We canceled

maria1122

We were suppose to be leaving on the Anthem today.  Last night we were reading all  the CDC warnings and realized it was not worth taking the chance.  Guess today we will be unpacking.  Hopefully things will calm down for our January 20 cruise.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, maria1122 said:

We were suppose to be leaving on the Anthem today.  Last night we were reading all  the CDC warnings and realized it was not worth taking the chance.  Guess today we will be unpacking.  Hopefully things will calm down for our January 20 cruise.

You have to do what you feel is best for you.  

South Africa is reporting that their spike in Omicron peaked after 4 weeks and is declining with most of the cases continuing to be relatively mild.  If that pattern follows in the US, your Jan 20th cruise should be seeing less of a scare.  but whether or not ports are open will be a different matter.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

You have to do what you feel is best for you.  

South Africa is reporting that their spike in Omicron peaked after 4 weeks and is declining with most of the cases continuing to be relatively mild.  If that pattern follows in the US, your Jan 20th cruise should be seeing less of a scare.  but whether or not ports are open will be a different matter.

Difference with South Africa and the US is far less people, so most likely it will be much longer for us then them to see cases declining.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Difference with South Africa and the US is far less people, so most likely it will be much longer for us then them to see cases declining.

True, but they seem to have better reporting and rises and declines in new cases are always relative to population for an area. 

• Like 3

3 months ago we moved 4 January/February cruises to 2023.  Had nothing to do with the CDC, fear of any "variant" or covid.  We just have no interest in cruising with masks, tracelets, port uncertainty, etc etc etc etc.  There are people happy to sit on a ship for 7 straight days and submitting to all that, but it isn't us.  

If things haven't gotten better in 2023 we'll get our refundable deposits back and move on.

• Like 8

We want to cancel, but our January 9 cruise is Princess, with a 100% cancellation fee.  Hoping they will do the right thing with the new CDC warning and offer at least a 50% FCC.  I would rather spend seven days on a ship with no port calls and no entertainment than just give them the money and stay home.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

IMO, It will take the US longer to peak and decline due to all the holiday travelers but it should calm down in a couple of weeks.

I'm surprised NYC is still doing times square celebration as well as many other cities.  

Yes, we have to live life and symptoms are mild, if any, for vaccinated but expect higher cases after NY eve celebrations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maria1122 said:

Are they giving you cash refund or fcc?

We are booked for jan 9th anthem sailing and will be closely monitoring  the sailing leaving today.

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

IMO, It will take the US longer to peak and decline due to all the holiday travelers but it should calm down in a couple of weeks.

I'm surprised NYC is still doing times square celebration as well as many other cities.  

Yes, we have to live life and symptoms are mild, if any, for vaccinated but expect higher cases after NY eve celebrations.

Time Square is only allowing 15,000 people this year compared to the usually 60,000 plus.

This year they will also be requiring masks, social distancing , plus this is an outside event, remains to be seen how they handle this and enforce those requirements though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

Time Square is only allowing 15,000 people this year compared to the usually 60,000 plus.

This year they will also be requiring masks, social distancing , plus this is an outside event, remains to be seen how they handle this and enforce those requirements though.

I heard about masks and only vaccinated allowed but how the heck will they social distance.  Guess we have to tune in to see.   We usually do watch ball drop.

Happy New Year!

• Like 2

The entire world canceled their New Year's Eve celebration except New York City. We are already spiking. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks.  If I had anything booked I would have canceled too. From what I have been reading the on board experience and missing ports would be a deal breaker.

• Like 6

Our population is not the same as South Africa, though the data coming out is so helpful *as a guide*.  Current stats models in the US put the peak at end of January-mid February.  Since our country is so large, this will ebb and flow regionally, similar to the previous waves.  

to the OP, hopefully you will feel safe enough to sail again soon! 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I've seen many predictions for around 3rd week in January to the infamous doctor and even he predicts by the end of January.  Its gotta get better with so many getting it, has to burn down. ..not burn out, but will get better. Fewer victims. 

I think it will peak late January, or February.. just a matter of if its 3rd week, end of January  ..whatever. that insinuates it will get worse before it gets better. I've been watching may prices and a lot of cabins are being booked up. I have seen posts people moving to may .. sounds about right. I was hoping prices would drop but fewer and fewer cabins left on the 4 I'm watching. People will be cruising again it seems .. maybe just not now.

Even if we dont see a peak until feb .. at some pt so few that havent gotten it, has to burn itself out. Another month or so we will know.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

The entire world canceled their New Year's Eve celebration except New York City. We are already spiking. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks.  If I had anything booked I would have canceled too. From what I have been reading the on board experience and missing ports would be a deal breaker.

Philadelphia is doing mummers parade tomorrow.  The indoor show and outdoor one.

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I heard about masks and only vaccinated allowed but how the heck will they social distance.  Guess we have to tune in to see.   We usually do watch ball drop.

Happy New Year!

Isn't outside have a reduced distance like 3ft or something like that, but like you said still how is that going to happen?

We will be cancelling our mid-January Celebrity cruise. Just waiting until the last minute in case Celebrity starts to offer full refunds like Carnival is doing. That and getting tested in case we're asymptomatic but positive, in which case Celebrity will also do a full refund.

• Like 1