Free Covid Home Tests - Now paid by Insurance

"Starting Saturday, private insurers must cover the cost of up to eight at-home Covid-19 tests per month, the Biden administration announced on Tuesday.

“We are requiring insurers and group health plans to make tests free for millions of Americans. This is all part of our overall strategy to ramp-up access to easy-to-use, at-home tests at no cost,” said U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra, in a statement."

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/13/health-insurers-must-cover-your-at-home-covid-test-costs-as-of-jan-15.html

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Great let's put the cost of more free test on private business. What a great idea. Insurers have already come bac, and said this may cause your premiums to go up. .. nothing is free. Someone has to pay. 

Yes -- that's quite right -- nothing is free.  It appears we're entitled to 8 insurance covered tests per month.  That's a lot of tests!  Maybe big Pharma can contribute to the cost so our premiums don't go up....wishful thinking....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BuckeyeMan said:

Is that for the proctored tested that are required to cruise?  I didn't figure it would work for those tests.  

I have read that insurance companies will reimburse up to $12 per test.  So I believe we can order the proctored tests and get reimbursed $12 per test.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes -- that's quite right -- nothing is free.  It appears we're entitled to 8 insurance covered tests per month.  That's a lot of tests!  Maybe big Pharma can contribute to the cost so our premiums don't go up....wishful thinking....

Insurance companies said because of the alzheimer's new high priced drug they already had to raise prices .. this might pressure insurance costs even more. .. though now that drug isnt working well and dropped in price. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Insurance companies said because of the alzheimer's new high priced drug they already had to raise prices .. this might pressure insurance costs even more. .. though now that drug isnt working well and dropped in price. 

I heard they cut the price in half.  If they would only do that for the CV19 tests...HA!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

That was Medicare.  And outside pressure got the price cut which then results in a proposed reduction to Medicare Part B premiums.  It was true that costs were going to be higher until the drug company cut the price, after the information got out.

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

"Starting Saturday, private insurers must cover the cost of up to eight at-home Covid-19 tests per month, the Biden administration announced on Tuesday.

“We are requiring insurers and group health plans to make tests free for millions of Americans. This is all part of our overall strategy to ramp-up access to easy-to-use, at-home tests at no cost,” said U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra, in a statement."

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/13/health-insurers-must-cover-your-at-home-covid-test-costs-as-of-jan-15.html

Well,,, the title of the thread is a bit misleading because the home tests that you need to cruise are not "free". If you go to emed and order their 6 tests, you pay $150. But your insurance company is only obligated to pay $12 per test = $72. You pay the balance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Well,,, the title of the thread is a bit misleading because the home tests that you need to cruise are not "free". If you go to emed and order their 6 tests, you pay $150. But your insurance company is only obligated to pay $12 per test = $72. You pay the balance. 

Oh okay I didn't know they were only paying $12 per test - that's good to know.  It's still better than not being reimbursed at all -- but if it means higher insurance premiums then I would rather not be reimbursed. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Btw medicare does not cover these tests unless at a lab or some on-site place.  Since Medicare doesn't cover, my supplement also doesn't cover.  Contacted them yesterday. 

Thanks for checking.  Not on Medicare yet but will be soon. Wonder if any the supplemental plans pay.

• Like 1

I purchased my 3 pack thru RC (Optum) for $99.99 in December for my Jan 2nd cruise.  Called my insurance (Aetna) who also administers my Medicare and they told me they do not pay for Covid testing for travel.  I said “hmmmmm.  Someone has been paying CVS for all my antigen testing for my last 3 cruises and my Medicare statement shows they have been paid.”  They still insisted testing for travel is not covered and any testing from home is not covered.  Being persistent, I sent the invoice, which included medical codes, to the address on the back of my medical card and lo and behold I received a check for $45.23!!!  I checked my EOB and it states that they pay a maximum of $45.23. I’ll take it even tho there were 3 test kits in the box and it was for both me and my husband.

Edited by psumother
Misspellin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, psumother said:

I purchased my 3 pack thru RC (Optum) for $99.99 in December for my Jan 2nd cruise.  Called my insurance (Aetna) who also administers my Medicare and they told me they do not pay for Covid testing for travel.  I said “hmmmmm.  Someone has been paying CVS for all my antigen testing for my last 3 cruises and my Medicare statement shows they have been paid.”  They still insisted testing for travel is not covered and any testing from home is not covered.  Being persistent, I sent the invoice, which included medical codes, to the address on the back of my medical card and lo and behold I received a check for $45.23!!!  I checked my EOB and it states that they pay a maximum of $45.23. I’ll take it even tho there were 3 test kits in the box and it was for both me and my husband.

The insurance reimbursement become law January 15th (yesterday) so many if you ask now things will be different, idk. 

There is a difference between ordering the free home tests that are available to ANYONE, and ordering, paying, and getting reimbursed by insurance.

This is the free home tests (for your own personal use, NOT supervised or proctored):

https://special.usps.com/testkits

If you have to order tests where you have to explain your insurance, or you have to be reimbursed, then you may not get them paid for.  I am covered by Medicare with Senior Advantage.  Medicare does NOT pay for UNSUPERVISED tests, but Senior Advantage coverage with Medicare "might".  So, don't buy and submit a claim if your insurance doesn't cover it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

There is a difference between ordering the free home tests that are available to ANYONE, and ordering, paying, and getting reimbursed by insurance.

This is the free home tests (for your own personal use, NOT supervised or proctored):

https://special.usps.com/testkits

If you have to order tests where you have to explain your insurance, or you have to be reimbursed, then you may not get them paid for.  I am covered by Medicare with Senior Advantage.  Medicare does NOT pay for UNSUPERVISED tests, but Senior Advantage coverage with Medicare "might".  So, don't buy and submit a claim if your insurance doesn't cover it.

Thanks so much for this information.  I just ordered 4 free tests.  I think they're good to have just in case.  

• Like 1

I am not sure what they are good for though.  I don't think they are accepted for travel.  Will they work for kids to go back to school or for people to go back to work?  Will they work to get one of the new therapies or pills?  Or will people have to go get another "approved" test for those things?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I am not sure what they are good for though.  I don't think they are accepted for travel.  Will they work for kids to go back to school or for people to go back to work?  Will they work to get one of the new therapies or pills?  Or will people have to go get another "approved" test for those things?

They "work" for my grandchildren's school.

• Like 1