KEEP MY CABIN CLEAN MYSELF

abby1257

12 hours ago, auburn77 said:

Correct, but my favorite is the plastic face shield (without a mask). Close to zero effective!

Working in the industrial manufacturing industry, we use those as face protection against impact and chemical spray. Not good for anything else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 10:14 AM, circuitrider said:

Did this on Celebrity once. First day (embarkation day) the steward was all huffy basically demanding to be let in the room because it was a requirement to clean it once a day. Um...did he not clean it before we embarked? Something about him just rubbed me the wrong way. So I kept out the do not disturb sign. Halfway through the cruise security comes and finds me (while I'm watching a movie with my daughter) and wants to go into the room right now. I go with them, they check the room, let the steward in to clean...and can't point to anywhere in the contract where stateroom cleaning was required X times a day (this was a number of years ago, way before Covid, and no there was no noro going on at the time). The whole experience was just odd.

A passenger going out of their way to decline all room services is unusual behavior and attracts attention. The steward probably would have gone in anyway if they saw and opportunity to ensure that you weren't damaging the room. when the opportunity didn't come up, they called security. 

We prefer to not have our room cleaned daily. We don't make a point of telling anyone. We just leave the do not disturb up. Our experience is that if that is up, they will just skip the room. We usually leave it down all day 2 days of the cruise so they can come in an clean. Haven't had security called on us yet. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 1:09 PM, abby1257 said:

OK, as stupid as this sounds, I have a cruise end of March and May.  With staff popping up sick with covid, I am really tempted to NOT have staff allowed in my cabin and clean it myself...I would only ask for fresh towels every day that I will get...I would take lysol wipes with me...Is this really way out there....

Crew are tested regularly.  If you are nervous about someone coming into your cabin, maybe you shouldn't be cruising right now.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I personally don’t have my room cleaned.  
Have done it on every cruise I’ve done.
way before covid.   
im a very neat and clean person. 
I make my own bed at 5-6am I keep my bathroom clean. 
I wipe down all my surfaces with Clorox wipes if needed.  
I just dont need people in and out of my room.

I just prefer it that way.

if I need anything. I’ll ask.  
I have ice brought to my door in the morning with my continental breakfast 
but that’s about it.   
my room my choice.  
I do the same thing in hotel rooms.  

D02718EE-07C1-4870-AD5C-5509F15C233E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We sailed on the Horizon in November 2021 and asked our Room Steward to clean in the evening.  I also told the RS to feel free to enter our stateroom when we were out to take out the garbage and fill our ice bucket.  In the evening, he would clean our bathroom, leave fresh towels and refill our ice bucket.  

As a comparison, we went  to Gatlinburg, TN in September 2021 for a four night stay in a popular chain hotel.  When we checked in, we were informed that no housekeeping staff would be servicing our room until we checked out.  So, for four days, we had to gather all our wet towels for 4 people and carry them down to the check-in desk who would give us clean towels.  We also had to go down to the check-in desk for soap, shampoo, etc.  As far as garbage is concerned, we were required to gather all our garbage,  put it in the garbage cans in our room and place them in the hall outside our door.  Housekeeping would come around, pick up the garbage and leave the empty cans in the hall.  I hope the cruise lines do not move in this direction, it was a PITA.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tattoos said:

We sailed on the Horizon in November 2021 and asked our Room Steward to clean in the evening.  I also told the RS to feel free to enter our stateroom when we were out to take out the garbage and fill our ice bucket.  In the evening, he would clean our bathroom, leave fresh towels and refill our ice bucket.  

As a comparison, we went  to Gatlinburg, TN in September 2021 for a four night stay in a popular chain hotel.  When we checked in, we were informed that no housekeeping staff would be servicing our room until we checked out.  So, for four days, we had to gather all our wet towels for 4 people and carry them down to the check-in desk who would give us clean towels.  We also had to go down to the check-in desk for soap, shampoo, etc.  As far as garbage is concerned, we were required to gather all our garbage,  put it in the garbage cans in our room and place them in the hall outside our door.  Housekeeping would come around, pick up the garbage and leave the empty cans in the hall.  I hope the cruise lines do not move in this direction, it was a PITA.

Towels only really need to be cleaned once a week.  Your clean when you use them aren’t you?   Save some water.  
bring your own shampoo and soap. Hotel toiletries are the worst at most hotels.   
Any veteran traveler would know these things.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ptroxx said:

Towels only really need to be cleaned once a week.  Your clean when you use them aren’t you?   Save some water.  
bring your own shampoo and soap. Hotel toiletries are the worst at most hotels.   
Any veteran traveler would know these things.  

