Mask question

snorkle lover

We are booked on a Stockholm to Stockholm cruise the end of August, 2022 . Our final payment is due the end of April. I understand that masks can be a very controversial issue and that nobody has a crystal ball. That being said, we will not take this cruise if masks are STILL required on board. We are fully vaccinated  (two shots and a booster) and we do wear a mask whenever it is required, which is primarily when we have a doctor’s appointment. I am just wondering what thoughts people might have about masks six plus months down the road on ships. Ugh, we so want to cruise again but can’t see spending the money to wear a mask. Thoughts?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, snorkle lover said:

We are booked on a Stockholm to Stockholm cruise the end of August, 2022 . Our final payment is due the end of April. I understand that masks can be a very controversial issue and that nobody has a crystal ball. That being said, we will not take this cruise if masks are STILL required on board. We are fully vaccinated  (two shots and a booster) and we do wear a mask whenever it is required, which is primarily when we have a doctor’s appointment. I am just wondering what thoughts people might have about masks six plus months down the road on ships. Ugh, we so want to cruise again but can’t see spending the money to wear a mask. Thoughts?

Snorkle [sic] Lover hates masks? 😀

There are still a few more letters left in the Greek Alphabet.  

One option to consider is Travel Insurance - the good ones offer an optional "cancel for any reason" supplement.

56 minutes ago, snorkle lover said:

Ugh, we so want to cruise again but can’t see spending the money to wear a mask. Thoughts?

It is not only on board you have to think about.  We decided to cancel our cruises later this year because no matter how hard we tried we just couldn't get comfortable with the idea of wearing a mask in the airports, on the planes, in the hotel, in the cruise terminal, etc., etc. too.  

• Like 1

I believe we are on the cruise with you.  Not a big fan of the things either, but after two years of multiple 10 hour plane rides,  I’m fine and life goes on.  Got the shots,  have been mostly good with the masks and haven’t got COVID (to my knowledge).  I also have seen lots of plays in NYC and NJ and plenty of dinners out,  but I wear the mask when I’m in a crowded area.   Also I take the steps instead of the elevator if possible.    I hope the mask is gone also,  but at this point I can suck it up -  if you asked me this 18 months ago,   I would have cancelled the cruise, also.  Good luck with your choice.   

• Like 3

I

51 minutes ago, alidor said:

Simple - wear one or stay home.

Basically true.   I'm not a fan of the masks but have come to the realization that if we want to travel we'll need to wear masks.  Mask wearing on the cruise seems most onerous on excursions, my understanding is they aren't necessary outside and wearing one to dinner or the bar isn't that big a deal.  On our recent vacation we had the masks on for 16 consecutive hours flying (& in airports) each way.  This wasn't fun.  Unless there is a direct flight from Atlanta to Stockholm, or you have your own plane, its reasonable to guess you will also have to endure very long periods of mask wearing.

As mentioned above cancel for any reason is an option but its not cheap.

There is a possibility that the masks are gone by September I guess but I've been thinking that for 1 1/2 years. 

• Like 1

We just finished a back to back on the beautiful Splendor. Everyone really did a great job with the masks. And all of us did once or twice forget to put it back on when leaving a dining venue.  Staff usually gently reminded you to put it back on. 

At the pool, bars and in restaurants no masked needed.  The Splendor crew go out of their way to insure cleanliness comes first. In the La Veranda buffet dining room a crew member asks you  to actually wash your hands at the entrance to the room. Each entrance has a built in sink area.

After 2 yrs. without cruising this first experience back was wonderful. Regent ships are beautiful, the crew are over the top great and even with the masks, we had a wonderful time. 

And can't wait to get back on the Splendor in April for the crossing. 

Our flight to and from was 3 hrs. each. We opted for business class to be more comfortable. The mask issue wasn't as annoying as the 2 yr. old whinnying/temper tantrums for the 3 hrs. coming home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit i don't understand the big deal about wearing a mask. I don't like it either but we do all sorts of things we might not like doing because to do them is for the public good. We are required to obey all kinds of rules because in a civilized world we do things for the greater good.  As others have said if you can't follow the rules then don't go, wait and see if and when we get to the point we don't have to wear them. 

My husband is immune compromised though extremely healthy in every other way. i don't think he should have to stay home because people aren't obeying the rules.  If it wasn't the rule then it is up to him to decide what he can deal with and what he can't but if it is a rule then he should be able to rely on people obeying them. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Managed three shortish cruises last year in Europe.  Wearing masks onboard and in coaches obligatory, but a lot of the time you don't wear them because you are in your room, or sitting outside on deck enjoying the weather, or sitting having a drink in the bar, or in the restaurant eating. 

Easy to get used to!

Edited by Timeflies
  • Like 2

Nobody knows what things will look like by the time your cruise rolls around.  I suspect masks will still be around though given the way things have been going.  If it really bothers you, you need to cancel.  For me, it is no big deal since I wear one 10-12 hours per day at work.  Though the new KN 95 they are now making me wear all the time is pretty uncomfortable.  The regular procedure ones that I had been wearing I can actually forget I have on now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zak477 said:

We just finished a back to back on the beautiful Splendor. Everyone really did a great job with the masks. And all of us did once or twice forget to put it back on when leaving a dining venue.  Staff usually gently reminded you to put it back on. 

