Onboard Riviera Jan. 4

Nymich

42 minutes ago, ORV said:

Yeah, that O Club wine is top shelf. 

They do have good wines onboard, it's just none of them are in a drink package or by the glass. You have to pay the bottle price. 

Which is why, for the life of me, I don't understand all the comments about the OLife OBC being the worst option. We bring our own on board for in cabin, and purchase bottles at dinner at list price. That, combined with using OBC for La Reserve works for us. Since we know we're going to use the OBC, it's always been the best option.

13 minutes ago, mcgilldj said:

Have you heard where we are going?   We have not received an updated itinerary.

Not yet.  I expect we get an email very soon.....perhaps within minutes.  For this cruise we got it the day before at 4:04pm et

3 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

Which is why, for the life of me, I don't understand all the comments about the OLife OBC being the worst option. We bring our own on board for in cabin, and purchase bottles at dinner at list price. That, combined with using OBC for La Reserve works for us. Since we know we're going to use the OBC, it's always been the best option.

Could you explain how you see Olife OBC option as better than Cruise Only fare?  I’ve read plenty of options going the other way, so would like to know what benefit you see. 

3 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Not yet.  I expect we get an email very soon.....perhaps within minutes.  For this cruise we got it the day before at 4:04pm et

Thank you for all your help.  We will see you soon!

8 minutes ago, mcgilldj said:

Thank you for all your help.  We will see you soon!

You're Welcome.  On the plus side if we don't get an email that might mean changes could be minor.

We got the email because it was a totally revamped schedule which I posted many pages ago lol

Edited by Nymich

1 hour ago, jazznruby said:

Also, doesn't O have a "premium" wine list that's not published that you ask for? Is it the O Club list?

There is another full wine list, with choices that do not appear on the list we've asked for at, say, Jacques?

They don't routinely offer this list to passengers who ask for the wine list?

RM

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Could you explain how you see Olife OBC option as better than Cruise Only fare?  I’ve read plenty of options going the other way, so would like to know what benefit you see. 

I'll try. First of all, I think it's so subjective, depending primarily on the itinerary and whether you want to go "a la carte" or in our case, do the package with air and OBC. We like transAtlantics and every time I've checked DIY air, it's waaay higher (even with a couple of deviations) than booking with O. Regarding OBC specifically, as I said, we know we're going to use the OBC...for drinks/wine, La Reserve, shopping, whatever. It eliminates "sticker shock" at the end of the cruise.

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

There is another full wine list, with choices that do not appear on the list we've asked for at, say, Jacques?

RM

This page has all of the wine menus for the various specialty restaurants:  https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/cuisine/  I don't know if those are different selections from the main dining room.

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

RM

Yes. I believe it's the O Club list which you do have to ask for. Much higher end wines.

For the 1/14 Cruise..  Please don't hold me to this as it could and probably will change.  Keep an eye on email.

From the Reception Desk "the only change at this time is we are not going to San Juan." 

I have no other info.....yet

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pilgrimage said:

This page has all of the wine menus for the various specialty restaurants:  https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/cuisine/  I don't know if those are different selections from the main dining room.

Thank you! This is exactly what we were looking for (forgot it was on the O site). Since we buy more bottles than the occasional glass, this will do very nicely. 😜 (No need for the higher end stuff.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nymich said:

For the 1/14 Cruise..  Please don't hold me to this as it could and probably will change.  Keep an eye on email.

From the Reception Desk "the only change at this time is we are not going to San Juan." 

I have no other info.....yet

We will be really lucky if that is the only modification.

I really enjoy the actual arrival and departure from San Juan, so a little disappointed. I have been to San Juan many times including twice on a US Navy Destroyer and on our Honeymoon in 1980.

I will be shocked and pleased if this is the only change.  I cannot even imagine with so many ports.

29 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

Yes. I believe it's the O Club list which you do have to ask for. Much higher end wines.

18 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

Thank you! This is exactly what we were looking for (forgot it was on the O site). Since we buy more bottles than the occasional glass, this will do very nicely. 😜 (No need for the higher end stuff.)

“O Club wine list?” That’s news to me and I expect that it is “fake news.”

The GDR wine-by-the-glass list in that link above is the regular list available anywhere on the ship (including the specialty restaurants)

While items do change, check out the Woodbridge White Zinfandel on that list. It’s an example of the generally mediocre-at-best $10+\- wines on that list. 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

18 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

We will be really lucky if that is the only modification.

I really enjoy the actual arrival and departure from San Juan, so a little disappointed. I have been to San Juan many times including twice on a US Navy Destroyer and on our Honeymoon in 1980.

