BLU - not to miss selections

sunnydaysmile

3 minutes ago, Yoshikitty said:

When there is nothing on the menu, that we really like, we order Filet Mignon.

Same here.  Escargot, French Onion Soup, and Filet are my go to if nothing on the menu i like, which is rare.  Often ill get the apps and entree on the Blu menu & escargot.  😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbfb said:

I surprisingly loved the Lamb Chop Salad. It had goat cheese, which I love in it and the lamb was delicious. Nice surprise! 

Just a note of caution. When any of the entrees list 'Salad' it's NOT what you're thinking. The entree is whatever the listed protein is WHOLE and then it's served with a salad plated on the same plate. In other words Lamb chop Salad is NOT a salad with slices of lamb chop in it. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Just a note of caution. When any of the entrees list 'Salad' it's NOT what you're thinking. The entree is whatever the listed protein is WHOLE and then it's served with a salad plated on the same plate. In other words Lamb chop Salad is NOT a salad with slices of lamb chop in it. 

Exactly which was my pleasant surprise! 

44 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You are defiantly correct and I have often asked for them to be plated separately and they had no problems doing so.    I don't like wilted lettuce from the heat of the protein.

4 minutes ago, sunnydaysmile said:

Was looking at the Reflection BLU menus on the app and I do not see lobster.  I also looked at the main dining menus and it is not listed.  Have they stopped serving lobster?

Don't think they have discontinued.   We had it on my past 4 cruises on final Chic night

1 hour ago, sunnydaysmile said:

Was looking at the Reflection BLU menus on the app and I do not see lobster.  I also looked at the main dining menus and it is not listed.  Have they stopped serving lobster?

Last week on the Connie-boiled in main dining and baked in Blu. I had 3 boiled served for me in Blu!

38 minutes ago, sunnydaysmile said:

@Islandbuoy- what is the difference between boiled and baked?  I never had baked.

Boiled is basically just boiled in hot water...not much flavor but is not as dried out as baked unless it's overcooked. Usually baked has some kind of stuffing with it. FYI, this is just my observation from living in FL for a while.

Edited by FLCruiser97
typo

5 hours ago, 39august said:

I would say stay away from the meat loaf. The braised short ribs are my fav;  well, other than filet and lobster. 

Oh, I remember that meat loaf. I posted on here about it looked like cat food in a container. The fancy type in a small container. It was baaaaaaaaaaad. Also yes to the braised short ribs.

Short ribs is a winner as mentioned. The lamb dishes are also excellent. French onion soup is also very good but filling.  When they have steak specials on the nightly menu, they have been excellent.

The "lobster' they serve is insulting to the lobster family.  If you do get it, make sure you get melted butter to make it taste good.  I did not care for the white cream sauce they were serving on top of the "lobster".

They do serve a lobster salad as an appetizer which is real lobster and excellent.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:57 AM, dabear said:

Besides the Blu menu, you can order anything from the main dining room menu. We usually looked at that menu before we went into Blu. 

This is not true on every class ship. Only on the ships where blu and the MDR share the same galley.

I have found that there are fewer food options in Blu and Luminae.  More choices in the MDR.  I have found that the quality of the food and service are an upgrade to the other dining venues.  There is something to be said to having a well located balcony cabin and apply the savings to specialty restaurants.

Blu has changed their menu so that it is "healthier". Which would be fine, except that when on the Equinox over the holidays, the preparation was horrible at least half the time.  One evening they served a sea bass which you needed a steak knife to cut it was so over cooked.

Except for 1 night when we received a delicious bowl of seasoned vegetables to share, vegetables were practically non-existent on most nights. One evening I received 2 snap peas. One evening nothing. I inquired and was asked if I would like a salad. The only night that was truly delicious was the lobster night. They were prepared perfectly as was the baby asparagus served with it. The rice was not worth chewing. Even the rack of lamb was fatty and grisly.

I ordered escargot most nights (because we could), which was always good.  As usual, the deserts always looked good but were not worth eating at all. Lava cake with no soft middle. Just a tough hockey puck.  The chocolate cake and cheese cake were always ok, as was the ice cream or sorbet.  Nothing else. Also, the deserts are the same in the MDR as Blu. Not sure about luminae.  In fact, except for the tarts at Cafe baccio,  deserts in general on board (no matter what the venue) are awful. Pretty, but tasteless, dry, and made with Crisco.

The cabin evening canapes were better this last time though. Last July they were truly inedible.

And I am not hard to please, but if you are going to cook...then the food should be prepared properly and properly sliced and portioned. I also think Celebrity is cutting back on the quality of the meat and fish it is sourcing and any fresh vegetables.