Wifi costs on board

iflyrc5

We will be on the NS in a few weeks.  We don't have the "Have it all" promo but since we have lots of OBC and as a 5 star we have $60 of wifi credit I am trying to find out the price of the "Surf" package.  The only thing I see on the website is the premium package for $240 that is purchased before boarding but I want to use my OBC.  TIA

If I remember correctly, the only internet package that comes with a discount before boarding is the premium one.  We have purchased that before boarding and the 5* discount was refunded to us as OBC when we boarded.  As I remember correctly it was a decent discount if purchased before boarding.   We only get one premium package as I really try to unplug when traveling.  My DH keeps in touch with family and gives me that information.  LOL!!

Eurodam in Dec. out of 17 days there were 5 days without any wifi service. According to customer service technical problems or just not good service through out the ship. I was told at customer service that Holland has bad wifi service compaered to others. This was included in out pkg. was tols I would be given credit HA, HA.

Amazes me the prices haven't changed in several years. 

For cruises longer than 31 days, is it still the case that you use 31 day price and then add on the price of the additional days (e.g., for a 35 day cruise for the Surf package it would be $259.99 plus $59.99 for a total of $319.98)?

Hi,

In the past we don't usually buy an internet package (as I try to disconnect on vacation).  However, I'm about to retire and plan on cruising longer so I can see the advantage of getting wifi now.

Since the Have it All seems to be the "surf" package.  Can someone explain to me the difference between Surf and Premium?

Also, has anyone tried to upgrade from Surf to Premium?  If so, what was the additional charge.

Thanks

The surf package allows most internet activity except streaming. The Premium package allows streaming. For the most part there doesn't seem to be a speed difference.

On Rotterdam's Christmas / New Years 11 day cruise the price to upgrade on the first full day was $50, a couple of days later it was $40

41 minutes ago, zelker said:

For cruises longer than 31 days, is it still the case that you use 31 day price and then add on the price of the additional days (e.g., for a 35 day cruise for the Surf package it would be $259.99 plus $59.99 for a total of $319.98)?

I would have expected the daily charge for 4 extra days to be $8.39, not $15 (I.e. additional  charge of $33.56).

1 hour ago, Jim9310 said:

I would have expected the daily charge for 4 extra days to be $8.39, not $15 (I.e. additional  charge of $33.56).

You'd think, right?  But I'm pretty sure the clock starts over and the shorter the time you pay for, the more per day it costs.  It's been a few years since we'd sailed longer this long so I can't remember what they did.  Maybe when we board and add wi-fi on the first day, it will allow us to buy it for the full 35 days at the lower per day rate based on 31 days.  Hope to find out at the end of February! 

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

I seem to remember buying 31 days then the 9 day package on Noordam

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilv4cruising said:

Hi,

In the past we don't usually buy an internet package (as I try to disconnect on vacation).  However, I'm about to retire and plan on cruising longer so I can see the advantage of getting wifi now.

Since the Have it All seems to be the "surf" package.  Can someone explain to me the difference between Surf and Premium?

Also, has anyone tried to upgrade from Surf to Premium?  If so, what was the additional charge.

Thanks

On my Nieuw Amsterdam cruise last week, I updated from the Surf to the Premium package for my last three days and noticed a doubling of speed as measured with opening CC and my website.  This may be different on other ships but I liked the reduction of my posting frustration with the upgrade.  FWIW passengers in the Deck 9 hot tub were live streaming using an IPad.  The IPad was passed from person to person to wave and talk with family back home. 

On another internet note, I tried adding a second device for my last two cruise days at a cost of $10/day but was limited to adding three more devices for the same price.  Three for the price of one was a good deal and not having to disconnect.connect devices was a nice touch.  I cannot confirm that this is the same on other ships.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, esther e said:

If I want to send photos do I need the streaming?

If you send by email, there should not be a problem.  Posting photos to a website with the Surf package was a loooong process for me on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ilv4cruising said:

Hi,

Thanks

Sorry I realize my question about upgrading wasn't clear :(.  I meant has anyone received the Surf package on the Have it All promo and then upgraded to Premium.  If so, what was the charge?  Thanks,

15 hours ago, Cyberhwk said:

Does this package include multiple devices or only one?

One device at a time.  It is possible to use a second device but not at the same time.  You must log off the first device and then log on with second device.  DW and I have shared one package reasonably successfully.  Depends on individual requirements and browsing habits.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Another question...sorry.  We need to schedule a covid test for our next cruise while on the Nieuw Stadendam.  Can I purchase just one day of internet for that?  Thanks

Is a B2B cruise on HAL? HAL has been providing tests for those situations.