I will be shocked and pleased if this is the only change.  I cannot even imagine with so many ports

I agree I was blown away when he told me.  I was braced for anything lol

• Like 1

Just now, Aloha 1 said:

My thanks also, NyMich, for taking the time to bring us along on your first O experience. As a veteran O cruiser, I believe you have captured the experience that is Oceania. Enjoy your next run!

Why Thank you!  This is actually our 3rd O so we are still pretty new.

I assume that many of us are now in Miami.

I gotta ask: Is anyone else shocked at the lack of masks and social distancing here? Even at the Intercontinental Hotel, it’s so surreal! Only a few weeks ago, we were at the SF Intercontinental (event in the City) and the situation was a 180 degree difference. It’s also bizarre to hear many unmasked folks here answer “I’m vaccinated” or “you’ve got a mask on” when you ask them to please not join you on the elevator. 
Unbelievable - particularly when you think about how many folks in this area near the port will be boarding cruise ships in the days to come. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Why Thank you!  This is actually our 3rd O so we are still pretty new.

No one would have guessed that.  You have done an amazing job of keeping us informed and entertained. A highlight of my day to read your posts. If you have a chance could you email me- my email is in my signature.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I gotta ask: Is anyone else shocked at the lack of masks and social distancing here? Even at the Intercontinental Hotel, it’s so surreal! Only a few weeks ago, we were at the SF Intercontinental (event in the City) and the situation was a 180 degree difference. It’s also bizarre to hear many unmasked folks here answer “I’m vaccinated” or “you’ve got a mask on” when you ask them to please not join you on the elevator. 
Unbelievable - particularly when you think about how many folks in this area near the port will be boarding cruise ships in the days to come. 

Sorry, not surprised. It's FL! Not CA! (Not to get too political.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

never heard of an O club list

They do have menus of wine by the bottle   the rest that I have seen is just the regular wine by the glass menus

either one works for us

YMMV

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“O Club wine list?” That’s news to me and I expect that it is “fake news.”

The GDR wine-by-the-glass list in that link above is the regular list available anywhere on the ship (including the specialty restaurants)

While items do change, check out the Woodbridge White Zinfandel on that list. It’s an example of the generally mediocre-at-best $10+\- wines on that list. 

Check with ORV. He said it's a thing. Again, we usually purchase bottles which is why we'll be fine with that list in all venues. Assuming the sarcasm in your White Zin remark, thanks we'll pass. But a red zin you might want to try is from Hartford, and it's on the O list. Actually anything from Hartford is a big winner!

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In Dec, I was pleasantly surprised in Fort Lauderdale to see quite  a few people masks in stores

I'm from Canada and I was shocked the first time back in Sept- but not surprised.  I don't believe Florida has ever been in lockdown during the pandemic.

2 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

Check with ORV. He said it's a thing. Again, we usually purchase bottles which is why we'll be fine with that list in all venues. Assuming the sarcasm in your White Zin remark, thanks we'll pass. But a red zin you might want to try is from Hartford, and it's on the O list. Actually anything from Hartford is a big winner!

We are partial to Seghesio Zinfandels from Sonoma County. IMO, any of their estate Zs would qualify as the “gold standard” for California’s baby.

Quick story: Having failed retirement #1, I took an offer that couldn’t be refused and spent almost four years (commuting monthly) to upstate New York for a job that involved a lot of social obligations with local politicos. On one occasion at our home, we diplomatically served a mix of CA, NY and foreign wines. Once things got underway, I got a call from our area State Senator saying he’d be late. When he finally arrived, I asked what I could get him and he replied “Zinfandel.” When I brought him a glass of Old Vine Seghesio, his remark was “Oh, I thought I asked for Zinfandel.” 
If you know wine in the slightest, you know what he was expecting.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We are at the Intercontinental in Doral and same thing here. Asked at reception and was told mask wearing is optional. Same thing in the stores at the mall. We were shocked when someone not wearing a mask joined us in the elevator of the hotel.  Stupid behaviour 

Just now, amber1002 said:

We are at the Intercontinental in Doral and same thing here. Asked at reception and was told mask wearing is optional. Same thing in the stores at the mall. We were shocked when someone not wearing a mask joined us in the elevator of the hotel.  Stupid behaviour 

Fortunately, my understanding is that O Hotel personnel have been directed to constantly remind folks to “please where your mask” and “no, not as a chin strap.” 
I’m a geezer and have no qualms reminding anyone what the science says about the important of masks.