Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

43 minutes ago, tfox1018 said:

Wait Princess requires a booster??

Sort of.  Transatlantic and European cruises require a shot within 270 days of embarkation so if the shot was April 2021 and you need another shot

6 hours ago, tfox1018 said:

Wait Princess requires a booster??

From the Princess Cruise Health FAQ at CruiseHealth™ FAQ: Sailings from the U.S. and Canada - Princess Cruises :

Do I need a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose?

COVID-19 vaccine boosters are strongly recommended by the U.S. CDC for everyone eligible and should be received at least seven days before embarkation.

Boosters may be required on specific voyages or by certain health authorities on the itinerary. Vaccination entry requirements can change without notice, so we recommend you keep your vaccination status up to date and ensure you are familiar with the requirements for the destinations you plan to visit.

(end quote, bold emphasis mine)

I didn't find any particular itineraries on Princess that required a booster, but I didn't look very hard - sorry. 

Curiously, CCL DOES require a booster for certain voyages and DOES list some that do.  Here's their list from Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line :

The following voyages require fully vaccinated guests who are more than 6 months past the last dose of their initial vaccine series to be boosted in order to sail.

• Carnival Pride® and Carnival Celebration Europe – All 2022 departures
  • Carnival Splendor® 23-day Carnival Journey (Transpacific) – September 6, 2022

Just noticed on my Medallion App 

“Upload proof of your Negative PCR / Antigen Test taken within 48 hours of your journey”. More confusion from Princess , on their website it says within 2 days , I am taking my Antigen test at 9am  on 05/26 for cruising on 05/28, going by this I am outside the testing window. Can anybody here confirm which is  correct , within 2 days or within 48 hours ? Thanks 🙏 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I would have recommended this as well. But....there is a thread on a Princess FB page I follow where its reported that there were not enough transport busses for passengers who booked Princess transfers to SEA Saturday and some passengers were left to find a last minute alternate option. I think I would rent a car or maybe use the Amtrack bus option. 

That would create a very nasty situation should that happen to me in September. I used these transfers many times pre covid and never had any issues 

51 minutes ago, marluvs2go said:

Everybody tests prior to Boarding then you are tested onboard and will remain in your cabin for the duration should it be positive? thanks

Everyone is not tested onboard especially for 7 day or less itineraries. Testing may occur for longer cruises or B2B. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:07 PM, PacnGoNow said:

I believe you are referring to getting the test at Walgreens?  Not over the counter.

They have 3 types.

PCR

NAAT Binax ID NOW

Rapid Antigen BinaxNOW 

Quote:

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up test with a diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

unquote

We got the rapid antigen because it’s the fastest, about 30 mins. It is acceptable by PCL.

If you check covid testing requirements on the website PCL, you should see them listed.  

In my area, Orlando, Florida, Walgreen's is only offering in select locations the PCR or the NAAT test.  The latter has results back within several hours. 

We just got off of the Emerald Princess (May 21) for the British Isles. When people were positive, they were separated from their traveling companions and quarantined on the Aloha deck for the remainder of the cruise.

This was a 12 night cruise and testing was not done during the cruise except for the required testing for flying back to USA. They did this early in the morning the day BEFORE disembarkation; one day ahead (not 24 hours).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

In my area, Orlando, Florida, Walgreen's is only offering in select locations the PCR or the NAAT test.  The latter has results back within several hours. 

Yup, everyone is shutting down testing locations.  It's going to be very difficult to find locations in the future.

11 hours ago, Munsterguy said:

“Upload proof of your Negative PCR / Antigen Test taken within 48 hours of your journey”. More confusion from Princess , on their website it says within 2 days , I am taking my Antigen test at 9am  on 05/26 for cruising on 05/28, going by this I am outside the testing window. Can anybody here confirm which is  correct , within 2 days or within 48 hours ? Thanks 🙏 

I just saw this as well. Hopefully we get some clarification soon. My test is scheduled 3 days out.

If anyone is interested, we just got off of the Discovery our of Seattle.  We used the free government issue iHealth Covid tests, and paid the $25 for proctoring on their website at ihealthlabs.com.  You do have to schedule an appointment, and do need a laptop and Chrome vs phone/tablet, but since we were using them to get onto the ship these constraints were not an issue.  Testing went smoothly and Princess accepted the results without a 2nd glance.

• Like 3

•  
20 hours ago, Munsterguy said:

I just saw this as well. Hopefully we get some clarification soon. My test is scheduled 3 days out

Rather than waiting forever on hold with Princess customer service, I changed my Antigen test time to fit the 48 hour window. First time cruising with Princess and not at all impressed.

26 minutes ago, Munsterguy said:
  •  

I just saw this as well. Hopefully we get some clarification soon. My test is scheduled 3 days out

Rather than waiting forever on hold with Princess customer service, I changed my Antigen test time to fit the 48 hour window. First time cruising with Princess and not at all impressed.

You don’t say where you are sailing from?