At the pool, bars and in restaurants no masked needed.  The Splendor crew go out of their way to insure cleanliness comes first. In the La Veranda buffet dining room a crew member asks you  to actually wash your hands at the entrance to the room. Each entrance has a built in sink area.

After 2 yrs. without cruising this first experience back was wonderful. Regent ships are beautiful, the crew are over the top great and even with the masks, we had a wonderful time. 

And can't wait to get back on the Splendor in April for the crossing. 

Our flight to and from was 3 hrs. each. We opted for business class to be more comfortable. The mask issue wasn't as annoying as the 2 yr. old whinnying/temper tantrums for the 3 hrs. coming home. 

Not happy about that requirement of washing my hands in that sink! Isn’t hand sanitizer enough?? 

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

Not happy about that requirement of washing my hands in that sink! Isn’t hand sanitizer enough?? 

They still have a hand sanitizer by the doors to pool deck and you can use those instead of the sink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

They still have a hand sanitizer by the doors to pool deck and you can use those instead of the sink.

Actually on our cruise, they made us wash our hands too.  George would even say that he had just used the hand sanitizer--didn't matter.  It was only in La Veranda that they did this, probably due to it being a buffet. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Actually on our cruise, they made us wash our hands too.  George would even say that he had just used the hand sanitizer--didn't matter.  It was only in La Veranda that they did this, probably due to it being a buffet. 

Sorry, but I wouldn't agree to that. Its ridiculous. Do the servers wash their hands every 15 minutes, or change their gloves continuously? Does everyone entering La Veranda stand in line dutifully behind that little sink to wash their hands?  If this is a hard rule guess I will not visit La Veranda, not a big deal as I hate buffets.

Editing to add: Has Regent reverted to passengers serving themselves from the buffet line? If there's an anti-covid measure I wholeheartedly supported was to to only allow staff to do this

Edited by cruiseluv

24 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Sorry, but I wouldn't agree to that. Its ridiculous. Do the servers wash their hands every 15 minutes, or change their gloves continuously? Does everyone entering La Veranda stand in line dutifully behind that little sink to wash their hands?  If this is a hard rule guess I will not visit La Veranda, not a big deal as I hate buffets.

Editing to add: Has Regent reverted to passengers serving themselves from the buffet line? If there's an anti-covid measure I wholeheartedly supported was to to only allow staff to do this

This was an absolute requirement and there is actually a staff member stationed there to ensure compliance.

• Like 3

As someone who is fully vaccinated, as well as being a total germaphobe, and still managed to catch Covid19 I can tell you that while catching Covid likely won't kill you.... it makes for a pretty miserable 5 or 6 days.  And that is being ill in my own home with a huge ocean front balcony to enjoy.  I can't imaging being quarantined in a cruise ship cabin with meals being left at the door and no cabin service for five days.  My advice is be grateful if they have a mask mandate because regardless of vaccination status we are all still vulnerable for testing positive (with or without symptoms) and don't go on vacation to be locked up.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

This was an absolute requirement and there is actually a staff member stationed there to ensure compliance.

This suits me fine - how many times have we seen fellow passengers ignoring the sanitizing stations!

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

What is anyone's problem with washing their hands before they eat. I welcome the opportunity do do so without having to go to a restroom or back to my cabin.  By following the rule of washing my hands before I eat I have never suffered from Novovirus despite being on a cruise where it was prevalent.  Don't understand the issue here

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, cerise638 said:

What is anyone's problem with washing their hands before they eat. I welcome the opportunity do do so without having to go to a restroom or back to my cabin.  By following the rule of washing my hands before I eat I have never suffered from Novovirus despite being on a cruise where it was prevalent.  Don't understand the issue here

Excuse me, the fact that I rather not wash my hands in a small utility sink in front of everyone has nothing to do with my hands not being clean. I don’t mind using the hand sanitizer. Do you also want a staff member posted in every bathroom, making sure people wash their hands when they come out of the stall? You know, we are not in Kindergarten anymore.  I would welcome having staff members serving the food and not the passengers though 

20 days and I ate in La Verandah every morning and never used the sinks; I always used hand sanitizer and was always allowed in.  Ate at La Verandah a number of times for lunch and never used the sinks.  Ate at Sette Mari six times and never used the sinks.  

YMMV

13 hours ago, zak477 said:

In the La Veranda buffet dining room a crew member asks you to actually wash your hands at the entrance to the room.

We sailed on the Mariner in February 2020 when Covid was just beginning.  The wash basins at the entrance to La Verandah were already installed and must have been before Covid was even identified.   Staff were requesting a thorough hand wash on entry then - I guess Regent felt it was simply good practice for buffets.

16 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

As mentioned above cancel for any reason is an option but its not cheap.

And you usually have to purchase it within 2-3 weeks of your first deposit, so it is probably not an option for existing bookings.

Sadly masks will likely be around for years (hope not).   I hate wearing them too.  But I want to cruise, so I'll wear a mask, wash my hands in the sink at the entrance to La Veranda, take a Covid test before boarding, get another booster if necessary.  Time for life to go on.  If anyone doesn't want to do these things, then I guess your cruising days may be over (at least for the near future).  We all make choices and every choice has both rewards and consequences.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1