KEEP MY CABIN CLEAN MYSELF

abby1257

4 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

I think honestly if you're still that worried about Covid, then traveling right now may not be the best option for you. 

Why do people have to be alike.  You cruise your way and I'll cruise my way. Especially the last day I put the sign on my door. I want to pack, get stuff out of my safe. 

Of course I still tip. And maybe a gift.

I dont see why people feel they need to attack. I saw a comment earlier today I think applies to cruising, public shaming. Do it how I want or I'll let you know you are wrong. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, staceyglow said:

A freshly cleaned stateroom is probably the most germ-free place on the ship.  The people who clean it wear masks and gloves and are spray sanitizer on everything. 

Where do you think the dirty stuff is? Answer: on the OUTSIDE of their gloves, which is touching all of your stuff...

• Like 2

On my recent Mardi Gras cruise, I kept the Do Not Disturb sign up from day 1... I'm a naturally clean person, and frankly don't NEED or WANT someone in my room for the most part. On about day 4 or 5, he said that he would at least like to come in and clean the bathroom (which wasn't dirty anyway), so I would need to remove the Do Not Disturb sign for a while. When I returned, there was a 3M scouring pad on the bathroom shelf, right next to all of my bathroom supplies, which I can only assume that he was groping with his filthy gloves. Long story short: I never let him back in...

• Like 1

I guess I am another “odd” one per most responses on this topic. Even before COVID struck, my preference was to not to have people enter my hotel rooms or ship cabins once I have made myself at home.  I just don’t like others going through my possessions and of course there is always the possibility that the attendant could be having a bad day and decide that my toothbrush should take a swim in the toilet.

Before COVID:

On NCL, I just left the do not disturb sign on. NCL then had someone call me every couple of days to make sure that I was alive. I would also say hello to the steward and exchange my towels whenever I needed them.

On Holland America – I used the do not disturb approach once again. The steward saw me most days so it was not an issue.

During COVID:

On Carnival (August on the Vista), I made the mistake of requesting no service from the steward due to COVID reasons.  He informed me that he was required to disinfect my cabin every day and it was mandatory that he enter. At that point I contacted the service desk and made the request to them. They told me that I would need to discuss it with the Housekeeping Manager. She came to the room and let me know it was not a problem, but it did take a bit of time to resolve.

The only quirk was that they attempted to charge me for the pool towels on my last day, so be sure to check your final bill.

I am aware that using the do not disturb sign does not mean that people are not entering the room. Who knows what happens when you are in other parts of the ship?

Just do what makes you comfortable. Besides you are giving the room steward a bit of extra free time.

• Like 3

Well if you are worried about you room, what about the public rooms and the dining areas.  Germs are everywhere and unless you are sick or rundown, just wear the mask, wash the hands, and keep distance indoors.   

I mean for now just stay home and then you will really be safe.

I swear this pandemic will make folks skiddish for a long time and perhaps in the end have lower immune systems down the road.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 1:54 PM, Crismess669 said:

I totally get this. How can you be sure the steward isn’t taking their mask off in your room? You double mask around the ship, then walk into your room and remove the mask and breathe in contaminated steward air. COVID hangs out in the air for a while. Is it likely? Who knows. I suppose they could be farting on all the pillows, too.

I'm on a cruise now and have yet to see a crew member even touch their mask. Every single one of them wears a kn95 mask over their mouth and nose at all times, indoors and outdoors.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bgcruising said:

I'm less afraid of someone being in my room unmasked when  i am not there than I am of the inconsiderate people who dont follow the rules in the public areas and elevators. 

Yes, I doubt the room steward wears his/her mask below the nose.

Guest BasicSailor
3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well if you are worried about you room, what about the public rooms and the dining areas.  Germs are everywhere and unless you are sick or rundown, just wear the mask, wash the hands, and keep distance indoors.   

I mean for now just stay home and then you will really be safe.

I swear this pandemic will make folks skiddish.

I will be the first to admit it has made be skittish. Losing eighteen friends will do that to you.  Safety measures should be taken in care of anyone's health.

We kept the “Do not Disturb” sign out several times on r Nov cruise.  We opened r balcony door and sprayed Lysol.   We had room service for breakfast.   We avoided the dining room for dinner but ate there at lunch to avoid sitting close to people.   On the final night of the cruise we had dinner in the dining room at a table off by itself. We ate outdoors mostly.  

We plan on doing the the same thing on our Jan 31 cruise from NJ.  I am a bit nervous cuz it is an 11 day cruise.  We have two other short cruises in Florida that don’t concern me cuz we will b off the ship in a few days

shud we

feel I’ll.  

We r in our 70’s so we need to take precautions, but that hasn’t stopped us

from traveling for the past two years.  We’ve been flying across the country going to Vegas and national parks, to beaches, and on cruises.   Guessing we probably have natural immunity from so many viruses, but when it’s our time, we r ready.  At least we enjoyed

every moment we travel.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

I'm on a cruise now and have yet to see a crew member even touch their mask. Every single one of them wears a kn95 mask over their mouth and nose at all times, indoors and outdoors.  