Fresh towels are nice in hotels, you feel pampered.   Hotel toiletries  are just fine, I have no fancy stuff at home.  I'm a veteran traveler.  🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tattoos said:

Very similar to what we went thru in Mobile, AL at Christmas. Like you said, PITA.

On 1/24/2022 at 5:52 AM, lowroller said:

Per Carnival, 

Will my stateroom still be serviced? What if I don’t want it to be serviced?

All staterooms will be serviced once daily. However, you may opt out of the daily stateroom service. Just contact your stateroom attendant to let them know. Should you need any service, your stateroom attendant will be only a phone call away.

Seems like the thread should have ended right here because the question was answered .... but im glad it didn't. Oh Cruise Critic boards...you never let me down ❤️

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Yes, you're correct.  Per CDC, the odds are about 1 in 10,000 of catching COVID from an infected surface like a door-button, or a serving spoon at the buffet.   It's called "fomite contact":  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

Roughly the fourth paragraph.  

As others stated, not likely since you were not in "close contact" as CDC defines it (within short distance for at least 15 minutes).  

Although I wonder if those guidelines are still valid with the omicron variant.  😮  

Just to clarify, when I said clean only once, I did mean per day. I would welcome the cleaning twice a day, but do not want to put that burden on the steward. I am not at all afraid of the steward giving us the virus. I was just wondering how far Carnival goes in contact tracing. I actually thought it would be absurd to quarantine us if our steward tests positive.

2 hours ago, auburn77 said:

Just to clarify, when I said clean only once, I did mean per day. I would welcome the cleaning twice a day, but do not want to put that burden on the steward. I am not at all afraid of the steward giving us the virus. I was just wondering how far Carnival goes in contact tracing. I actually thought it would be absurd to quarantine us if our steward tests positive.

You are considered to be a "close contact" if you have been with that person for a period of 15 minutes or more.  I don't know about you, but my stewards have always cleaned when I wasn't there, so no contact risk.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

You are considered to be a "close contact" if you have been with that person for a period of 15 minutes or more.  I don't know about you, but my stewards have always cleaned when I wasn't there, so no contact risk.

Indeed, the magical, ninja-like ability of most stewards to know exactly when you're out of your stateroom has been the stuff of legend.  😄 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ptroxx...FYI, I am a veteran traveler, I have traveled extensively around the world.  

I always bring my own shampoo but my grandson, who was traveling with me, loves those little bottles of shampoo and the small bars of soap, just his size.

As far as towels are concerned, I try to save on utilities in my home but for the money I paid for this hotel room, I expect and want clean, dry towels every day.  

• Like 4

If one doesn't want the steward in the room so reuses towels I assume they also reuse washcloths. I was picturing that. What is the last thing you wash with a washcloth, then next time what is the first thing you wash with that washcloth?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, icft said:

If one doesn't want the steward in the room so reuses towels I assume they also reuse washcloths. I was picturing that. What is the last thing you wash with a washcloth, then next time what is the first thing you wash with that washcloth?

And you are using soap and water. Same as laundry

10 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

For all those that have read the cruise contract is there anything in there that says you have to let the steward in to clean your room?  I find it odd that many are saying it would cause extra attention and security would be called to your room.  

Carnival requests that inform the steward that you do not wish daily room service.  People who put up the DND all cruise are usually hiding their full bar of smuggled booze.

For folks who are concerned about stewards breathing in your room, are you aware that the person in the public bathroom in the next stall, is mostly likely also taking a mask break?

11 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

For all those that have read the cruise contract is there anything in there that says you have to let the steward in to clean your room?  I find it odd that many are saying it would cause extra attention and security would be called to your room.  

Since the Vegas hotel shooting,  most hotels have policies that require staff to enter the guest's room ever so often. In cruising for up to a week, I think having the "snoozin" sign out would be okay. However,  I would assume they would want to get in the room at least once on longer cruises. 

2 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Since the Vegas hotel shooting,  most hotels have policies that require staff to enter the guest's room ever so often. In cruising for up to a week, I think having the "snoozin" sign out would be okay. However,  I would assume they would want to get in the room at least once on longer cruises. 

They still check because cruise ships are also a suicide destination 

Towels in a closed or damp bathroom don’t dry all the way, and after a week, will smell mildewy and carry bacteria. I’ll take a fresh towel any day. I’d prefer not to wipe my face with the five day old towel I wiped my butt with multiple times. 

Edited by MadamGorgeous
  • Like 3