Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

4 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Thank you to all who are contributing to this thread. Gary, I agree with the person on your blog who said "I don't know what you did in a previous life, but you are a great writer." I would love to know.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. For the record, I am a retired IT manager who hated writing. Perhaps hated isn't a strong enough word. Since retirement, I have become a writer and write for an online gadget review website, www.the-gadgeteer.com. who'd of thunk it? 😀

Since I can't do any of that while on a five month cruise, and because I have the memory of a goldfish, I blog about our travels.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, millybess said:

Very nice photos!  We spent several days in Venice travelling independently a few years ago and we had to be up at 5am to get photos without hoards of tourists from the cruise ships. Enjoy!  

Our guide did talk about high season with five or more big ships in daily bringing 25,000 tourists.

5 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 83/152 - Venice (Fusina), Italy - McKayla Maroney is not impressed and neither are we

Your fight against Covid restrictions is duly noted. As we have learned throughout the cruise, other countries were impacted by the virus and took measures to protect citizens and visitors. Contrary to what you heard at home, Covid is not a hoax and masks, social distancing, and vaccines work. As for Venice, it is beautiful. The buildings, palaces snd canals are amazing. The Covid restrictions are clouding your eye sight. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ldpetrillo said:

Your fight against Covid restrictions is duly noted. As we have learned throughout the cruise, other countries were impacted by the virus and took measures to protect citizens and visitors. Contrary to what you heard at home, Covid is not a hoax and masks, social distancing, and vaccines work. As for Venice, it is beautiful. The buildings, palaces snd canals are amazing. The Covid restrictions are clouding your eye sight. 

We will agree to disagree on this. Other ports, in my opinion, have been much more attractive, and still others have been less.

As for restrictions, my point is that their current ones don't make sense. I'm not suggesting that COVID isn't real, but if other travelers can roam mask-free without restriction, how does restricting 500 documented COVID-free vaxxed and mostly boosted passengers  who are tested daily make sense?

• Like 4

Such a shame that you were denied one of the many joys of Venice ie getting lost !  The weather does play a part also.  Venice in warm sunshine is fantastic.  The wonderful free churches, the music, the architecture, the art.  Hopefully you will return one day and really enjoy this special place.

We are there in April so hopefully restrictions will be over but we will be in Marghera port on Azamara.  Previously they docked in San Basilio so you could walk into Venice easily.  Of course I do understand banning the cruise ships entry into Guidecca but both Fusina and Marghera are such an ugly start to a beautiful city.

• Like 2

It's a shame your visit to Venice was impacted by weather and their Covid restrictions.  We were there many years ago in early September and spent 4 days in the city.  It is a beautiful and fascinating city under different circumstances.  I do agree with their decision to make cruise ships dock a significant distance from the city.  Venice is trying to preserve their unique architecture and in fact the very existence of the city at all with the rising sea levels and regular flooding they are experiencing.  The large ships docking near the city itself aggravate the problems.

11 hours ago, millybess said:

Very nice photos!  We spent several days in Venice travelling independently a few years ago and we had to be up at 5am to get photos without hoards of tourists from the cruise ships. Enjoy!  

LOL.  Some friends of ours said the same thing about being there years back pre covid.  They went at 5 am because during the day it was wall to wall crowds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

We will agree to disagree on this. Other ports, in my opinion, have been much more attractive, and still others have been less.

As for restrictions, my point is that their current ones don't make sense. I'm not suggesting that COVID isn't real, but if other travelers can roam mask-free without restriction, how does restricting 500 documented COVID-free vaxxed and mostly boosted passengers  who are tested daily make sense?

Their country (and city), their rules. As you said in another comment, don't fret about it.

2 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Their country (and city), their rules. As you said in another comment, don't fret about it.

Not fretting at all about it.  Simply stating - their country, their rules, we don't want to go back now that we've experienced their country and their rules.  No fretting.  We are hopeful that when this cruise goes to Sicily, Naples, & Rome 4/24-4/26 that some of the restrictions will be relaxed so everyone can have a more enjoyable time.  Hopeful. Not fretting.  Fretting doesn't accomplish anything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ldpetrillo said:

As for Venice, it is beautiful. The buildings, palaces and canals are amazing.

Venice is indeed an amazing place. For that matter, the entire country of Italy is a treat for travelers. We've been to Milan, Lake Como, Tuscany, the Cinque Terre, and Rome, all on our own. Next year we hope to visit the Amalfi Coast and Sicily. (P.S. Any prospective traveler should first watch Stanley Tucci's "Searching for Italy" series -- especially if you love Italian food!) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Venice is indeed an amazing place. For that matter, the entire country of Italy is a treat for travelers. We've been to Milan, Lake Como, Tuscany, the Cinque Terre, and Rome, all on our own. Next year we hope to visit the Amalfi Coast and Sicily. (P.S. Any prospective traveler should first watch Stanley Tucci's "Searching for Italy" series -- especially if you love Italian food!) 

That’s a great series!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SJD117 said:

I think cruising into Venice with the new rules is a mistake. It was beautiful to cruise in when the ship sailed right past St Marks. But we’ve also taken the train into Venice and stayed for 5 days just roaming and exploring. That is definitely the way to experience Venice now. By the way I applaud Venice for restricting cruise ships because it was detrimental to the city’s future. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Australia08 said:

I think cruising into Venice with the new rules is a mistake. It was beautiful to cruise in when the ship sailed right past St Marks. But we’ve also taken the train into Venice and stayed for 5 days just roaming and exploring. That is definitely the way to experience Venice now. By the way I applaud Venice for restricting cruise ships because it was detrimental to the city’s future. 

You beat me to the train.  Also the beautiful water taxi from the airport is movie set perfect.  Cruise ships spending a day in Venice miss the most of it.  Not to mention the underwater motion and suction caused by any large ship are killing the foundations (sketchy as they already are) under Venice.  Lots of great places for cruise ships to go but Venice is putting 10lb of sugar in a 5lb bag....🍸

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

You beat me to the train.  Also the beautiful water taxi from the airport is movie set perfect.  Cruise ships spending a day in Venice miss the most of it.  Not to mention the underwater motion and suction caused by any large ship are killing the foundations (sketchy as they already are) under Venice.  Lots of great places for cruise ships to go but Venice is putting 10lb of sugar in a 5lb bag....🍸

Good to know there's a water taxi from the airport! We fly to Venice next April for two days on our own before we board the ship to Athens. A water taxi will be the perfect way to start the trip.

4 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Good to know there's a water taxi from the airport! We fly to Venice next April for two days on our own before we board the ship to Athens. A water taxi will be the perfect way to start the trip.

It truly is magnificent.  I believe you can Google the water taxi location.  It is a bit of a walk through the airport with the bags but darn well worth it.  I have taken the Vaporetto many times but refuse to crowd onboard with a bunch of luggage.  Just rude to the locals.  Not even sure if the Vap goes to the airport.  The water taxi can take you right to your hotel or just about anywhere else you want to go.  Beautiful mahogany (fast) boats.🍸

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

But we’ve also taken the train into Venice and stayed for 5 days just roaming and exploring. That is definitely the way to experience Venice now.

That's how we arrived in Venice in 1996 -- on the train from Lake Como. Next year we'll fly in to the airport. We'll take a water taxi from there per Jim's suggestion.

• Like 1

Amazing pictures of Venice and also the Green Food Group onboard.  The "security" does seem a bit directed as you say.  Had you arrived packed in a train you would have been free to do whatever you wish. Weird.....

• Like 2