Under AI, when singles pay double, what do you think happens to the gratuities

Alakegirl

Singles have to pay for two beverage packages and two internets and two sets of gratuities. Do you think there’s any chance that the state room attendant and dining room servers get two sets of gratuities? I would hate to think that the company is just eating that, but I fear that they are. Does anyone know?

As a single paying double, this question has never occurred to me.  I just went to guest relations and the staff member there didn’t seem to understand what I was asking, so I’m going to actually write a note to the hotel Director for clarification.  I would like to think that the Steward gets double, but the skeptic in me wonders🧐

I would think the entire gratuity amount would go to the steward, with a small share going to the supervisor. Afterall, the steward is still doing pretty much the same amount of work, whether one or two people are in the cabin. Same amount of deep cleaning, same amount of vacuuming, same amount of changing sheets and swapping out towels, etc.

But the reason I think this is also the case is because when we went to fill out the form to give our steward extra $$$ at the end of the cruise, they mentioned to also write the steward's name on the form; otherwise his supervisor would also get a portion of the additional funds. 

But, this is just a guess based on our experience filling out the additional gratuities form.

17 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Singles have to pay for two beverage packages and two internets and two sets of gratuities. Do you think there’s any chance that the state room attendant and dining room servers get two sets of gratuities? I would hate to think that the company is just eating that, but I fear that they are. Does anyone know?

Who gets the second drinks package? I know one regular poster who uses both WiFi packages.

Who gets the other port fees?

54 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Singles only pay one set of port fees and taxes. I do use both WiFi packages.  Their drinks are just a waste.  But now I am very curious about the gratuities so I will keep hunting down that answer.

How do you do that?  I always cruise solo and have been told many times that only one is included.  I'd be happy to use a different email and have wifi available on both my phone and tablet.

And I generally go with that philosophy  too but now I am curious.  I am trying to figure out what kind of extra tip is appropriate and it will make a difference if the steward is getting both sets of gratuities that I am paying or if they are only getting one.

As others have said, I agree that the room steward is basically doing the same amount of work..I’m sure their work varies widely by cabin, some people are very conscious about keeping their rooms neat,  others not so much. 

26 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

And I generally go with that philosophy  too but now I am curious.  I am trying to figure out what kind of extra tip is appropriate and it will make a difference if the steward is getting both sets of gratuities that I am paying or if they are only getting one.

I’m assuming there’s no way to verify, but since the business model is based on double occupancy, it seems more likely than not they’d get the full cabin’s gratuities. It’s not their “fault” there’s only one in the cabin.  

1 hour ago, twincheryl said:

How do you do that?  I always cruise solo and have been told many times that only one is included.  I'd be happy to use a different email and have wifi available on both my phone and tablet.

My last cruise (12/21), I used wifi on my phone and on my tablet with the same info without having to log out and in. My account on the app showed "2 devices."

Edited by hrhdhd

19 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

My last cruise (12/21), I used wifi on my phone and on my tablet with the same info without having to log out and in. My account on the app showed "2 devices."

I cruise solo many times and either look for a single supplement or cruise only rate.  When I do the math it just doesn't make sense to pay 2x gratuities wifi and drink package.  

The only way to make sure would to go to GR and tell them that you want to cancel/remove the gratuities if possible and tell them the reason and then make out the form in front of them for extra gratuity giving it back to them 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Based on looking at my statement for my trip next month, it’s a none issue as gratuities are only charged once per person just like taxes and port fees. Unless I’m misinterpreting the question.  Concierge cabin. 

9BD11D21-4DEA-4390-8051-9493E7685F93.jpeg

Edited by ACaparzo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ACaparzo said:

Based on looking at my statement for my trip next month, it’s a none issue as gratuities are only charged once per person just like taxes and port fees. Unless I’m misinterpreting the question.  Concierge cabin. 

Did your cruise have a single rate? 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I cruise solo many times and either look for a single supplement or cruise only rate.  When I do the math it just doesn't make sense to pay 2x gratuities wifi and drink package.  

My math is: Do I want to pay $X for a cruise. 🙂 If the amount isn't to my liking, I keep looking.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ACaparzo said:

That’s interesting. I wonder what a confirmation looks like if you’re one of the solo folks that say they’re paying double for gratuities, internet and drinks?

Hello,

Prior to the introduction of AI, I have only ever paid 1 x Grats and 1 x Port Fees. My one and only Post AI cruise was a zero single supplement special so again only paid 1 x Grats and 1 x Port Fees.

I have just done a dummy booking for April this year ex Soton and my single price is only £38 less than a couple's price. That reduction is less than either half the Grats or the port fees so is a mystery to me. I cannot see any way to decline or remove the 'AI' offer.

The Celebrity site says:

"Single adult guests making an Eligible Booking will receive the same amenities as applicable to two adult guests, but on an individual basis".

To my mind that's as clear as mud, but as I've already booked 2022 & 2023 (RCI & P&O) I won't worry about it yet.

Regards,

Cublet