Majestic Princess Dec. 18, 2021 sailing

Me by the Sea

This was a fun little cruise.  Pictures of the ship do not do it justice. The Atrium is breathtakingly beautiful! 

Embarkation was super fast. Within a half hour of getting out of the car, I was onboard the ship.  Crew members welcome you as you enter the ship, which is super nice.  From there you can find your way to your cabin, or stop for a bite of lunch. I booked a mini-suite. 

The cabin measured:

8’ wide by 20’ long (from the closet wall to the balcony door.)

The bathroom measured 5’x5’. The tub was a little over 1’ deep.

The balcony was an angled one and was 8’ wide by 4’ deep at the narrowest point to 7’ deep at the widest point.  

The closet entrance was 2’ wide and the hanging rod was 5’ long.

As a real Christmas lover, I decorated the cabin for the holiday.  The cabin door sign was a hit with others onboard.

The food was hit and miss. Best breakfast was at the buffet (after the first few days.) Best lunch was at Alfredos and best dinner was in the main dining room.  The first night, I tried the buffet and it left a lot to be desired. Gave up after a couple of bites.  (It did improve as the cruise went on.)

Room service  pizza was small (8”) but tasted ok. The room service sandwich I ordered was more mayonnaise than anything else. One bite and I was done.  The main dining room portions were small, so you needed to start with a hot soup, or hold up the table while you asked for a second helping. The surf and turf was a small (~2 oz) piece of beef with 2 pieces of shrimp and one piece of broccoli, one slice of carrot, a few potatoes cubes and squash pieces.  Overall the scale told the tale. I lost 3 pounds on a 4 night cruise - a cruising first for me. 

Entertainment was very good and the costumes were spectacular. The entertainers are very good and the shows are excellent.  There is usually a musician in the Atrium and it is a lovely way to enjoy your beverage of choice and take a break from other activities.

3F48D3F9-E4FB-40DE-8A69-80800678C797.jpeg

E2B3726B-EC5F-4748-9CF1-CBE4DF4E7BC3.jpeg

1F69D24E-014C-4595-95DF-72E6E1E22728.jpeg

AC66F3B7-2212-49A3-9A32-DF44B0EE0258.jpeg

4426983C-462E-48B3-8D6A-DF94A9950D42.jpeg

1F33E39F-3456-481C-B794-42463E245EEE.jpeg

40535C7A-BD3E-4212-B805-D02133F3695A.jpeg

• Like 3

Past few cruises, we bought a plastic tablecloth & magnetic clips from Dollar Tree.

Used this for the Closet area outside the bathroom, to work as a dressing area.

Works out great.  (also since we were in minisuite, the Light auto comes on, which

isn't a great idea when youre trying to use the bathroom in the middle of the night)

Anyway, we just upgraded to a Black plastic tablecloth to use for next cruise.

Hoping this darkens the area better, so your spouse still sleeping, isn't woken

up by the bright light turning on....

We asked your cabin attendant to have a piece of duck tape put over the sensor on the light in the closet outside the bathroom door - that way it would not come on in the middle of the night if we got up.

we also placed out shoes under the night stands to keep the light from shining so bright if you got up - I liked the idea of the light, but it is much too bright,. (it is a sensor light too)

We found the food in the MDR fine.  Our waiter brought my husband more shrimp on one dinner and we ordered the Beef Wellington and a lobster tail for another (two meals).  I don't like a lot of veggies, so I asked for cooked carrots I each meal and no problem.

We were constantly told that if we didn't like something, they would bring up something else.

• Like 2

So group pic of people sitting elbow to elbow with no masks?

Was covid invited to the party?  All it takes is one omicron infected person and you put the entire cruise in danger of disruption all for the sake of a photo?

No thanks.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

We asked your cabin attendant to have a piece of duck tape put over the sensor on the light in the closet outside the bathroom door - that way it would not come on in the middle of the night if we got up.

we also placed out shoes under the night stands to keep the light from shining so bright if you got up - I liked the idea of the light, but it is much too bright,. (it is a sensor light too)

We found the food in the MDR fine.  Our waiter brought my husband more shrimp on one dinner and we ordered the Beef Wellington and a lobster tail for another (two meals).  I don't like a lot of veggies, so I asked for cooked carrots I each meal and no problem.

