The Daily for Tuesday 01/25/2022

richwmn

36 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Some pictures from Melbourne. We spent most of the day at a Wildlife Park.

Approaching Melbourne

806019069_635-Melbourneasweapproach.thumb.JPG.b76d15f354e0eb1ca6e6a0227a64be91.JPG

262506716_638-PortofMelbourne.thumb.JPG.d15099be29d0ad6f51da1e75ba7f981c.JPG

1941151567_640-BallaratWildlifePark.thumb.JPG.9857c839816e65026501164884ba2ef6.JPG

736050070_641-Kangaroos.thumb.JPG.a6d04bb94928f708a7fc9b5cf2bdcd11.JPG

817389890_652-Mamaandjoey.thumb.JPG.d5a8de1060ef00524a621530ae2acb29.JPG

657.thumb.JPG.7f4e0aaba8a8e4079bd51032f07f6524.JPG

666.thumb.JPG.2e79b06321abccee832a8dea98d54d69.JPG

Ballarat/Sovereign Hill Gold Mining Town

593626533_668-SovereignHillBallaratMainStreet.thumb.JPG.aaaeaee9a793e76416c5cd66815e86db.JPG

672.thumb.JPG.852489ecbc675ad92c1b425ab4a47866.JPG

Old Gold Mine

1804924037_675-GoldMine.thumb.JPG.de63ebf1d1efbe3c7d2d64b04f054871.JPG

Redcoat Soldiers

206862640_679-RedcoatSoldiers.thumb.JPG.d4b4301bd20a08b9d0fd702759593d3a.JPG

Ballarat is know for cast iron building decoration

1721212243_703-Ballaratisknownforcastironbuildingdecoration.thumb.JPG.8b17b41bb7c095b250b9a8116f5b1089.JPG

Memorial to the bandsmen of HMS Titanic

1620881392_704-MemorialtothebandsmenofRMSTitanic.thumb.JPG.dcc91dbd52a22648f80cf23df6d59c0e.JPG

Statendam in Melbourne

881509131_706-MSStatendaminMelbournedocked.thumb.JPG.da0fbff8fe096b30f834f45ff2e30e21.JPG

Melbourne Harbor with HMAS Ballarat

1028433580_707-MelbourneHarbor.thumb.JPG.322a55c4d2fc8b0085f9bb61bcab5f9f.JPG

1965882364_720-ViewofMelbourneaswedepart.thumb.JPG.a728c4416207111c7aa155cff05caa2e.JPG

Nice photos Vanessa.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  Loving the photos of Melbourne!  happy Robbie Burns day,  I celebrated many nights when DH was in a pipe band,  but ooh that stinking, reeking haggis, 🤢

@rafinmd what a surprise that you saw Come from away in Melbourne 😉

@aliaschief I know you didn’t want replies, but please celebrate this good news 
My Condolences to @StLouisCruisers  @Suslor@mamaofami
wishing good things for all daily ites  today.  And maybe extra red wine! 
perhaps spring is around the corner, found a lady bug in the 🏠 

263348CF-9967-42E3-8FE8-1E90BE6F2239.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

All the sun is in the mountains and on the coast, which we love. Driving through the densely populated Puget Sound region is never pleasant; now it includes dense fog along with the traffic. 

Just go east or west and you will find the sunshine 🙂 

Funny, usually we do go to the mountains or the coast for my birthday, but not this year!  

I'm getting really tired of this fog.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

My preliminary boarding passes are available for my March 12 sailing on NA - woohoo! They moved us up a deck to a different interior room - K5036. Not sure why, but don’t really care. They’re prob all the same. Now, if they moved me to a verandah or Neptune, that’d really be something to be excited about 🥳

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

wanted to drop in and let you all know DSIL's Mom died last night about 10 pm.  Her MRI yesterday confirmed fluid on the brain and even if the surgeons drained it she was not going to live.  Her brain was too damaged by all the stroke/seizures she experienced in the past 10 days.  DSIL, his Dad and sister said their goodbyes and they started removing feeding tubes. 😪

