Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

13 hours ago, suzyed said:

It wouldn't hurt to test in the 2-3 day window and if you're negative, it's all a moot point.  If still positive than you will have to go the other route with the paper work.

We'll get back to you on this....when do you sail?

Our Kaiser Dr. gave me a letter confirming positive Covid and stating I am no longer contagious. He also suggested I take Antigen test. Kaiser only offers PCR and that PCR can still test positive upto 90 days.

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Our Kaiser Dr. gave me a letter confirming positive Covid and stating I am no longer contagious. He also suggested I take Antigen test. Kaiser only offers PCR and that PCR can still test positive upto 90 days.

@TedfergQuestion: Did you initially test positive with a home test or did you have the PCR test with Kaiser? I'm asking as my husband and I both tested positive with home antigen tests within the past week  and contacted our Kaiser physicians regarding the tests. I'm not certain of two things: Should  we also take PCR tests as "proof" of infection as we depart within 16 days?  What do I ask of our KP physician- did you ask for a certificate of recovery?  Thank you! 

• Like 1

IF you are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale and need to test, no appointment is needed at Lab Doc, which is very convenient to the hotels on SouthEast 17th St. They do not accept insurance, but they are fast. $49 per person. We did it on Thursday June 30, and had our results in our hands very quickly. Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Renaissance, that general area is a very short walk to them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, loveapug said:

@TedfergQuestion: Did you initially test positive with a home test or did you have the PCR test with Kaiser? I'm asking as my husband and I both tested positive with home antigen tests within the past week  and contacted our Kaiser physicians regarding the tests. I'm not certain of two things: Should  we also take PCR tests as "proof" of infection as we depart within 16 days?  What do I ask of our KP physician- did you ask for a certificate of recovery?  Thank you! 

Yes you definitely need to get a certified test done. It can be either a Rapid Antigen or a PCR and it needs to be a certified test.

• Like 2

Just took a new peek at the Covid testing requirements on the Princess site for back to back cruises. Now does the below worded statement seem confusing or what? To me it seems like they are saying that a Covid test in between cruises is only required where the last cruise is either a transocean or full Panama Canal transit of more than 10 days. Will be interesting to see if they are performing tests in between any of the Europe back to backs. 🤔

Yes, guests can book back-to-back voyages, subject to availability.

Guests ages five and above on back-to-back voyages will need to take a complimentary rapid antigen test within two days of the following voyage, where the following voyage includes a transocean voyage or full Panama Canal transit and the itinerary is 10 days or more.

9 hours ago, loveapug said:

@Tedferg: Did you initially test positive with a home test or did you have the PCR test with Kaiser? I'm asking as my husband and I both tested positive with home antigen tests within the past week  and contacted our Kaiser physicians regarding the tests. I'm not certain of two things: Should  we also take PCR tests as "proof" of infection as we depart within 16 days?  What do I ask of our KP physician- did you ask for a certificate of recovery?  Thank you! 

The date on your positive test is the proof of infection.  I would take one since that is what they are referring to with the "certificate of recovery".  It's a weird way of stating it, I think.   
At least this is all my understanding.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

They'll charge it to your medical insurance.

Some are stating that you don't qualify for a free test based on the answers you give prior to making your appointment.

4 hours ago, Expo67 said:

Just took a new peek at the Covid testing requirements on the Princess site for back to back cruises. Now does the below worded statement seem confusing or what? To me it seems like they are saying that a Covid test in between cruises is only required where the last cruise is either a transocean or full Panama Canal transit of more than 10 days. Will be interesting to see if they are performing tests in between any of the Europe back to backs. 🤔

Yes, guests can book back-to-back voyages, subject to availability.

Guests ages five and above on back-to-back voyages will need to take a complimentary rapid antigen test within two days of the following voyage, where the following voyage includes a transocean voyage or full Panama Canal transit and the itinerary is 10 days or more.

It is a strange wording. The TA’s and and full Panama canal are all more than 10 days anyway, so it doesn’t make sense.

I believe the wording originally said on voyages of 10+ days. Then, they changed to the wording above.

A PCL rep said any b2b that is 10+ days.  So, I figured if needed, they take care if it. 

21 hours ago, tomat said:

Seems like an easy option for me:

https://onpoint-testing.com

I've searched and I've seen people say they are going to use it, but I haven't seen anyone say they successfully  boarded the ship with it.  Although I don't see why not.  I have a supply of tests the US Government sent me and ONPoint would save me a couple of bucks.

19 hours ago, loveapug said:

I did take a home test. I then tried to take Kaiser PCR test to get the result 'on the record'. However, when I said I had tested positive, the online Kaiser scheduler kicked me out. I guess there is no point taking PCR if you have tested positive and have symptoms. I messaged my Dr. to ask if there was a test to show that I had had Covid and recovered. I mentioned our upcoming cruise in Sept He said he would provide me with a letter stating I was no longer contagious, and that PCR could test false positive for up to 90 days. He said the antigen test would be less likely to show positive, but that Kaiser does not do antigen test. Message your Dr. and ask for a similar letter.

I suppose I could have answered the scheduler questions differently and taken a test. Did not think of that and had the response from my Dr. His letter states I had covid on xx date and would noe be fully recovered and not contagious.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clueless2 said:

I've searched and I've seen people say they are going to use it, but I haven't seen anyone say they successfully  boarded the ship with it.  Although I don't see why not.  I have a supply of tests the US Government sent me and ONPoint would save me a couple of bucks.

