If I'm in Aqua Class, can we still eat in the main dining room?

Stockjock

Currently we have a Sweet 16 veranda.  I have low bids on Sunset Veranda and Aqua Class.  I think there's better than a 50/50 chance I'll get Aqua Class, as there is good availability, but who knows?

If we get AQ, can we still eat in the MDR, or are we confined to Blu?  Would it be worth a small amount to upgrade, or better to stick with the larger balcony on a Sweet 16 veranda and eat in the MDR?  I only have a day or two to cancel my bids, if I decide to do so, as the sail date is rapidly approaching.  This is on Summit, FWIW.

Edited by Stockjock

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Currently we have a Sweet 16 veranda.  I have low bids on Sunset Veranda and Aqua Class.  I think there's better than a 50/50 chance I'll get Aqua Class, as there is good availability, but who knows?

If we get AQ, can we still eat in the MDR, or are we confined to Blu?  Would it be worth a small amount to upgrade, or better to stick with the larger balcony on a Sweet 16 veranda and eat in the MDR?  I only have a day or two to cancel my bids, if I decide to do so, as the sail date is rapidly approaching.  This is on Summit, FWIW.

The main reason most people book Aqua is to dine in Blu. The cabin and balcony are standard  size, shower slightly better, Persian Garden on M class is not wonderful….I do wonder what you would gain from upgrading….

Sunset Verandas offer a fantastic wake view. I must confess to finding a wake view wonderful at night. Hopefully someone who has cruised in one and a Sweet 16 can advise re cabin size, veranda size etc.

Any deals on suites? This is the level of upgrade that does give significant additional perks with Luminae for dining, the suite lounge and Summit is one of the ships that has been upgraded to include a suite deck. Just a thought….

4 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Your assigned dining room is Blu, you can eat in the MDR if you wish but they will provide you with MDR menu in Blu.

We have been in Aqua a few times ( all on S class ships ) and from what we experienced when we were not given the MDR menu when asked for it , I think it depends on the restaurant Maitre'D whether they will provide it or not.

I can't remember which ship or the Maitre'D's name , but, it did happen. 

( LOL----We did not argue , cause a " scene " , write letters to the CEO , rate anything negative on the survey, and didn't even remove the gratuities ) --- So, there !!! 

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

We have been in Aqua a few times ( all on S class ships ) and from what we experienced when we were not given the MDR menu when asked for it , I think it depends on the restaurant Maitre'D whether they will provide it or not.

I can't remember which ship or the Maitre'D's name , but, it did happen. 

( LOL----We did not argue , cause a " scene " , write letters to the CEO , rate anything negative on the survey, and didn't even remove the gratuities ) --- So, there !!! 

You can now pull up the MDR menu on the Celebrity app.  I ordered from the MDR in Blu multiple times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We’ve sailed both in Aqua class and in a sweet 16 cabin on Summit.  We would hands down take the sweet 16!  If you don’t really care about dining in Blu, there really is no need to to pay more for Aqua class.  However, a Sunset Veranda is quite lovely.  FWIW, we did not love Blu, but that’s just us.

• Like 2

To the OP question is yes you can eat in the MDR select Dining section of the MDR. In the past we had been told by the Maitre'D in Blu that we could not order off the MDR menu. Our last cruise Oct 1st on Millie our waiter in Blu said we can order off the MDR menu.

Just now, bigbenboys said:

In the past we had been told by the Maitre'D in Blu that we could not order off the MDR menu.

YOU too ??  LOL , so it wasn't because I'm a Canadian and couldn't pronounce or didn't know what 1/2 the food selections were ??  

However, the ambiance and service in Blu was excellent --- the tables for 2 are quite close together -- chat with the folks beside you or not--- until ---they say  " can I show you some pictures of our grandchildren " ? 