That was our experience on Mardi Gras, yep.

1 hour ago, auburn77 said:

And it looks like your doubts are indeed well-placed, judging from Doggielover68's post above, and my own observations.  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 1:14 PM, abby1257 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the people on the ship that catch covid...haven't caught it off the staff....THAT IS NOT way out there.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:09 PM, abby1257 said:

..Is this really way out there....

If you were going to get defense about it then why ask the question in the first place? You obviously already know what you want to do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, auburn77 said:

Or wears a neck gaiter that the CDC said from the beginning was worthless but people still wear them in places where masks are required. Apparently, the fabric ones aren’t much good against omicron either. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:14 AM, abby1257 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the people on the ship that catch covid...haven't caught it off the staff....THAT IS NOT way out there.

It absolutely is “way out there.” No guest is going to have the cleaning tools that the ship has. 

• Like 2

OP I think that is a perfectly acceptable plan. We plan to do something similar. Since the virus is airborne having someone lingering in your cabin while cleaning increases risk. At this point I'm about avoiding getting the virus while on the ship and suffering a quarantine. So I'll do what is easily within my control to mitigate the risk and not sweat the rest. 

The biggest issue for this for me would be the small size of the trash cans. Pre-covid we only let them in once every 2-3 days to clean the room and by then the trash cans were full.

Could it help? Maybe, IF the cabin Stewart removed and their mask while cleaning and IF you entered the cabin shortly after the cleaning. Personally, I would be much more concerned about spread from passengers in dining and drinking venues.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:41 PM, firefly333 said:

Just put out the do not disturb sign. I've gone for a couple of days without service, just grabbed towels off the cart. I also asked last time to skip towel animals. 

Did this on Celebrity once. First day (embarkation day) the steward was all huffy basically demanding to be let in the room because it was a requirement to clean it once a day. Um...did he not clean it before we embarked? Something about him just rubbed me the wrong way. So I kept out the do not disturb sign. Halfway through the cruise security comes and finds me (while I'm watching a movie with my daughter) and wants to go into the room right now. I go with them, they check the room, let the steward in to clean...and can't point to anywhere in the contract where stateroom cleaning was required X times a day (this was a number of years ago, way before Covid, and no there was no noro going on at the time). The whole experience was just odd.

Since then I've tried to make a point of letting them in once a day, and if I don't need anything I'll just ask for towels and for garbage to be taken (even if not required, so they can say they went through the entire room). Only been on one cruise since Covid, I just made sure to leave the do not disturb sign off for at least a few hours in the morning or evening so they'd have a chance to go in and do whatever they needed. I'd rather they didn't every single day (every other day would be ok), I mean I don't have housekeeping come to my house once or twice a day to wipe everything down and make my bed, but eh.

Unless the steward is breathing in your face I wouldn't be too concerned. The reported evidence is that the virus is airborne and it is very unlikely to contract the virus from surfaces. So, I'm more than happy to let them clean my cabin.

• Like 1

It's not crazy. I asked for the same situation while on the Regal princess on Thanksgiving. I was scared af to catch covid. Their medallion class system is a HOT freaking mess if you ask me. Hate it. 

I pushed the do not disturb button on the screen in front of my room. For whatever reason, the system kept turning off the do not disturb option in my room. Very glitchy. I spoke with my room steward to not clean my room. She did it anyways....2x...I was FURIOUS. I went to guest services and complained. I spoke with the floor manager. They told me too bad. Terrible customer service. 

On 1/21/2022 at 5:15 PM, 1kaper said:

i worked at a hotel cleaning rooms one summer in college. 
During training the person put on a glove, sprayed the toilet and cleaned it out with a sponge. 

She then proceeded to wipe the counter down after. 

i asked why she didn’t clean the counter first.  She said it didn’t matter, the next room would still get the sponge in the toilet. 

FTR I kept a counter sponge and a toilet sponge. I cannot tell you what others did.  I just know how they were trained 

This wasn’t a cheap hotel chain.  

This is LITERALLY my nightmare. 

Don’t the studies show Covid doesn’t stay airborne very long and that it isn’t spread via contact (touching things) like originally thought?  Seems more likely you’d catch Covid elsewhere walking around others than from someone entering your cabin when you are not there.  Lots of different opinions, only you know what risk you’re willing to take. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 1:14 PM, abby1257 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the people on the ship that catch covid...haven't caught it off the staff....

100% agree!

Far more crew are certainly catching covid on-board cruise ships than passengers. 

Far more crew are living, working & sleeping in much closer quarters than passengers.

😷  😷

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 5:08 PM, abby1257 said:

I didn't think you could get service twice a day....that's doubling up on covid spread....no thanks 🙂

If you are cleaning your own cabin, you get to choose how many times it will be cleaned.  Just don't go outside your cabin.....there are dangerous germs and people out there.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3