Why don’t you start a topic on the Princess forum?

Has anyone tried ONpoint-testing?

Is your at home free test sealed? 

You could call them and ask questions.  

• The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.

From the Princess website.  So I'm thinking ONPoint probably won't be accepted. 

Ok, I didn't look at every post, but I did read Princess's FAQs.  Does anyone know if one is considered to be "up to date" with only one booster?  Even if one is qualified to get a 2nd booster, age, comorbidity, etc?  I ask since we'd like to due our test 3 days and not 2 days before.  And one has to be  up to date to meet the 3 day window.  We are only vaxed and single boosted.

TIA

Boarding Regal Princess later this month in Rome. Princess’ website advises that a PCR or antigen is acceptable. Am I correct in assuming that the antigen is administered upon embarkation at the port? And that it is accordingly unnecessary to get a PCR beforehand?

Also, does anyone know what would happen if you tested positive at the port? I assume they would deny you boarding, but I wonder if there is a mandated shoreside quarantine under Italian law?

4 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Ok, I didn't look at every post, but I did read Princess's FAQs.  Does anyone know if one is considered to be "up to date" with only one booster?  Even if one is qualified to get a 2nd booster, age, comorbidity, etc?  I ask since we'd like to due our test 3 days and not 2 days before.  And one has to be  up to date to meet the 3 day window.  We are only vaxed and single boosted.

TIA

Yes, you are up to date with only one booster.

I have not heard of any cruise lines requiring 2nd boosters---though they are often recommended.

At least not yet..... 

😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, suzyed said:

Some are stating that you don't qualify for a free test based on the answers you give prior to making your appointment.

Just answer Yes to the question about being concerned about Covid in your area.  You wouldn't be lying, since everyone should be concerned.  However if you're not ...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Oceania has eliminated testing requirement after Aug 1. Princess has not saidcanything yet.

Oceania, Regent Seven Seas, and Norwegian (all part of NCLH) got rid of the testing requirement at the same time.  The gotcha is that it DOES NOT YET apply to embarking cruises from the U.S., Canada, or Greece.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:25 PM, TomOnAShip said:

Boarding Regal Princess later this month in Rome. Princess’ website advises that a PCR or antigen is acceptable. Am I correct in assuming that the antigen is administered upon embarkation at the port? And that it is accordingly unnecessary to get a PCR beforehand?

Also, does anyone know what would happen if you tested positive at the port? I assume they would deny you boarding, but I wonder if there is a mandated shoreside quarantine under Italian law?

Depending on your vaccination status you can have an antigen test done up to three days prior to boarding.

With regard to testing shipside and then positive - i would point you too the health protocol FAQ on Princess site for those answers.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, Redwing55 said:

TIA

I would look at the definition of up to date - for most European sailings they don't use that term. For North America sailings they do use the term and I understand it to mean - primary series and any additonal boosters you are eligible for. Depending on where you live may change the eligibility for 2nd or third boosters. 

26 minutes ago, sidvan said:

I would look at the definition of up to date - for most European sailings they don't use that term. For North America sailings they do use the term and I understand it to mean - primary series and any additonal boosters you are eligible for. Depending on where you live may change the eligibility for 2nd or third boosters. 

Thanks, but I truly doubt if Princess will use that much granularity on it.  I'm pretty convinced that it means 1 booster and that's it.  Like, I don't think they'll say.. wait, you're over 60 so you're eligible for the 4th booster.  Or you have high BP and are diabetic and you're eligible for the 4th booster.

We'll roll the dice and go with the one booster.  My primary physician agrees to wait until fall to get another.. if then.

• Like 1

My family has a rather interesting question.

We decided to do the monitored antigen test at home which we ordered from Inspire Diagnostics which was recommended by Princess.

We are sailing this Sunday on Discovery Princess out of Seattle.

We are fully up to date in that we have received all necessary boosters and according to Princess we may have the antigen test 3 days before sailing (date of sailing is not counted).  This would mean Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. 

When we made an appointment for testing, the only available times, was very early in the morning, and we decided to schedule our test for  July 7th, 1:40 AM DST on the East Coast where we live. 

We completed the testing which was negative.

The testing proctor was in California, and she recorded the test on PST which is 3 hours behind us.  Because of this the test is listed as July 6th, not July 7th.

Will this be a problem when we show documentation at the port. 

5 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

My family has a rather interesting question.

We decided to do the monitored antigen test at home which we ordered from Inspire Diagnostics which was recommended by Princess.

We are sailing this Sunday on Discovery Princess out of Seattle.

We are fully up to date in that we have received all necessary boosters and according to Princess we may have the antigen test 3 days before sailing (date of sailing is not counted).  This would mean Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. 

When we made an appointment for testing, the only available times, was very early in the morning, and we decided to schedule our test for  July 7th, 1:40 AM DST on the East Coast where we live. 

We completed the testing which was negative.

The testing proctor was in California, and she recorded the test on PST which is 3 hours behind us.  Because of this the test is listed as July 6th, not July 7th.

Will this be a problem when we show documentation at the port. 

If it clearly states PST as the time used and you are EST, a reasonable person could assume it was correct.

HOWEVER,

I would, as a precaution, contact the company and ask that they update the certificates to show EST also. Or, a separate letter for each of you, stating time taken of test was EST. JMHO

Have a great cruise!