How does wine work on Princess?

FlaMariner

6 hours ago, reedprincess said:

No, they won't leave the bottle for you to oiur yourself, but a fresh glass will be ready when you are.  Interesting take with the one poster's comment:  "I don't think Princess understands how Europeans drink wine", that covers a lot of generalities -

I agree with you- I think that poster was talking more about his own drinking habits rather than Europeans in general. 

I can't remember ever seeing a Frenchman,  Italian or Spaniard ever drinking an entire bottle of wine with a meal.  

• Like 2

Another great thing about the Premiere Beverage Package is that you get 25% off all bottles of wine. This works well if you want to purchase bottles not available by the glass. You are able to purchase this package (if you did not purchase Princess Plus when you booked) online by clicking on the "Onboard Reservations" tab after you log into your cruise. It is not cheap, though. $70.79 per person per day (this is much cheaper than NCL though!). Hopefully they offer wine packages onboard. Good luck and happy cruising! 

Thanks....It's a wine package for me or no wine for me...fingers crossed....we shall see.  

(Between medallion set up drama and the complicated nature of getting a bottle of wine at dinner, I may not be smart enough to cruise Princess......jury still out....looking forward to giving it a try)

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:01 PM, skynight said:

Plus fare was $40/pp/day extra. Believe it is now $43. Grats and wifi cost about $19/pp/day. That leaves $24/pp for beverages. Two drinks is indeed break even.

The PLUS price has not changed.  

Crew Incentive is minimum $14.50 per day.

Single device internet is $10/day - or $5/day with Platinum/Elite CC Member.

Total is $19.50 or $24.50, depending on above note.

Drinks $20.50 to $25.50/pp/day.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree with you- I think that poster was talking more about his own drinking habits rather than Europeans in general. 

I can't remember ever seeing a Frenchman,  Italian or Spaniard ever drinking an entire bottle of wine with a meal.  

In fact the French frown very much on those that get tipsy at lunch. When I spent time working in France it was expected that one would dilute the wine with water at lunch time.

22 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

When we go out or on holiday we have two bottles wine at dinner, a red for DH and a white for me every night, we will have the all inclusive package but I don't fancy the chances of the wine waiter keeping up with us serving by the glass??  There's roughly 6 glasses of wine in a bottle so why can't you have a bottle and get 6 drinks took off your 15 quota?? 

Hopefully 5 glasses (5 x 15ml (5 oz) = 750ml).  Otherwise, it's their ship and their rules.

22 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

But why should I buy a bottle when I can get same wine from that bottle by the glass? Doesn't make sense 🙄🤔🤔

I don't think Princess understand how Europeans drink wine and I don't think MDR waiters enjoy running round with glasses of wine alongside their other waiting duties  lots of cruise lines have done away with dedicated drinks staff in the MDR.  

WBTG is limited.  If you have seen a wine menu, only some of the inventory is offered by the glass.

Anyway, you sure manage a lot of wine in Europe if everyone does a full bottle per dinner.  My wife and I are not big drinkers and our typical is at most half the bottle together per meal, with me drinking more than her.  So, a typical bottle lasts us two dinners and maybe a bit left over, unless it was steak or roast beef for dinner and I have opened a really nice irresistible red. 🍷

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Never thought getting a decent bottle of wine at a decent price at dinner was so complicated)

11 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Our cruise is 16 days (March TA) so I'm thinking the "only offered on longer cruises" wine bottle packages will work......again, if available.

Hi.  You live in North FL and are taking a Spring TA, which means from FLL to Europe.  I presume you will drive to FLL.

How about heading to TOTAL WINE, in FLL (the one on 17th near the port), and selecting a number of bottles?  You get one no-fee bottle each from Princess taking it on board.  The idea is those are free to consume in cabin, but once opened, if take to DR for dinner, you won't be charged.  The other bottles attract a $20 per corkage fee, but you will still be $ ahead of Princess pricing for same wine labels and you can bring what you want if not liking the stuff on their list (which is much better than it used to be).  If you are not charged the corkage at boarding, they can assess in the DR, but I have found my waiter doesn't necessarily charge me for every bottle - perhaps because I have several and bringing them in every other night or so. 