We were constantly told that if we didn't like something, they would bring up something else.

Ok I will be on the Majestic for the first time in May,  help me understand how the lights are working. I am an early riser. husband is not. On Enchanted, if I turned on the light in the closet area so I could dress it also turned on the bedroom lights! I could not figure out a way around it and I dont recall having that problem on the older ships like Coral and Star. 

3 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Ok I will be on the Majestic for the first time in May,  help me understand how the lights are working. I am an early riser. husband is not. On Enchanted, if I turned on the light in the closet area so I could dress it also turned on the bedroom lights! I could not figure out a way around it and I dont recall having that problem on the older ships like Coral and Star. 

We were on the Majestic Dec 11-18 in B735. A couple days into the cruise, we got a note saying that the ship's maintenance wanted to have access to install the safety lights next to our bed, at the bottom of the night stands. They are motion activated. 10 minutes into the night the light came on. I use a cpap and the hose set off the sensor. I started putting a pillow in front of the motion sensor for the rest of the cruise. Maybe more thought should have been put into those lights. 😄

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LarryL said:

We were on the Majestic Dec 11-18 in B735. A couple days into the cruise, we got a note saying that the ship's maintenance wanted to have access to install the safety lights next to our bed, at the bottom of the night stands. They are motion activated. 10 minutes into the night the light came on. I use a cpap and the hose set off the sensor. I started putting a pillow in front of the motion sensor for the rest of the cruise. Maybe more thought should have been put into those lights. 😄

I thought the one in the dressing area was a tad too bright, but the ones under the nightstands and fridge were perfect for me. They didn't last as long as the dressing area one and were not obtrusive to me at all!  My bed at home has lights under it but uses a switch on the remote control to turn on and off for the same effect when getting up to use the facilities

Somehow in all my pre-cruise research, I never heard about the motion sensor lights.  The one in the closet area is way too bright.  We will bring our own duct tape on the next cruise to block it.  We put the decorative pillows in front of the nightstands to block those.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, macusr said:

Somehow in all my pre-cruise research, I never heard about the motion sensor lights.  The one in the closet area is way too bright.  We will bring our own duct tape on the next cruise to block it.  We put the decorative pillows in front of the nightstands to block those.

I have never seen these motion sensor lights on a cruise ship??  Interesting....

1 minute ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I have never seen these motion sensor lights on a cruise ship??  Interesting....

Yeah we'd never seen them either, including on any of the Royal class sister ships so it threw us for a loop.

51 minutes ago, macusr said:

They have them on the Ruby too.  Use the same duct tape to cover the sensors on the nightstands too.  No need to use pillows.  We were on the Ruby before the covid pause and the tape worked great. We pulled it off disembarkation morning,  

3 hours ago, macusr said:

When the supervisor came to place duct tape over the light, he said that the motion light had just been installed for safety. However, he admitted that they were receiving a lot of complaints about it being to bright and the fact that it was easily triggered during the night by things such as the coat hangers moving in the closet.

• Like 1

I had my own duct tape, but didn't want to damage anything, so asked the attendant to take care of it.  A large bandage  would work too.

The ones under the desk in the mini suite and under the night stands are very bright, but they stay on for about 7 seconds.  The one in the closet area lights up the whole cabin.

We were just on the Majestic as the second Alaska sailing when they restarted...I don't recall anything like a motion sensor light.  I would have definitely seen them because I am a very light sleeper and generally get up at least once during the night.  How new are they?

20 hours ago, jkrislc said:

When the supervisor came to place duct tape over the light, he said that the motion light had just been installed for safety. However, he admitted that they were receiving a lot of complaints about it being to bright and the fact that it was easily triggered during the night by things such as the coat hangers moving in the closet.

Yeah not a fan of this new "safety" item.  Lights are ridiculously bright. 

• Like 1