Prayers for the family. 🙏

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

In hard times I like to look for signs of normality.  One thing that can't get much normal is that whether it's spectacular or hidden and one sees it or not the sun will always rise.  Considering the sad situation with Crystal Cruises I am going back to something special.  When the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage was announced I got the incredible dream of a complete circumnavigation of the Americas and I was able to do it in a span of about 4 years, while the segments ran in different directions and a random order.  This was my circumnavigation:

Fort Lauderdale to Rio, MS Maasdam, January 2015

Rio and Buenos Aires, Crystal Serenity, 2017

Buenos Aires and Manta (via Antarctica), Crystal Symphony, 2016

Manta and San Diego, MS Zaandam, 2017

San Diego and Vancouver, MS Oosterdam, 2017

Vancouver and Seward, MS Westerdam, 2018

Seward and New York, Crystal Serenity, 2016

New York and Southampton (another detour), 2016

Southampton and Fort Lauderdale, Queen Victoria, 2016

In this sequence I am using one of the first sunrises from the Maasdam.  January 25, 2015 was a sea day between Key West and a planned stop at Grand Cayman:

dawn125a.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Several regular posters on the Daily Threads are scheduled to sail on Nieuw Statendam from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale Oct 8th 2022. On my recent Rotterdam Christmas Cruise, @Sharon in AZ set up a nice meeting in the Ocean Bar for Daily regulars to get to know each other a bit. For those that are involved, would you like to do a meeting or maybe a dinner?

@dfish, @Cruising-along, and others?

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Several regular posters on the Daily Threads are scheduled to sail on Nieuw Statendam from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale Oct 8th 2022. On my recent Rotterdam Christmas Cruise, @Sharon in AZ set up a nice meeting in the Ocean Bar for Daily regulars to get to know each other a bit. For those that are involved, would you like to do a meeting or maybe a dinner?

I'm up for anything!  Great idea, Rich!  

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Suslor said:

So sorRy @StLouis Cruiserto hear about DSIL mom passing.

Yesterday we got a morning call that our dear friend and neighbor passed away. She was unexpected hospitalized with heart issues and staying with her daughters in NJ over the holidays. Saturday they brought her back to DC to check the house and pick up mail and blessed DH and myself by having lunch with us as she wasn’t seeing any other neighbors. She appeared in good spirits and ate our homemade Turkey sOup and some chocolate ice cream. That  was her last meal as she didn’t eat anything on Sunday. She apparently knew the end was near and talked with her three daughters Sunday night. Monday morning she was having a sip of water and just dIed 🥲😢

I’m glad you got to enjoy time with her. Prayers for her family and friends. 🙏

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, richwmn said:

That sounds like a great plan.   On my last cruise BC some of us met each afternoon during Happy Hour at 4:00.  If you were available, you came.  If not, you didn't.  If you didn't want alcohol, you snagged a coffee or water on your way through the Lido.  And, I think a dinner would be fantastic!  

36 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Me, too!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

My Condolences to @StLouisCruisers  @Suslor@mamaofami
wishing good things for all daily ites  today.  And maybe extra red wine! 

Thanks so much.  

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

Prayers for the family. 🙏

You are all so kind and compassionate.  Thank you.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Also, another close friend died and I had to zoom the funeral. There were four couples at our condo and we did lots of things together including cruising and Florida together. It was a second wedding for both of them and he died of heart disease yesterday. Our friends are dying all around us.

Oh my! I’m so sorry to hear of your friend’s passing. Prayers going out to his family and friends. 🙏 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, garlictown said:

👍Thank you for The Daily updates, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmdfor both the Care and Celebration Lists.

😔 Sending condolences to Sandi  @StLouisCruisersand her family.

🙏 Prayers to all others in need.

🌴Katie and Viviane with Acai Bowls and Hula Pie ( sideways 🤪)🌴

P.S Tomorrow is a special day in AU.

FB_IMG_1643132084685.jpg

20220124_144623.jpg

20220124_113038.jpg

We'll be having the Hula Pie either at Hula Grill, Dukes or Kimo's in a couple of weeks...😀

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Our DDs were raised the same way, and their cats and dogs lived to a ripe old age and were greatly loved.  When a pet crosses the Rainbow Bridge, it so hard on their humans, that I can't understand  how anyone could abandon a pet.  At least those that can't keep their pets for various reasons and take them to a shelter hoping for a new fur-ever home show love for their fur baby.  It must be hard to surrender a pet.

