So Many Cruise Ships are Yellow Status

CalLuvsCrusingToo

1 hour ago, luv2cruise99 said:

My question is how do these onboard Covid cases get discovered since most vaccinated Omicron patients are asymptomatic or have only very mild symptoms?  What prompts the ship's personnel to test someone once onboard?

15% of the crew has to be tested daily. So, crew ends up being tested around every 4-6 days or so.  

And back to back guests have to be tested aboard for turnaround day. So, some caught there .

And not everyone is symptom free, nor is everyone down with the omicron variant although it is the current super spreader..  the two positives I know of that tested earlier in the cruise had reported to medical cuz they didn't feel well. We were contacted in both cases as we'd been identified through contact tracing as a contact in proximity (nightclub).  Not surprising we popped positive after all, along with at least 4 other B2Bers who also frequented the nightclub...

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@reedprincessThank you for a very comprehensive description of b2b and covid results.  I am sorry you had to leave the ship.  What happened to you after that?  Did you need to stay in Fort Lauderdale?

We were offered the company quarantine hotel or they'd cover expenses for  hotel for us to quarantine ourselves. Our friend who works aboard strongly encouraged us to book ourselves somewhere and send her the bill so they could get as much done before we left the ship rather than deal with corporate afterwards.  

As we have ongoing travel plans 9 days from now anyways , we stayed close by in Ft Lauderdale. We'll complete our 5 days quarantine, then test again and make further decisions based on that . I did talk with the hotel first, told them we were positive but asymptomatic.. they gave the go ahead. They'll deliver any food deliveries to outside our door so we don't have to come down and get them, etc. We have extra towels, and so forth - and have a one room suite with a full kitchen - so we had groceries delivered and had a lovely dinner tonight, albeit not the great service from Albert and Bryan in Club Class, lol!  And tonight would have been Lobster Thermidor for the extra CC dish, darn it!! 

Safe travels all... And be prepared for hiccups.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, luv2cruise99 said:

My question is how do these onboard Covid cases get discovered since most vaccinated Omicron patients are asymptomatic or have only very mild symptoms?  What prompts the ship's personnel to test someone once onboard?

I believe the OP said that the cases "found" were amongst the b2b cruisers (311 passengers).  That does not mean that the passengers that left the ship after the first cruise tested positive/negative.  

I test 3-5 days after any traveling.  I hope those that were on the first leg went home and tested too.

4 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Also, the CDC and others are thinking that the virus is mostly contagious around a 5 day window IF one has symptoms.  So, now, it appears like if one doesn't have symptoms, the odds of infecting others are fairly low.  That light at the end of the tunnel may be getting brighter.. and it won't be a train's light.

That is not the conclusion I have. To me it means they do not know when the symptomless are contagious and when or when not they can infect others.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:01 PM, HappyInVan said:

Not just Princess. Pretty grim at RCI, and they have had big outbreaks!

Is it time for CDC to step in?

It's a shame because before Omicron things were pretty good with cruising, we sailed on 11/28 and again on 12/19 on the Caribbean Princess but wouldn't take a cruise now. 

We are booked for June 12 and hope things settle down with Covid, most likely there will be another booster on the horizon, hopefully something that protects us from the Omicron strain.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Exactly, it helps to have the facts right.

BTW, have you guys noticed. The CDC list is now solid yellow. The only greens are 'crew only'. Once the reds appear, the jig is up for some cruise lines.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Fcrew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

Red = "additional public health precautions, such as returning to port immediately or delaying the next voyage" . . . for that one ship presumably, as the color codes are per individual ship.

39 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Exactly, it helps to have the facts right.

BTW, have you guys noticed. The CDC list is now solid yellow. The only greens are 'crew only'. Once the reds appear, the jig is up for some cruise lines.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Fcrew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

Are you hoping that things go red?  I find it a bit encouraging to see yellow with many stating:

"CDC has investigated and ship remains under observation."

So the CDC isn't taking additional action towards those ships.  Granted, things can change, but seeing how few cases are detected on the ship vs what we're seeing in the US seems pretty positive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Things turned quickly.

It was mostly Green a couple weeks ago, when we were onboard, and Green the following week.

Was kinda shocked to see so many Yellow status on ships now, across the board. 

And I don't know if you realized it but there is an orange status between green and yellow.

(And I know that orange seems more like it should be between yellow and red, not green and yellow but that's where they put it)

When I checked earlier this week lots of orange and now all of those are yellow.

Cruise Ship Color Status Key
Green No reported cases of COVID-19 or CLI
Orange Reported cases of COVID-19 are below the threshold for CDC investigation
Yellow Reported cases of COVID-19 have met the threshold for CDC investigation
Red Reported cases of COVID-19 are at or above the threshold for CDC investigation. Additional public health measures are in place
Gray CDC has not reviewed or confirmed the cruise ship’s health and safety protocols
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, caribill said:

If understand this correctly, the NFL is saying not to test the people most likely to have a current case of Covid (and thus most likely to spread it to others).

No, the cruise lines should not follow what the NFL is doing.

Actually, in my opinion, the cruise lines should provide free or low cost embarkation day testing for 100% of the passengers. This is the only way to minimize the number of Covid cases on board.

Agreed!  And it’s getting very difficult to find an appointment in some areas due to high transmission rates.  And the

BinaxNOW is not working for those who have updated their iphones and ipads to the latest IOS 15.2.  

On 12/29/2021 at 11:12 PM, reedprincess said:

15% of the crew has to be tested daily. So, crew ends up being tested around every 4-6 days or so.  

And back to back guests have to be tested aboard for turnaround day. So, some caught there .

And not everyone is symptom free, nor is everyone down with the omicron variant although it is the current super spreader..  the two positives I know of that tested earlier in the cruise had reported to medical cuz they didn't feel well. We were contacted in both cases as we'd been identified through contact tracing as a contact in proximity (nightclub).  Not surprising we popped positive after all, along with at least 4 other B2Bers who also frequented the nightclub...

We were offered the company quarantine hotel or they'd cover expenses for  hotel for us to quarantine ourselves. Our friend who works aboard strongly encouraged us to book ourselves somewhere and send her the bill so they could get as much done before we left the ship rather than deal with corporate afterwards.  

As we have ongoing travel plans 9 days from now anyways , we stayed close by in Ft Lauderdale. We'll complete our 5 days quarantine, then test again and make further decisions based on that . I did talk with the hotel first, told them we were positive but asymptomatic.. they gave the go ahead. They'll deliver any food deliveries to outside our door so we don't have to come down and get them, etc. We have extra towels, and so forth - and have a one room suite with a full kitchen - so we had groceries delivered and had a lovely dinner tonight, albeit not the great service from Albert and Bryan in Club Class, lol!  And tonight would have been Lobster Thermidor for the extra CC dish, darn it!! 

Safe travels all... And be prepared for hiccups.  

Thank you for your posting.  Hope you are doing well.  
Did you have an option to stay on the ship and quarantine for 10 days?  
What hotel did you chose to book? 
Did you bring self tests along to test yourselves for the hotel 5 day quarantine?

Trying to plan in case it happens to us.

TIA