I take unfinished bottles back to the cabin as we might want a drink sometime outside of dinner.  Once bottle has been opened, there is no further corkage fee.  You can also leave bottles with waiter and they bring them out to the table the next night.  Works best if you are dining at same table each night with the same waiter, but they can locate and bring your wine anywhere.  I just prefer to keep it myself.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

You are able to purchase this beverage package (if you did not purchase Princess Plus when you booked) online by clicking on the "Onboard Reservations" tab after you log into your cruise. It is not cheap, though. $70.79 per person per day (this is much cheaper than NCL though!).

This is why Princess+ pricing at booking time ($40/say/person) is such a great bargain.

Even if you did not care about the Princess+ gratuities and Internet, $40/day is significantly less than $70.79/day for the beverage package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Anyway, you sure manage a lot of wine in Europe if everyone does a full bottle per dinner.  My wife and I are not big drinkers and our typical is at most half the bottle together per meal, with me drinking more than her.

A bottle each over a meal is a lot, and, as I mentioned previously, not common in Europe unless it is a lengthy meal celebrating a special occasion. 

My wife and I will normally drink a bottle over the course of a meal - we have never been in a position where wine has been left over for the next day. 

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Hi.  You live in North FL and are taking a Spring TA, which means from FLL to Europe.  I presume you will drive to FLL.

How about heading to TOTAL WINE, in FLL (the one on 17th near the port), and selecting a number of bottles?  You get one no-fee bottle each from Princess taking it on board.  The idea is those are free to consume in cabin, but once opened, if take to DR for dinner, you won't be charged.  The other bottles attract a $20 per corkage fee, but you will still be $ ahead of Princess pricing for same wine labels and you can bring what you want if not liking the stuff on their list (which is much better than it used to be).  If you are not charged the corkage at boarding, they can assess in the DR, but I have found my waiter doesn't necessarily charge me for every bottle - perhaps because I have several and bringing them in every other night or so. 

I take unfinished bottles back to the cabin as we might want a drink sometime outside of dinner.  Once bottle has been opened, there is no further corkage fee.  You can also leave bottles with waiter and they bring them out to the table the next night.  Works best if you are dining at same table each night with the same waiter, but they can locate and bring your wine anywhere.  I just prefer to keep it myself.

Great suggestion!....We did this on HAL when they did not charge corkage......I quit doing this when we had past passenger cred and would get 25% off wine packages.

We are not picky wine people....If the "secret" wine bottle packages are offered, does anyone have an idea of cost?

(And thanks to all the very valuable intel from all you Princess pros)

14 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Thanks....It's a wine package for me or no wine for me...fingers crossed....we shall see.  

(Between medallion set up drama and the complicated nature of getting a bottle of wine at dinner, I may not be smart enough to cruise Princess......jury still out....looking forward to giving it a try)

Not stressful. Just ask the waiter if there is a package. If yes probably two price levels. If not just select your wines.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 6:12 AM, bowsertoo said:

Was on Princess Caribbean last sail before covid shut down. i had a wine package for a number of bottles of wine in a certain price range. There was two amount of bottles option. These packages were not posted anywhere. I had asked at MDR about it a waiter took me to close bar to purchase package. They would save a bottle for next meal. Had three bottles left last night ordered three for table. 

Good to know.  Will try that on a cruise sometime.  I've only seen the wine package offer on transatlantic cruises.  Never thought to just ask.  Next cruise we are doing the Best Value for the first time.   We'll bring a couple of bottles in case we want to share on DTI (formal nights) nights.  Sad Princess did away with Traditional Dining.

Unsure if Princess does the coffee card-like promo anymore.  Maybe someone will answer.  Best Value fills that gap next cruise.  We do like our specialty coffee each morning. 

28 minutes ago, skynight said:

Not stressful. Just ask the waiter if there is a package. If yes probably two price levels. If not just select your wines.

Any intel on the prices of these "secret" wine packages and also give me an idea of what a single bottle of wine costs?  Can I get wine for $25 to $30/bottle?

(trying to figure out the biz case of corkage vs buying Princess wine....and yes, not stressful but seriously contemplating a dry cruise and tossing my medallion in the Atlantic on day 1...not feeling it but trying to remain open and curious...LOL...first world problems)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Can I get wine for $25 to $30/bottle?

Very few wines available for less than $40, and you have to add 18% service charge, so basically you need to budget $50 per bottle minimum.

