If you test positive at the dock, DEMAND another test

PSR

For those who didn't read the January 16th Koningsdam thread, I am here to report on a followup to my (supposedly) POSITIVE  test I received as part of the boarding procedure on 1/16. I had tested NEGATIVE on a 1/14/22 pre-cruise test PCR as required by HAL. At the dock I tested POSITIVE and my husband was negative, and we were sent to the COVID "corral" and denied boarding without any chance to retest. There were about 12 of us in the confined area, only 1/2 of whom tested positive, so it shouldn't have been too hard to retest the few of us. Some may remember we decided to fly home that day, without quarantining, because I didn't think I was positive, due to the previous negative test.  Today we received an official email from the company that provided the testing on the dock. My official antigen result was NEGATIVE, not positive, and we should have been allowed to cruise. There was obviously an error between my test and my name getting mixed up with someone who was POSITIVE  instead of me (and who proceded onboard to infect others). This is a very serious error by the HAL team at the dock and resulted in us not getting to cruise. I am quite disappointed with HAL and the whole situation that ensued as my decision to fly was derided by some on this board.

Edited by PSR
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thank you so much for posting this.  So sorry, so sorry that this happened to you.  I agree re serious error by the HAL team at the dock.

Now I'm curious--is everyone tested in advance of boarding at the dock?  We cruised several times last fall on the NA and testing at the dock was not done.

This is the problem with all of these testing operations.  There is far too much operator error, I have heard this from a large number of people in the health care profession as well as reading peer reviewed research.  The test is overly sensitive and the people who are doing the testing are poorly trained in many cases.  

It is callous to subject people to financial loss with such a shoddy operation.  They need to drop the testing requirement for full vaccinated passengers.  It is an unnecessary hardship.  

I wish everyone would write the HAL and express their opinion.  I write them monthly with my opinion. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, 12cruise2 said:

Thank you so much for posting this.  So sorry, so sorry that this happened to you.  I agree re serious error by the HAL team at the dock.

Now I'm curious--is everyone tested in advance of boarding at the dock?  We cruised several times last fall on the NA and testing at the dock was not done.

The testing at the dock is a Hawaii requirement. KDam is on a Hawaii cruise since Jan 16.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PSR said:

…Today we received an official email from the company that provided the testing on the dock. My official antigen result was NEGATIVE, not positive, and we should have been allowed to cruise. There was obviously an error between my test and my name getting mixed up with someone who was POSITIVE  instead of me (and who proceded onboard to infect others)….

Oh my!

Was the purpose of the official email to send a copy of your test results, or to notify you of the error? Were you provided a copy of the results at the port? Have you notified HAL?

Thanks for the heads up!

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The testing at the dock is a Hawaii requirement. KDam is on a Hawaii cruise since Jan 16.

This is from the Hawaii Safe Travels site when you log in (we have to create accounts for the February 27th HI/SoPac Zuiderdam cruise) and nowhere does it mention anything about testing prior to embarkation.  And once we uploaded our vax cards, we each received an email with a QR code.

• Domestic travelers can apply for an exception/exemption by doing one of the following:

• Airline Passengers: Uploading a negative COVID-19 test result from Hawaii’s Trusted Testing and Travel Partners, found on https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

• Cruise Ship Passengers: Uploading a negative COVID-19 test result taken on the cruise ship while traveling to Hawai`i.

• Uploading a picture of your COVID-19 vaccination card.

• Linking a digital health pass ID from partners such as AZOVA, CommonPass or Clear - to represent either a negative COVID-19 test or proof of vaccination.

And it shows the same thing on a different page regarding testing:

Cruise Ship Passengers: only upload COVID-19 test results taken on the vessel while traveling to Hawai`i.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PSR said:

For those who didn't read the January 16th Koningsdam thread, I am here to report on a followup to my (supposedly) POSITIVE  test I received as part of the boarding procedure on 1/16. I had tested NEGATIVE on a 1/14/22 pre-cruise test PCR as required by HAL. At the dock I tested POSITIVE and my husband was negative, and we were sent to the COVID "corral" and denied boarding without any chance to retest. There were about 12 of us in the confined area, only 1/2 of whom tested positive, so it shouldn't have been too hard to retest the few of us. Some may remember we decided to fly home that day, without quarantining, because I didn't think I was positive, due to the previous negative test.  Today we received an official email from the company that provided the testing on the dock. My official antigen result was NEGATIVE, not positive, and we should have been allowed to cruise. There was obviously an error between my test and my name getting mixed up with someone who was POSITIVE  instead of me (and who proceded onboard to infect others). This is a very serious error by the HAL team at the dock and resulted in us not getting to cruise. I am quite disappointed with HAL and the whole situation that ensued as my decision to fly was derided by some on this board.

OMG!  Beyond unacceptable!  I was the person who asked initially if they had given you a PCR test and was amazed when you said no, especially when they ARE giving them to those who test positive once onboard.  The same protocol should be standard for everyone including pre-boarding. 

If it were me, I would be telling HAL that you are extremely disappointed in how this whole thing was handled and that you want a 100% refund rather than FCCs.  And if I were HAL, I'd not only do that but as a goodwill gesture, would offer you a comparable - and complimentary - cruise!

The lesson to any of us who have to test at the pier going forward (which we assume will be us on February 27th when we embark in San Diego on Zuiderdam to Hawaii and French Polynesia), should they tell you that you tested positive, demand to see the physical test to confirm the results and that it is in fact YOUR test, and then demand a follow-up PCR test.

PSR, please let us know what happens with HAL and don't give up until you have resolution that satisfies you!  

