Has anyone have a +PCR and tried to come back to Canada?

traceytd

16 minutes ago, potsie1969 said:

If flying from Barcelona to Toronto do you need to have a PCR test to board plane or can you wait till arrival in Toronto.thanks for ant help

You need a PCR test to board the plane.

1 hour ago, potsie1969 said:

If flying from Barcelona to Toronto do you need to have a PCR test to board plane or can you wait till arrival in Toronto.thanks for ant help

Test within 72 hours of your arrival and the ArriveCan app must be completed or you may (likely) receive a $5000 fine for non-compliance.  And you're fully vaccinated?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Youtube has videos on how to complete the App.

Edited by Sprocket

6 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Test within 72 hours of your arrival and the ArriveCan app must be completed or you may (likely) receive a $5000 fine for non-compliance.  And you're fully vaccinated?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Youtube has videos on how to complete the App.

For flying it is within 72 hours of your scheduled departure time, not arrival time.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, potsie1969 said:

You will need a negative PCR test to board the flight, as well as a completed ArriveCAN submission.

@potsie1969, in order to enter Canada, you must provide proof (via the mandatory ArriveCan form/app) of either a negative PCR test or a negative RT-LAMP test, or "proof of a previous positive test result taken between 15 and 180 days ago (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days ago)." 

In practice, airlines won't let you board the plane to Canada without confirming that you've completed ArriveCan form.  So you've got to get tested in Europe and it can't be put off till you return to Canada. 

I will be on a Norwegian Western Caribbean cruise with the last post day being in Cozumel Mexico.

I was planning to do my test there using my cell service rather than the ship’s Wifi. Now someone on the Norwegian board posted that the test must be done from the last country visited to be valid, which in my case would be the US. I am way beyond frustrated with all these absurd rules.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

I will be on a Norwegian Western Caribbean cruise with the last post day being in Cozumel Mexico.

I was planning to do my test there using my cell service rather than the ship’s Wifi. Now someone on the Norwegian board posted that the test must be done from the last country visited to be valid, which in my case would be the US. I am way beyond frustrated with all these absurd rules.

The poster said "There’s been some stories about the location of the test - meaning you have to take it in the last country prior to entry." Before getting too frustrated, I'd look into the veracity of these stories.

IIRC, there is/was wording to the effect that those driving into Canada from the US had to be tested in the US, but I believe that was to put an end to people testing in Canada before heading to the US for a day or two and then returning using the in-Canada test results. 

I don't recall having seen any wording on any GOC site stating that those flying into Canada were limited to testing in the country where the flight originates, but maybe I just missed it.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The poster said "There’s been some stories about the location of the test - meaning you have to take it in the last country prior to entry." Before getting too frustrated, I'd look into the veracity of these stories.

IIRC, there is/was wording to the effect that those driving into Canada from the US had to be tested in the US, but I believe that was to put an end to people testing in Canada before heading to the US for a day or two and then returning using the in-Canada test results. 

I don't recall having seen any wording on any GOC site stating that those flying into Canada were limited to testing in the country where the flight originates, but maybe I just missed it.

There is nothing on GOC site about where the test must be taken for flying, only driving ("You must take a molecular test outside of Canada within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada.").

As you said another confusing rule to stop travel.  Again no valid reason why except to make things harder for travelers.  It seems better to me if I PCR test in Canada for a two day trip to the US.

13 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

There is nothing on GOC site about where the test must be taken for flying, only driving ("You must take a molecular test outside of Canada within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada.").

As you said another confusing rule to stop travel.  Again no valid reason why except to make things harder for travelers.  It seems better to me if I PCR test in Canada for a two day trip to the US.

If they allow you to test in Canada and show that result after a quick trip to the US, it rather defeats the purpose of testing for COVID acquired outside the country. On the other hand, a test taken in the US for the same quick trip is too early to produce any meaningful results, unless you had contracted the virus while still in Canada a number of days earlier before the trip. So maybe they should skip the pre-entry and upon-arrival tests altogether and have travellers tested 5 days post-entry, allowing for the incubation time. Or...

While I'm not sure that throwing the doors wide open and dropping all testing is the best approach, I do believe that the GOC has to rethink its current entry strategies and come up with a more rationale approach. Whether that will come with the end of the current wave remains to be seen, and may depend on what the medical experts upon whom the GOC relies forecast for the coming months. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

While I'm not sure that throwing the doors wide open and dropping all testing is the best approach, I do believe that the GOC has to rethink its current entry strategies and come up with a more rationale approach. Whether that will come with the end of the current wave remains to be seen, and may depend on what the medical experts upon whom the GOC relies forecast for the coming months.

Part of the difficulty in arriving at a better strategy is the fact that politics, public perception and actual science often conflict.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Does Norwegian no longer do testing just prior to then end of the cruise for passengers whose home country require it? I cruised to Bermuda on Norwegian Breakaway in November and we were able to have a PCR test on board the night before arriving back in NYC. It worked out perfectly. 

3 hours ago, Labber 2 said:

Does Norwegian no longer do testing just prior to then end of the cruise for passengers whose home country require it? I cruised to Bermuda on Norwegian Breakaway in November and we were able to have a PCR test on board the night before arriving back in NYC. It worked out perfectly. 

They no longer provide a free PCR test. I believe they discontinued the service in early January. We had one done on a Caribbean cruise in December. It was a nice perk while it lasted.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 11:41 AM, gmbhardy said:

We tested in Cozumel, In Dec/Nov, 2nd last day of our cruise, and tested -ve, wasnt a problem. 

23 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

They no longer provide a free PCR test. I believe they discontinued the service in early January. We had one done on a Caribbean cruise in December. It was a nice perk while it lasted.

They now test at the port of disembarkation, results within 90 minutes they say. No longer free unfortunately 

9 hours ago, Cruisingrampy said:

Could one bring their own approved test on board and do it a day or 2 before rhe cruise is over if they were flying out on the 3rd day

In theory yes - you could get the Switch Health tests ($149 + GST for Aeroplan members or $199 + GST), buy the WiFi package and do the proctored test the day before disembarkation. 

I have read of people doing these successfully when flying and one harrowing story of the border agents not accepting this as a valid result when trying to cross by land (because the lab address was in Canada and the test needs to be taken abroad). 

14 hours ago, Cruisingrampy said:

Could one bring their own approved test on board and do it a day or 2 before rhe cruise is over if they were flying out on the 3rd day

That’s what we’re doing for our cruise next month. We ordered and received the RT LAMP kits from Switch health and set up our account in their system.  once we’re inside the 72 hour window of our return flight, we’ll log in, do the test and hope we’re negative.