Symphony - terrible / no shows / Covid ?

danielwje1

Cruising with my girlfriend for the first time. I am a long time Royal cruise but my gf’s first time on a cruise ship. 

we’re onboard Symphony for Christmas. It appears that there’s no production or water shows all cruise (although they haven’t been very transparent about this), just not in the schedules. 

we also could only book anytime dining for 8:15pm. Turned up last night and had to wait in line for 25 minutes before being seated. Extremely crowded. We were seated next to a family with about 10cm between the tables. It felt awkwardly close and not very private. My girlfriend says it’s like a zoo onboard. 

im so disappointed since we paid quite a price premium for symphony and can’t even see any of the shows. My girlfriend also wonders why I’ve been saying I enjoy cruises. If you were in my position, what would you do? Should I complain? 

We also had Vision OTS pull up next to us at Coco Cay and transfer around 100 crew members to Symphony. I can only assume many of the crew have Covid and they’re understaffed? 

I wish Royal Caribbean and the cruise Director would be more honest about what’s going on onboard. If many of the cast have Covid and many of the waiter have Covid, I think being transparent and open would create more trust. 

0419F2E1-2567-4054-AD4F-76AF1B112639.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Not a good start- my advise is to avoid people because one cough close by and you will end up like me with covid from a cruise. Although with a full ship, good luck! To think you paid more for this experience being a holiday...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, danielwje1 said:

Cruising with my girlfriend for the first time. I am a long time Royal cruise but my gf’s first time on a cruise ship. 

we’re onboard Symphony for Christmas. It appears that there’s no production or water shows all cruise (although they haven’t been very transparent about this), just not in the schedules. 

we also could only book anytime dining for 8:15pm. Turned up last night and had to wait in line for 25 minutes before being seated. Extremely crowded. We were seated next to a family with about 10cm between the tables. It felt awkwardly close and not very private. My girlfriend says it’s like a zoo onboard. 

im so disappointed since we paid quite a price premium for symphony and can’t even see any of the shows. My girlfriend also wonders why I’ve been saying I enjoy cruises. If you were in my position, what would you do? Should I complain? 

We also had Vision OTS pull up next to us at Coco Cay and transfer around 100 crew members to Symphony. I can only assume many of the crew have Covid and they’re understaffed? 

I wish Royal Caribbean and the cruise Director would be more honest about what’s going on onboard. If many of the cast have Covid and many of the waiter have Covid, I think being transparent and open would create more trust. 

this looks like my adventure cruise in November.  Absolutely ridiculous lines everywhere with no social distancing for dinner, lunch at Windjammer, off and on at ports.  It wasnt during holiday season.  Our issue was they had no staff due to new staff having to do a 14 day quarantine since ship just started sailing on 11/8.  Masks do nothing if you are standing this close.  They really need to ban the cloth masks and use n95 if they keep this lack of social distancing.  That's what we have for flights and our cruise tomorrow.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DevonfromAcme said:

With all due respect, what did you expect?

You booked a gigantic ship AT CHRISTMAS (literally THE premium week of the entire year), during a pandemic.

I'm really not sure what you're asking, here. . .

I agree with everything you said. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, pbokie said:

The N95 mask might be giving you a false sense of security. You might check the actual protocols for wearing and see if you are following them. 

which would you wear?  the cloth or n95?  I prefer the n95 because I can't smell anything in them.  And if I can't smell it means to me not a lot getting through.  I can smell everything through a cloth mask

Since I am vaxed and got my booster 3 weeks ago, I feel pretty safe.  I feel safer with the mask that I can't smell anything in.  jmo.  

• Like 6

I was disappointed a week ago the earliest time I could book for anytime dining was 730 pm. Missed the show the first night though I did get seated at a early dining when I complained. All the shows are at 8 pm so those are mainly the only times you can reserve.

I finally decided the problem was the other dining room set aside for unvaccinated so there wasnt a dining room for anytime set aside and they work anytime in between early and late in the same dining room. I ate in the WJ for dinner 3 or 4 nights too. 

I thought anytime dining stinks. Agree with OP and I was on another ship liberty. They said well just walk up and wait and they will work you in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DevonfromAcme said:

You booked a gigantic ship AT CHRISTMAS (literally THE premium week of the entire year), during a pandemic.

THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ nailed it. 

😎

• Like 13

As a person who usually cruises beginning of Dec (often great prices), or Feb, I’ve never really thought about how packed a ship is over the holidays.  After reading about everyone’s experiences with the crowdedness, now I know I’ll never book a holiday one! Even if I don’t factor in covid, I don’t think it’s something we’d enjoy.

• Like 9

I’m also on board. I’d say that the issues are 1) total lack of programming onboard, 2) lack of transparency, 3) lack of / dysfunctional communication, and 4) lack of protocol following. 
I haven’t experienced the same lines but I also booked all of my dining in advance. 
In terms of communications — there is zero. Not what’s going on. For example - app showed formal nights 2, 4, 7. Cruise compass showed casual for night 2. An excursion was listed in the app with a 715am meeting time but the tickets showed 730. We cleared from the dock at 740. Even though I know it from past cruises, zero mention of need to bring towels and a lot of people showed up without — for a beach excursion. Its truly amateur hour. 
There is zero — I mean zero social distancing going on. Packed elevators and the stairwell by the gangway is shoulder to shoulder. I saw a handful of people with masks pulled down. Not good. No crew to be seen. 

This is all in stark contrast to our August cruise on Adventure. 

On a positive note, food at specialty restaurants has been excellent, our day at CocoCay (beach club) was terrific and staff was attentive (also didn’t feel ‘crowded’), and we haven’t experienced lines in excess of what we had on pre Covid cruises. 

As we’re waiting to depart for our shore excursion I sure am curious whether the late departure will still return on schedule. Let’s see. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, danielwje1 said:

Hello,

Perhaps let your girlfriend know that sailing during Christmas on any ship is usually a bit different than during the rest of the year. (Personally, I usually avoid holiday sailings due to there usually been more people in general - before the pandemic.) Then also remind her that things are indeed different when sailing during a pandemic on top of that. Yes, the ship may have taken on staff from another ship to assist if some crew are in quarantine. This would not be shocking if you have read any of the threads on here from the past few days. It appears from all the hysteria in postings on this site, people can't help themselves but talk about, speculate, and misinform others about all that's going on with some crew on various ships. But, please don't get overly alarmed by all that. Again, some folks like to stir up stuff or be dramatic online. There is plenty drama on social media as well about cruises right now. I guess it gives people some excitement or attention in their lives. Regarding dining, you can ask for a different table. I was on Symphony recently and ate in the MDR sometimes, but used other options other nights since I wanted to check out the options.  If you look at the dining room, you'll see that there are some areas in which there is more spacing for tables or that the area where a table is located has less staff and passenger traffic. So, you can see that there are some better positioned tables for a calmer experience and more space during dinner. Wuth the dining option you chose, you can ask for a table in a different location. I did each night.  Also, I enjoyed dinner in the Solarium Bistro sometimes. Perhaps consider that option. It was never chaotic there, and I was able to get reservations even though the app said sold out. I was able to ask there directly. Maybe I was lucky. But, each night I was there, there were plenty available tables. But, again, you are on the Christmas sailing, so perhaps it is different. Also, there are options for less crowded options for relaxing on the ship.  Explore the ship a little more. I found two great sweet spots that I enjoyed. No crowds there. I could sit and enjoy views and sounds of the ocean. Did that for  hours on sea days. I left all the people who had not researched the ship in the Solarium pool area to deal with that, lol. You can indeed make some adjustments that will help you have a good experience. There are options. Oh, btw, I loved Central Park at night when events were not taking place there. It was so peaceful. During events, more people were there of course. But, when nothing was going on, it was nice. So, indeed, there are options. Regarding shows, when it calms down a bit, yes, you can ask about status of shows for the week. I'm guessing you mean that in the app, the shows were not showing up or they are not listed in the compass or on that separate show schedule they usually provide Day 1 for the week. Please know, everything is indeed changing day by day right now. Last week and this week, changes have occurred each day as the situation unfolds. Perhaps encouraging yourself and your girlfriend to be open to a fluid situation this sailing will help you both reduce some tension and possuble disappointment. It would not be wise to compare this week to anything like a typical cruise experience. Too many factors are different for that kind of comparison.  I wish you both the best. Have a good cruise. Happy Holidays! 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, jasongoldberg said:

An excursion was listed in the app with a 715am meeting time but the tickets showed 730. We cleared from the dock at 740. Even though I know it from past cruises, zero mention of need to bring towels and a lot of people showed up without — for a beach excursion. Its truly amateur hour. 