• Haha 2

You can eat in the MDR if you want. 
The MDR kitchen location is closer to Blu on some ships than others which makes it easier to order from the MDR menu in Blu. 
We were on Equinox and the MDR kitchen was far from Blu. We were able to order some items from the MDR menu but it was evident our request wasn’t easy to expedite. They did it anyway because they want to please guests. 

On the M-Class ships, the MDR & Blu are virtually collocated.  You can peruse the MDR menu posted outside the restaurant ahead of time.  If there is something you would like from it, it shouldn't be an issue.  On the S-Class, the kitchens are on separate decks, and it makes it  a challenge to get items from it into Blu.

8 hours ago, Stockjock said:

If we get AQ, can we still eat in the MDR, or are we confined to Blu?  Would it be worth a small amount to upgrade, or better to stick with the larger balcony on a Sweet 16 veranda and eat in the MDR?

If you don't plan to dine in Blu, by bidding on an AQ move-up, you are agreeing to pay extra for what will be, in all likelihood, an inferior cabin and almost no benefits.

• Like 2

If you wish to actually eat in the MDR instead of in blu, coordinate that with the host or hostess of blu, keeping in mind that you do not have an assigned table in the MDR so they will need to make an arrangement for you.   That is easier as the ships are sailing so empty, but more difficult once they get back to full capacity.

On the Equinox in August we were allowed to order from the MDR menu in Luminae, in fact our waiter volunteered to get one when my wife responded nothing on the Luminae menu excited her one night. It turned out that what she ordered from the MDR was just terrible and again our waiter stepped up and got her something different from the Luminae kitchen.

Having been in AQUA prior to our Suite on the Equinox, Blu was the only reason for us to book AQUA Class. Much smaller and more intimate dinning with great service. All the years we cruised and ate in MDR;s have mostly been disappointing.

I looked at the menus of both restaurants.  TBH, there seems to be more choices in the MDR and more traditional choices that are to my liking.  Let me know if I'm missing something.

Probably going to cancel my Aqua Class bid and leave the Sunset Veranda bid intact.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Thanks 1

Another consideration, not food related. An Aqua class cabin gives you more loyalty points than a balcony cabin. So, a seven- night cruise for example adds 14 more points toward your next tier. If that means anything, perhaps keeping an Aqua class cabin, if obtained, would be worthwhile. I am sure that you would be able to sort out dining options once onboard. 

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

I looked at the menus of both restaurants.  TBH, there seems to be more choices in the MDR and more traditional choices that are to my liking.  Let me know if I'm missing something.

Probably going to cancel my Aqua Class bid and leave the Sunset Veranda bid intact.

Great choice!  Hope you get that Sunset Veranda, as they are wonderful!

10 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Another consideration, not food related. An Aqua class cabin gives you more loyalty points than a balcony cabin. So, a seven- night cruise for example adds 14 more points toward your next tier. If that means anything, perhaps keeping an Aqua class cabin, if obtained, would be worthwhile. I am sure that you would be able to sort out dining options once onboard. 

Someone can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that obtaining a higher category/class of cabin through the bidding process does not add any additional loyalty points.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Someone can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that obtaining a higher category/class of cabin through the bidding process does not add any additional loyalty points.

I believe you are correct. 

If that is correct, as terrydtx says it is, thank you for educating me. Never having gone through a bidding process, I was unaware. 

37 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

If you book the room this is true.  But if you get it through bidding you do not get the extra points.

32 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

So can we eat in both Blu & one of the MDR in the same eve?

There's assigned seating in MDR? 

Thought it was open seating in the MDR, not correct?

Thanks,

Yup, sock it to 'em--- it averages down the cost of the cruise.

Eat in Blu , and also make a daily reservation in the MDR's " Select Dining " for later that evening .

However, you might be too full to order 3 shrimp cocktails , 2 main courses and 4 deserts after the 4th night. Enjoy .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stockjock said:

We have found we have more heartburn when we eat off the MDR menu than off the Blu menu. 😂😂