$25/30 is the low end. If you want wines that cost around $25 & up in your local store this is around the price point to carry on and pay the corkage.

You seem to be flustered by a medallion. It's really no different than a cruise card. Try not to confuse the medallion with the medallion app. They are different things. The medallion is just the device that identifies you just like a cruise card.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, skynight said:

You seem to be flustered by a medallion. It's really no different than a cruise card. Try not to confuse the medallion with the medallion app.

I did confuse them....we have yet to use the medallion key card thing but it's the medallion app that is a painful struggle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlaMariner said:

I did confuse them....we have yet to use the medallion key card thing but it's the medallion app that is a painful struggle.

Agree. Those not uncomfortable with apps and smart phones can be overwhelmed. Good thing is you don't have to use any of the app on board. Just carry your medallion  like you carry a cruise card. Tip. Check your accounts daily. 

8 minutes ago, skynight said:

Agree. Those not uncomfortable with apps and smart phones can be overwhelmed. Good thing is you don't have to use any of the app on board. Just carry your medallion  like you carry a cruise card. Tip. Check your accounts daily. 

Funny thing is I am all about apps and tech...got about everything apple sells......Use apps for everything (banking, stocks, grocery, emails, dog grooming, scripts, etc) and we are all about technology....streaming TV, everything electronic...etc...in our 50's.....career is in technology.....LOL

But this medallion app has thrown me for a loop.  Very frustrating.  It's not the app but for me, the lack of usability....I could go on and on....but would bore the experts on here....Not giving me a good first impression. Hoping once I get checked in the nightmare ends.  

What's saving us is the experts on here.....THANKS!

• Thanks 1

The last time I purchased the wine package (September 2018) they offered two versions, silver and gold. We got the less expensive silver package, which was $241.50 for 10 bottles priced up to $29 per bottle before the gratuity. When we ordered a bottle that cost more, they charged us just the difference in price and gratuity on that difference. But that was three and a half years ago when there were more bottles that fit that price range. They may have discontinued the silver package. We did not ask about it for our transatlantic cruise the next year since DH was not drinking much on that cruise.

• Like 1

We sail both HAL and Princess, as a wine lover I give the nod to Princess.  HAL packages and wine prices are beyond my comfortable range.  

Even with the package, for longer cruises, I prefer to schlepp a case of wine aboard and pay corkage as indicated.  A friend does the same, often the wine table is not setup and only pays corkage on wines taken to a bar or dining venue.  Of course starting in California I can find very decent wines for under $15-$20 per bottle (there's a TJ label Chard right now for $6.00 that is very good!) so I get my choices.

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Great suggestion!....We did this on HAL when they did not charge corkage......I quit doing this when we had past passenger cred and would get 25% off wine packages.

We are not picky wine people....If the "secret" wine bottle packages are offered, does anyone have an idea of cost?

(And thanks to all the very valuable intel from all you Princess pros)

You may want to jump onto one of the Grand Princess or Ruby Princess threads and ask if they can find out for you. They just boarded yesterday for a 15-day cruise to Hawaii. I am sure they'd be willing to ask for you. 

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

A bottle each over a meal is a lot, and, as I mentioned previously, not common in Europe unless it is a lengthy meal celebrating a special occasion. 

My wife and I will normally drink a bottle over the course of a meal - we have never been in a position where wine has been left over for the next day. 

We don't drink it all with the meal we take it with us when finished dining to the lounge or bar and finish it there. My bottle lasts me all night, DH might have a couple of g&t's as well. We're not alcoholics just dont like the idea of continually having to chase a waiter for a drink but go at our own pace. We do this in hotels in Europe and UK and on other cruises. It's by the by now just have to see how it goes and report back. 

• 2 months later...

I'm the OP and thought I'd come back and pass along my experience......

We were on the 16 night Princess Sky TA.

There was no wine bottle package.  We asked at dinner in the MDR and were told no but we could buy wine by the bottle. 

We decided to pass on the $47 bottles and up......and decided on a dry cruise....Not what we really expected to do but it was funny how after the first night in the MDR and we were told no wine package, no-one every came by again to ask us if we wanted anything from the bar.  That was a first. 

Everyone seems to be all about wine by the glass and getting their paper cup speciality coffee cups......neither works for us.  

We cruised "dry" and enjoyed the free coffee at the lido buffet........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1