqd-4k-jP4bTag

Edited by logan25

• logan25 changed the title to Cunard Queen Mary Cancels Call to New York

I am currently onboard QM2.  We are at anchor off Barbados.  To put it kindly Captain Hall has provided no context to passengers as to why the cruise has been halted.  We have been given zero information as to the status of COVID cases onboard.  There are rumors of a charter flight having been booked to fly North American passengers home on the 1st and 2nd.  My family and I are beyond disappointed with the near total lack of communication from Captain Hall / Cunard.  I have sent Captain Hall the following letter via the pursers desk:

"Captain Hall, 

I would like to first thank you and all of your crew for all that you have done and are doing to provide a pleasant and safe journey for all onboard Queen Mary 2 under such extremely extraordinary circumstances.  I am also grateful to all Cunard, Carnival UK, Carnival shoreside personnel who are working to make arrangements for North American passengers to return home.   

As a passenger who joined Queen Mary 2 in Brooklyn on the 22 nd, I would respectfully ask that you please consider sharing with North American passengers the context of how Cunard came to the decision that Queen Mary 2 will head directly to Southampton UK vs. stopping at a North American port to disembark North American passengers.  From news reports it would appear that the port of New York has closed due to Omicron?  Is there a reason Queen Mary 2 could not make a stop in an alternative North American port to disembark North American passengers?  Cunard forcing North American passengers to disembark in Barbados and fly commercially during the pandemic feels a bit like Cunard is abandoning the North American passengers.  My elderly parents and I drove to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal rather than flying from our homes in Central Virginia specifically in order to avoid flying during COVID.  We had not foreseen any possible circumstance under which Cunard would not return us to North America via ship.  If you would kindly consider sharing with the passengers some additional information about why Cunard has had to make the difficult decisions that it has made, that would go a long way towards alleviating some of the anxiety and concerns felt by myself, as well as many other passengers.   

Best wishes to you and all of the Queen Mary 2 crew!"

• Like 6

What about luggage size and weight?  Isn't there a weight limit on luggage on an airplane?  I was on the QM2 in 2006, where there was a woman who had a huge box filled with just hats.  A charter flight only holds so many people. 

My mom's friend is going to have some interesting stories.  

Are they letting people make phone calls from the ship to North America?