SILVER EXPLORER SOLD TO NEW FRENCH COMPANY EXPLORIS

SummmerInKefalonia

Oh No  .... not the Explorer !!  We love that little ship, it was our first  Silverseas cruise  back in August 2010,  got us hooked on  expedition sailing,  and since then   we have sailed  144 days on the Explorer.

Had a lot of great times, met heaps of  great people,   fantastic experiences and  memories !!

• Like 3

Rachel; here is what was said about 2023 in the release:   Renamed Silver Explorer in late April 2011.. It was announced in January 2022 that the ship was sold to the newly founded french company Exploris. It will remain chartered to Silversea until late 2023..

We have Lautoka to Cairenes booked in April 2023.

Lots of quirky thing about the ship made it the best.  Friendliest crew.  Accessible Head Chef.

The one passenger (with winter gear 2 pass if you squeeze) elevator is unique.

The negative now -- is what if any maintenance will be done to the ship other than safety related.

• Like 1

My hunch is that the Explorer will do the Kimberleys pretty much all-year-round, with occasional forays up to PNG and Malaku.  That's what has happened to Noble Caledonia's Caledonian Sky.  The Kimberleys is a very popular and profitable area.  

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

My hunch is that the Explorer will do the Kimberleys pretty much all-year-round, with occasional forays up to PNG and Malaku.  That's what has happened to Noble Caledonia's Caledonian Sky.  The Kimberleys is a very popular and profitable area.  

Fletcher the  ships like True North etc in the Kimberley cruises shut down over cyclone season late October to  March and sail down south. Some go to the East coast and some shut down for a couple of months and have a break so I doubtful Explorer will be mainly year round. They may also do like True North and go to the southern and eastern coast.

Yes a great ship and a very stable one at that. Went through 3 Force 12 gales and 1 typhoon on her and only once had spilled glass of red wine. A few broken plates around the dining room though.

I still can hear the Guten Morgen from Stefan early each morning.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drron29 said:

Yes a great ship and a very stable one at that. Went through 3 Force 12 gales and 1 typhoon on her and only once had spilled glass of red wine. A few broken plates around the dining room though.

I still can hear the Guten Morgen from Stefan early each morning.

yes, we were there with you.  I think one night it was just you guys and George and me in the dining room.  Great memories.  I guess you were not on the time that the entire lunch buffet went flying to the floor.  It was pretty amazing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 12:55 AM, rojaan19 said:

Oh No  .... not the Explorer !!  We love that little ship, it was our first  Silverseas cruise  back in August 2010,  got us hooked on  expedition sailing,  and since then   we have sailed  144 days on the Explorer.

Had a lot of great times, met heaps of  great people,   fantastic experiences and  memories !!

I know (from another board) that you are Silversea experts so know this will be sad for you. Funny, we boarded Explorer (then the PA2) the day you disembarked in Tromso in 2010 😉. We haven't done much Silversea since although have been on Muse. Had a booking for a short AU cruise next week on her but sadly gone by the board. L_t_L

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 3

On 1/15/2022 at 4:00 AM, PaulMCO said:

Lots of quirky thing about the ship made it the best.  Friendliest crew.  Accessible Head Chef.

The one passenger (with winter gear 2 pass if you squeeze) elevator is unique.

The negative now -- is what if any maintenance will be done to the ship other than safety related.

I can’t imagine the new owners not keeping the ship in tip top shape.  It is an investment.

Hearing these lovely comments confirms I’ve made the right choice of ship for Across the Top and the Kimberley in May 2023.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I can’t imagine the new owners not keeping the ship in tip top shape.  It is an investment.

Hearing these lovely comments confirms I’ve made the right choice of ship for Across the Top and the Kimberley in May 2023.

Was not talking about new owners.  Talking about SS.  No incentive to keep it spic and span...

Iirc, under a less predatory ownership , SS did manage to keep the Silver discoverer in quite usable condition right to the end.

I will try to have one last ride before she leaves the fleet.

6 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Was not talking about new owners.  Talking about SS.  No incentive to keep it spic and span...

SS has no incentive?  not saying you’re wrong, but how do you know that?  

Most ship sales with ownership transfers at a future date contain massive penalties should the seller fail to maintain the ship in the present condition at the time of sale before completing the transfer.  So, I would respectfully disagree SS has no incentive.  As such, I fully expect Explorer to be maintained in a similar fashion as Discoverer was before it left the fleet.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 1

I take recent examples of some Renaissance series ships that Princess and P&O/Fanthom cruises sold and were bought on a similar to be delivered in a year + (after the existing bookings were done). Condition when delivered to Azamara were fair to gross for the one going to Oceania (Sirena).

Edited by PaulMCO

The original owners of Ponant sold out in 2012 to a Container ship line so the original team still ran Ponant.

In 2015 Ponant was bought by a French company Artemis and they had the other original founder of Ponant,  Jean-Emmanuel Sauvée, as  CEO. He was replaced in March 2021 so I presume that was when both founders left Ponant. So not surprising that a new cruise line has been started.