US, Canada, Europe?

Use the Princess website and health protocols to see exactly what you need to do as far as testing.  Also, it depends if your fully vaccinated or up to date, such as vaccinated and boosted.

The App was just updated to include this

upload of health documents and covid tests.  Don’t worry if you can’t do it, you can show it at the port.

Most important:  See what your requirements are and test when appropriate.  The verbage could be changed at any time by the countries.

14 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

You don’t say where you are sailing from?

US, Canada, Europe?

Use the Princess website and health protocols to see exactly what you need to do as far as testing.  Also, it depends if your fully vaccinated or up to date, such as vaccinated and boosted.

The App was just updated to include this

upload of health documents and covid tests.  Don’t worry if you can’t do it, you can show it at the port.

Most important:  See what your requirements are and test when appropriate.  The verbage could be changed at any time by the countries.

I looked through health protocols from US,  Canada, UK, parts of Europe,

and Australia. The only test I see measured in hours was from Sydney and Brisbane and sailing from Canada.

These updates were frequent and some just on May 19.  

So, don’t be concerned about the App, just the health protocols, in case there  are any changes.  You also don’t say when your traveling.  Very hard to answer your question.

Btw, if you can’t get through the phone to PCL, you can try your chat button on the bottom screen of the website of your mobile phone.

Edited by PacnGoNow

Just uploaded our vaccination/booster records to the MC app. Says pending approval. Wonder if anyone actually looks at them and approves them, negating the need to show the cards at embarkation. We sail out of Southampton in July; will certainly have my paper documents just in case. 

Kevin

45 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Just uploaded our vaccination/booster records to the MC app. Says pending approval. Wonder if anyone actually looks at them and approves them, negating the need to show the cards at embarkation. We sail out of Southampton in July; will certainly have my paper documents just in case. 

Kevin

Who knows?  I think that is the ultimate end result.  Maybe a while. 😂 

Kevin, were you able to upload front and back of card, or just the fronts?

Not ready to do ours yet.  Our boosters are on the back.  Wonder what happens when we get a 2nd card that shows the 3rd or 4th booster?  Hmmm

Can you upload a QR code that shows all vax and boosters?

Edited by PacnGoNow

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Who knows?  I think that is the ultimate end result.  Maybe a while. 😂 

Kevin, were you able to upload front and back of card, or just the fronts?

Not ready to do ours yet.  Our boosters are on the back.  Wonder what happens when we get a 2nd card that shows the 3rd or 4th booster?  Hmmm

Can you upload a QR code that shows all vax and boosters?

Yes, I uploaded the front and back in one JPG. I did a scan of both sides and then combined the front and back. 

I don't see any facility to upload QR codes. Sorry. 

Kevin

3 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Yes, I uploaded the front and back in one JPG. I did a scan of both sides and then combined the front and back. 

I don't see any facility to upload QR codes. Sorry. 

Kevin

Thanks!
That’s good to know.  I questioned IT about QR codes, so will post when I hear.

5 hours ago, Munsterguy said:
  •  

If you sail and disembark from the United States you are required to have either an antigen or Molecular Test 3 days, not 72 hours, prior to your sailing, with the day of sailing not counted as a day.  

5 hours ago, Munsterguy said:
  •  

It is 2-3 DAYS, not 48 or 72 hours.

3 hours ago, kml246 said:

Kevin

One problem I have noticed is that on the Medallion Site, when they ask for a picture of your vaccine card, in many cases, the third or booster vaccine was printed on the back of the card, yet, unlike ArriveCAN, there the Medallion Application will one take one photograph. 

3 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

One problem I have noticed is that on the Medallion Site, when they ask for a picture of your vaccine card, in many cases, the third or booster vaccine was printed on the back of the card, yet, unlike ArriveCAN, there the Medallion Application will one take one photograph. 

Like kml246 stated:  scan your front and back onto one pdf.  Then upload that to the app.

12 hours ago, WilsCM said:

If anyone is interested, we just got off of the Discovery our of Seattle.  We used the free government issue iHealth Covid tests, and paid the $25 for proctoring on their website at ihealthlabs.com.  You do have to schedule an appointment, and do need a laptop and Chrome vs phone/tablet, but since we were using them to get onto the ship these constraints were not an issue.  Testing went smoothly and Princess accepted the results without a 2nd glance.

Good idea. can you use an iPad? Don't see why it would have to be Chrome, unless there is an App.

ETA

I see on their site it says 'tablets and smart phones not accepted'

ETA it also says 'Sold Out' on their site. Maybe they are overloaded at present.

Edited by Tedferg

6 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Good idea. can you use an iPad? Don't see why it would have to be Chrome, unless there is an App.

ETA

I see on their site it says 'tablets and smart phones not accepted'

Correct- No Kindles or IPads... that is why we purchased the BinaxNow and used our IPhone at the hotel in London with their WiFi.

The computers on the ship (Internet Cafe) do not have cameras. So, that is a no go.