We had this happen too. We signed up for a 830 excursion in roatan. We looked at our tickets that arrived in our cabins showing a 915 time to meet. Docked at 830. Both cabins who signed up went to customer service who acted like it was nothing to do with them. I have a email confirming the 830 time for the excursion I prepaid. Desk said time was always 930, never was changed. The other cabin asked about cancelling and was told too late by the time we boarded, not allowed to cancel. 

Gotta roll with a few problems to cruise in covid and just shrug them off. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DevonfromAcme said:

Royal has been saying they are “returning to normal“ for sometime. They have been increasing their passenger count  every week, and have been selling cruises like crazy. All we keep hearing is that the ship is safe, they are taking safety precautions, and that ships will be at capacity by the end of the year.  

Given this spin, the OP had every right to expect a traditional Christmas cruise.  Unfortunately, for both passengers/crew and the company, we’ve been hit by yet another Covid variant. I’m not sure anyone knew about the effects of this highly contagious variant.  

Sadly for the OP, conditions have dramatically changed since he booked his cruise.  

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Royal has been saying they are “returning to normal“ for sometime. They have been increasing their passenger count  every week, and have been selling cruises like crazy. All we keep hearing is that the ship is safe, they are taking safety precautions, and that ships will be at capacity by the end of the year.  

Given this spin, the OP had every right to expect a traditional Christmas cruise.  Unfortunately, for both passengers/crew and the company, we’ve been hit by yet another Covid variant. I’m not sure anyone knew about the effects of this highly contagious variant.  

Sadly for the OP, conditions have dramatically changed since he booked his cruise.  

If ANY ONE heard or read this, and actually believed it, then I have some swamp land in Florida for sale. This pandemic has literally been non-stop since it started in 2019, and anyone thinking it was going to be over just in time for the 2021 Christmas holidays hasn’t been paying attention. 

For all of the emails, and emails, and emails, and RCI website reminders of onboard protocols, and on-line check-in reminders, and COVID testing requirements, and warnings about social distancing and venue restrictions, and all of the Live threads and discussion threads on Cruise Critic for the last six months, all of this should have been a giant red flag that ANY cruise during this holiday time wasn’t going to be “traditional” or “normal”. On the contrary, I’d have expected an absolute worse-case scenario cruise, since these final cruises of the year are always packed to the brim (and now, during a global PANDEMIC), and been pleasantly surprised if nothing happened. 

😎

Edited by matt1
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, highfields said:

Someone on our roll call Enchanment of the Seas January 28th said they have a 8 month baby and 3 and 1/2 yr toddler both unvaxed. They want to go on tours by themselves not ship tours. What are they thinking?

Probably that their children are very low risk. But, they know the current rules so they won't be able to do anything about it.  

• Like 6

Sounds to me like Royal is being transparent.  They said how many were identified.  They said they were moved to quarantine cabins.  They have said what their safety precautions are.  What more should they say?  

• Like 1

Thanks all. I think given the marketing (all is back to normal and the royal promise etc) and the price paid for this cruise, we should be within our rights to expect a relatively normal cruise.

i also understand if the crew catch Covid etc there’s not much that can be done. Not blaming anyone, with all the lack of entertainment and facilities it’s just very disappointing and I expected so much more 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, danielwje1 said:

Thanks all. I think given the marketing (all is back to normal and the royal promise etc) and the price paid for this cruise, we should be within our rights to expect a relatively normal cruise.

i also understand if the crew catch Covid etc there’s not much that can be done. Not blaming anyone, with all the lack of entertainment and facilities it’s just very disappointing and I expected so much more 

Things changed a lot over the last two weeks.  We were on HOTS for a b2b (Nov 28 and Dec 5) and everything was pretty normal.  Other than masking and a couple of events not happening it was pretty normal.  And, as far as positive crew goes, by the rules they accepted in order to cruise again, they have to quarantine, and by tracing that impacts a lot of people.  None of this is RCI's fault.

• Like 4