Edited by zelker
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I have a coworker who tested positive with the rapid test and then had the PCR test done. The PCR came back negative. So, he got on his flight to Florida in December to go on his cruise. Well, his trip got really interesting from there. The local Public Health department reached out to see how he was feeling. He told them he was great and sitting on a cruise to the Caribbean. The Public Health department then reported him to the CDC. CDC then called Holland America. Holland America hunted him down, retested him and he came back with another negative test result. At the CDCs insistence, he was quarantined until the end of the cruise and that was that. 

They (HAL and CDC) all stated that since he had one positive result none of the negatives mattered. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I am so sorry this happened to you! It’s so darn wrong!

It is exactly why I am stressed out!!!!!!!!! Anticipation for a cruise was one of my favorite things. No more. We cruised on 10/31/21 and I didn’t pack until after our COVID tests came back negative.

Now we have a 35 day cruise to the South Pacific, we not only have to test two days before the cruise, but then again at the pier and once more before we get to Hawaii. Who knows how many more times before we return to San Diego since we are going to French Polynesia. I’m wondering when we will be able to relax and enjoy the cruise. Every time people get off the ship there is a chance of being exposed. UGH! Yes, we are still rolling the dice and taking the cruise. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

I have a coworker who tested positive with the rapid test and then had the PCR test done. The PCR came back negative. So, he got on his flight to Florida in December to go on his cruise. Well, his trip got really interesting from there. The local Public Health department reached out to see how he was feeling. He told them he was great and sitting on a cruise to the Caribbean. The Public Health department then reported him to the CDC. CDC then called Holland America. Holland America hunted him down, retested him and he came back with another negative test result. At the CDCs insistence, he was quarantined until the end of the cruise and that was that. 

They (HAL and CDC) all stated that since he had one positive result none of the negatives mattered. 

That’s bizarre.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

I have a coworker who tested positive with the rapid test and then had the PCR test done. The PCR came back negative…They (HAL and CDC) all stated that since he had one positive result none of the negatives mattered. 

I recall that one positive test pre-cruise for some lines was the end of discussion, there was no way to re-test out of it. I believe I’ve heard that some lines do a follow up now to confirm, if testing onboard.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

Yes, that is the protocol for testing. Once positive, you remain positive until testing negative - after being in quarantine. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

QUESTION: How long AFTER one tests Positive can one cruise with Negative test results in hand?   

Perhaps someone who’s boarded recently can answer what the latest Health Questionnaire says. For those who recovered in the last 90 days but continue to test positive, they can get a letter of recovery from their doctor. See this.

7 hours ago, PSR said:

I totally agree with what zelker posted.  I am not one to complain, I appreciate cruising, but what happened to you is not acceptable.  You had to fly to port, get denied.  I am going in April on Koningsdam, I of course will pre-test two days before, and I don't mind the second test at the port as long as  HAL has their act together.  I hope you get all your cash back, no FCC,  and a free comp. cruise.  Please let us know how it resolves.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Covid testing was not done by Holland America. 

DocGo is the contracted medical company.

Interesting to me is that 20+ who tested negative at the pier, are now in isolation onboard due to positive results a few days later.

It makes one wonder just how accurate these rapid tests are? 

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAllenTCY said:

Covid testing was not done by Holland America. 

DocGo is the contracted medical company.

Interesting to me is that 20+ who tested negative at the pier, are now in isolation onboard due to positive results a few days later.

It makes one wonder just how accurate these rapid tests are? 

David

David - did HAL contract DocGo or did the Port of San Diego?

I get your disappointment - but outrage?  Not so sure about that...

They are doing the best they can.  It really IS possible to test negative one day, then two days later test positive.  It's also possible for a false reading instead of them 'mixing up test results'.  They are not going to just keep testing until the results come up the way people want them to come up.  They are going to err on the side of caution so they can keep sailing.

It's the chance anyone cruising right now takes.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, msmayor said:

I get your disappointment - but outrage?  Not so sure about that...

They are doing the best they can.  It really IS possible to test negative one day, then two days later test positive.  It's also possible for a false reading instead of them 'mixing up test results'.  They are not going to just keep testing until the results come up the way people want them to come up.  They are going to err on the side of caution so they can keep sailing.

It's the chance anyone cruising right now takes.  

Did you read OP's first post?  They told her she tested positive at the pier, she and her husband were denied boarding, and yesterday they sent her a letter that said there was a mistake and in fact she tested negative.  Nobody is saying they should keep testing until it comes up negative.  She was negative to begin with based on the letter she received yesterday.  This was not erring on the side of caution - this was an avoidable mistake.  

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Mary229 said:

....  They need to drop the testing requirement for full vaccinated passengers.  It is an unnecessary hardship.  

I wish everyone would write the HAL and express their opinion.  I write them monthly with my opinion. 

absolutely..... Drop the test for fully vaccinated guests

• Like 5

FDA guidance on "covid-19" testing procedures - current recommendations:  

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-emergency-use-authorizations-medical-devices/in-vitro-diagnostics-euas?ACSTrackingID=USCDC_2146-DM61940&ACSTrackingLabel=Lab Alert%3A Changes to CDC RT-PCR for SARS-CoV-2 Testing&deliveryName=USCDC_2146-DM61940

CDC dropped approval for the former "gold standard" PCR tests after Dec 31, 2021. And who can forget Elon Musk (Tesla) getting two different responses after four tests son the same day from the same lab done by the same technician - in November 2020. Two negative and two positive. 

Safety precautions obviously need serious review to catch up with emerging data, at this point in time. 

• Like 2