Edge Specialty Dining

as3369

In my limited experience of one recent cruise:

The Japanese restaurant had decent food, for a decent price.

No specialty restaurant was better than the Luminae dining room food, however.

Edited by Catlover54
Clarity

38 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

In my limited experience of one recent cruise:

The Japanese restaurant had decent food, for a decent price.

No specialty restaurant was better than the Luminae dining room food, however.

Thank you.  We are in a suite but deciding whether we venture out to specialty or not.

• Like 1

The French, Japanese and steak places also are open to loud music from the nearby open Plaza/Martini bar area, which I found annoying in the evening when wanting to relax with a fine meal, but many don't care or like it.

Also, food is very subjective and we have different tastes, so trying your favorite kind of food regardless of our opinions might be still worth it! 

• Like 2

Le Bistro for lunch, best meal we’ve had on a cruise was in Eden.  Also enjoyed Fine Cut twice and were disappointed there once.  We’ve had three or four dinners at Raw on Five, all enjoyable.  What we didn’t love was the Edge’s Luminae as it was crowded, noisy and slow service at dinner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oville said:

Le Bistro for lunch, best meal we’ve had on a cruise was in Eden.  Also enjoyed Fine Cut twice and were disappointed there once.  We’ve had three or four dinners at Raw on Five, all enjoyable.  What we didn’t love was the Edge’s Luminae as it was crowded, noisy and slow service at dinner.

I agree Luminae on the E class is crowded and noisy, although we have had good service.  Since I can’t eat any seafood or fish that eliminates  2/3 of the menu.  For me Luminae on the M class works best as I can chose from the Luminae, Blu or MDR menus.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oville said:

I suspect that Luminae will be even more crowded on the Beyond when they add more suites.  Not looking like a positive change for Beyond.

Le Grand Bistro for lunch is the best thing we did on the Edge two years ago.     Fabulous food and great service.     Same for Raw on 5.     We were a bit disappointed in Fine Cut - the quality of the steak is not up to what you get at a good steakhouse.

People rave about dinner at Eden - we for sure are going to eat there on our upcoming Apex cruise.  

11 hours ago, as3369 said:

Thank you.  We are in a suite but deciding whether we venture out to specialty or not.

This was my question also.  I booked Tuscan as it has always been a favourite of ours on S class ships and also Fine Cut Steak House.  Hopefully the steaks will be better quality than one posters experience.  We'll enjoy Luminae but nice to have a choice in other dining rooms (which look lovely BTW).

Edited by Oceangoer2

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

I agree Luminae on the E class is crowded and noisy, although we have had good service.  Since I can’t eat any seafood or fish that eliminates  2/3 of the menu.  For me Luminae on the M class works best as I can chose from the Luminae, Blu or MDR menus.

I don't eat fish either....so not a big menu choice in Luminae?

We were on the Edge in September and I had the worst meal of the week at Fine Cut Steak.  My ribeye was  absolutely horrible-- tissuey and difficult to chew.  I threw most of it away.  We had a good (not great) meal at Rooftop Garden.  It has a wonderful atmosphere up there in the evening.  Luminae was hit and miss for us as well.  I had a great filet one night followed by short ribs the following night that were 90% fat.  We went to Blue one evening and had the best service and meal of the week.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SueMo said:

We were on the Edge in September and I had the worst meal of the week at Fine Cut Steak.  My ribeye was  absolutely horrible-- tissuey and difficult to chew.  I threw most of it away.  We had a good (not great) meal at Rooftop Garden.  It has a wonderful atmosphere up there in the evening.  Luminae was hit and miss for us as well.  I had a great filet one night followed by short ribs the following night that were 90% fat.  We went to Blue one evening and had the best service and meal of the week.

I would have liked those fatty ribs 😋

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, as3369 said:

Celebrity suite perks and there dining room Luminae are excellent no real need to go to specialty, but we always do one or two my favorite was definitely Le Petit Chef it is very unique, we had a high end suite so specialty restaurants were free but still had most meals in Luminae.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 4:41 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

I suspect that Luminae will be even more crowded on the Beyond when they add more suites.  Not looking like a positive change for Beyond.

Since the Luminae is being relocated with the Beyond design, perhaps it will be enlarged.  

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 7:39 AM, CruiseRQA said:

People rave about dinner at Eden - we for sure are going to eat there on our upcoming Apex cruise.  

Dinner at Eden on the Apex is different than dinner at Eden on the Edge.  On the Edge, it was a bit more "outside the box" and you were limited to an A versus B choice over four courses.  On the Apex, there are many more choices available for your courses and is less outside of the box.

For instance, my DW doesn't eat seafood so we couldn't go to Eden on the Edge back in 2020.  But there are choices for her on the Apex, so we will be going next month.

14 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Dinner at Eden on the Apex is different than dinner at Eden on the Edge.  On the Edge, it was a bit more "outside the box" and you were limited to an A versus B choice over four courses.  On the Apex, there are many more choices available for your courses and is less outside of the box.

For instance, my DW doesn't eat seafood so we couldn't go to Eden on the Edge back in 2020.  But there are choices for her on the Apex, so we will be going next month.

That is useful information, thank you.  I assumed they would be identical.

On Edge, I enjoyed the interesting and creative visual presentations, and the excellent service, but only one course ("Nemeste"), and would not go again even if offered for free. 

On 12/24/2021 at 7:04 AM, rollie said:

This may not be popular, the the main restaurants are very good on the Edge, and imho you are throwing money away by going to an uncharge restaurant.

Rollie

Totally agree as you are already paying for your MDR meal so IMO a waste of money. We rarely eat out even at home as I can make pretty much anything served in a restaurant.  Looking forward to my first Edge ship end of January. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 3:27 PM, George C said:

Celebrity suite perks and there dining room Luminae are excellent no real need to go to specialty, but we always do one or two my favorite was definitely Le Petit Chef it is very unique, we had a high end suite so specialty restaurants were free but still had most meals in Luminae.

We are in the Royal Suite and therefore, the specialty dining is included.  The shoreside concierge sent us an email for dinner reservations so just trying to plan that out.  We watched a video of Le Petit Chef and definitely want to visit!  However, the first night we are just going to eat in one of the MDR's.

• Like 1