Nexus Trusted Traveler Renewal

iancal

33 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

We renewed ours as well until 2027.  However, we have just returned from a cruise, flying out of YUL to FLL.  Our Nexus card would not work at the kiosk.  We had to see a US Border Services Officer who told us it was not in fact officially renewed and could not be without an interview.  She did a bunch of stuff in the computer and told us we were good to go.  However, on our return, we could not get the card to work at the kiosk, and again had to see a Canadian customs officer.  Luckily most of them are "nice" enough to recognize we have tried, and allowed us still to use the shorter Nexus line.

I guess this is the reason that mine did not work in the kiosk.. waiting for an interview!

5 hours ago, Josie201 said:

We renewed ours as well until 2027.  However, we have just returned from a cruise, flying out of YUL to FLL.  Our Nexus card would not work at the kiosk.  We had to see a US Border Services Officer who told us it was not in fact officially renewed and could not be without an interview.  She did a bunch of stuff in the computer and told us we were good to go.  However, on our return, we could not get the card to work at the kiosk, and again had to see a Canadian customs officer.  Luckily most of them are "nice" enough to recognize we have tried, and allowed us still to use the shorter Nexus line.

Was that trying to use the expired card? Or with your new card? An interview shouldn't be required after notification of acceptance. It took almost 5 weeks to get the new card after the approval went through.

Just received my husbands renewal card in the mail a couple of days ago. It was approved on Nov 8 so it was 14 days. No interviews required for myself or my husband on these renewals. Now I have to think about my passport renewal which expires in Aug 23. Not sure when I should start that process.

1 hour ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Just received my husbands renewal card in the mail a couple of days ago. It was approved on Nov 8 so it was 14 days. No interviews required for myself or my husband on these renewals. Now I have to think about my passport renewal which expires in Aug 23. Not sure when I should start that process.

Start the passport process NOW as you can do so within one year of expiry.  Look at your travel plans and ensure that you get it done before a 6 month expiry window as some countries will not admit you if your passport is within 6 months of the expiry date.

Also note that depending on if you are doing this by mail vs. in person you will have to mail away your current passport and it will be out of your hands for a period of time.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Start the passport process NOW as you can do so within one year of expiry.  Look at your travel plans and ensure that you get it done before a 6 month expiry window as some countries will not admit you if your passport is within 6 months of the expiry date.

Also note that depending on if you are doing this by mail vs. in person you will have to mail away your current passport and it will be out of your hands for a period of time.

Upon application, whether by mail or in person, the existing passport is cancelled. The new passport will be valid for 5 / 10 years from date of issue, not from date of expiry of the old passport. So early renewal is not frugal.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, broberts said:

Upon application, whether by mail or in person, the existing passport is cancelled. The new passport will be valid for 5 / 10 years from date of issue, not from date of expiry of the old passport. So early renewal is not frugal.

Your passport is only valid within 6 months of the renewal date when travelling.  TravelExpert35's passport is only valid for travel until the end of February 2023.  That is 3 months away.  Early renewal is frugal in this case and if this member has travel booked between March and August 23.

4 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Same process for us and same message about no interview required.  As I said, US border official told us differently.  

16 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Same process for us and same message about no interview required.  As I said, US border official told us differently.  

Please post your response of your query regarding this. They are quick responding as I’ve had to ask them questions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Your passport is only valid within 6 months of the renewal date when travelling.  TravelExpert35's passport is only valid for travel until the end of February 2023.  That is 3 months away.  Early renewal is frugal in this case and if this member has travel booked between March and August 23.

I know for travel to the US you don’t need validity within 6 months. I’m looking at UK and Ireland to see what their rules are. Not sure if I’ll be travelling this winter so may wait until May. Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

For some destinations, your passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your departure from the country visited. In other cases, it's only 3 months. And for a good number of other countries, your passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your stay. (@Travelexpert35, this includes the UK and Ireland.)  Unless travelling to a destination with a 6- or perhaps even a 3-month requirement that conflicts with the expiry date of your passport, I agree with @broberts that early renewal is unnecessary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This is not accurate. There are some countries that require passports of certain types of visitors to be valid for some period of time after entry. But other visitor types and countries do not have such restrictions.

Canadians visiting the UK need a passport valid for the duration of their stay. https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor

Ireland does not indicate any passport validity requirements. Normally this means that the passport must be valid for the expected length of stay. https://www.irishimmigration.ie/at-the-border/entry-for-non-eu-non-eea-and-non-swiss-nationals/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broberts said:

This is not accurate. There are some countries that require passports of certain types of visitors to be valid for some period of time after entry. But other visitor types and countries do not have such restrictions.

Canadians visiting the UK need a passport valid for the duration of their stay. https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor

Ireland does not indicate any passport validity requirements. Normally this means that the passport must be valid for the expected length of stay. https://www.irishimmigration.ie/at-the-border/entry-for-non-eu-non-eea-and-non-swiss-nationals/

And other countries require only 3 month validity.

8 hours ago, broberts said:

Thank you.

This article explains all the questions regarding Nexus appointments at the Landsdown, ON location. As it seemed odd they were booking appointments when none others were.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The Ontario town is properly spelled Lansdowne, not, Landsdowne.

Sorry, my attempt at humour backfired. I've lived most of my life with Lansdowne Park as part of it, enjoying the Central Canada Exhibition until its demise in 2011, watching the Rough Riders as a season ticket holder, and participating in countless other activities there. I'm also aware of its history and the fact that it was named after Henry Charles Keith Petty-Fitzmaurice, 5th Marquess of Lansdowne, who served as the Governor General of Canada from 1883 to 1888. The town, on the other hand, was named after his great-grandfather, William Petty-Fitzmaurice, 1st Marquess of Lansdowne and British Prime Minister from 1782 to 1783.

Interestingly, the town was originally named Landsdowne and only later was it shortened to Lansdowne. https://lansdowneontario.ca/about-us/history/ Given the town's name change and the number of British webpages with historical references to the 1st Marquess of Landsdowne, including this British Museum page ( https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG153298 ), it begs the question as to whether the spelling of the Marquess' title itself had changed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1