Carol, I'm glad you were able to retrieve your Amex card.  Our condolences on the loss of your close friend.  Also, condolences to his family and other close friends.

Lenda

Thank you , Lenda. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. Not sure about opposite day. I like Irish coffee. In school, I was always told to speak up, as I was shy and tended not to contribute much, even though I knew the material. I got better about speaking up as I got older, but not great.

The quote is very true.

I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

I have been to Melbourne, on my first HAL cruise, Auckland to Sydney.

Another day that I had to shovel snow off the walks. But it was a bit warmer and sunny. The sun helped to clear the walks completely. Now getting things ready for BFF's arrival this evening. Prepped the red cabbage for tomorrow, the sauerbraten is marinating, and I'll make spaetzle tomorrow. I still need to wrap 1 present, the German fruit nut bread, which has been hanging out in the fridge. Also continue to tidy up the house. Tomorrow the temps are dropping, with -10 wind chill by Thursday.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, his medical team, Marley and you.

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Tana.

@StLouisCruisers So sorry to hear about DSIL's Mom. It sounds like she would not have had a good quality of life, but still a shock. Prayers for the family. Lovely picture of he and his Mom.

@dfish Love the quilt material. I have a quilt I've been working on for about 20 years, and never finished due to time and poor eyesight. It's all hand quilted. I need to try to get back to it and finish!

@lazey1 It's good to hear that Kakalena has remained negative and is getting settled.

@Cruzin Terri I hope all went well with your biopsy, and that you get good lab results.

@TheKingD HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

@richwmn I heard that about red wine. Great since that's primarily the wine I drink.

@ottahand7 It sounds like the cat is going to a good home. Prayers for your brother and DSIL.

@aliaschief Good to hear.

@Suslor Condolences on the loss of your friend. I'm glad you got to see her.

@mamaofami Condolences on the loss of your friend as well. So sad.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Yes and Yes!  Can we do both?  I had great fun setting up our meet at the Ocean Bar but was very surprised how busy it was that night based on our previous cruise meeting (on the Koningsdam in October) that I had set up. Anyway, this time I would definitely call ahead and set aside an area if at all possible. And I don’t mind getting a tray of appetizers for us. (BTW Rich, I still don’t know why I got those chocolate covered strawberries because I certainly didn’t order them. Nice surprise though.)

Here is our group on the Rotterdam. 

49383543-A63F-4DFC-B1E3-370A43C44B1C.jpeg.8a5918b10c79a08da008575f94b23d7d.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yay!

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

That sounds like a great plan.   On my last cruise BC some of us met each afternoon during Happy Hour at 4:00.  If you were available, you came.  If not, you didn't.  If you didn't want alcohol, you snagged a coffee or water on your way through the Lido.  And, I think a dinner would be fantastic!  

Me, too!

Sounds like a great idea!  But as Rich knows I’m not a 4:00 pm get together person so maybe the first time we could meet at 7:00 pm embarkation day.  It was nice to meet everyone that first night. 

I know @NextOne&    @AncientWanderer are also on our sailing.  Right now I can’t remember if anyone else is though. 

I would be happy to arrange our first night meeting if someone else could arrange the dinner.  Feel free to email me (email is in my signature) and I’ll start a list. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope all is well today with Jacqui @kazu.  Either I missed her post or she didn't make it here today.  Praying you're having a good day Jacqui.🙏

She has not posted here today.  I think one of the things she is doing is some work on her roll calls, which will be missing her presence.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Had planned to spend a lazy day on the lanai as DH preps his birthday feast (he loves to plan, cook and serve meals!) but may have to drive into town to catch a glimpse of the bhb, Koningsdam in Kailua-Kona. Thanks to the Daily for the ships’ positions. E81C61A6-821B-45B1-9EF5-35FBF60F39B4.thumb.jpeg.c5380419add93927110b646b98a475da.jpeg

• Like 20