Crystal Refugee needs your help

CwazeAndCwaze

47 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

You are entitled to your opinion which differs greatly from mine on Crystal. I experienced none of what you did on Crystal. Just trying to set expectations. You claim SB standard much more for the money but a PH penthouse cost me same as what a standard room on SB. We will agree to disagree.

This thread is about Crystal refugees so we know what we like and do not with Crystal. Let’s get back to what newbies can expect on Seabourn.

Good grief. There is nothing I said that was not fact. There were no chocolates, no wine in the room. The cabin was much smaller…hardly a suite. The bathrooms were tiny, no walk in closet. These are important comparisons.  I don’t know how much you paid, but we never paid as much as our two cruises on Crystal. We feel SB is a much better value. 

On 2/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, nancygp said:

hanks…I’ve seen this referral thread.  I’m wondering if it’s combinable with the shipboard credit I’ll be receiving from the Amex cruise privileges program?  I did ask the question on the thread but no responses.

per seabourns website, it’s not combinable with shipboard credits from 3rd parties.  The Amex obc is slightly more.

If not answered, previously it is not combinable.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikewomb said:

Good grief. There is nothing I said that was not fact. There were no chocolates, no wine in the room. The cabin was much smaller…hardly a suite. The bathrooms were tiny, no walk in closet. These are important comparisons.  I don’t know how much you paid, but we never paid as much as our two cruises on Crystal. We feel SB is a much better value. 

I did not claim you were not factual and I said you were entitled to your opinion as I am, but you miss the point. As new to Seabourn We want to learn about Seabourn  not about what people do not like about Crystal since they obviously love Seabourn and we already know what we like and do not like on Crystal or we would not be loyal to Crystal.

I think enough has been said.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

.  And you do get treated differently on Crystal based on suite type.  PH and above can have additional reservations at the speciality restaurants w/ out having to pay - another thing I totally did not like a caste system as "mikewomb" said above.

2SailingNomads,  We never booked a cruise on Crystal because we were so happy with Seabourn (having sailed on Silversea previously).  But, I did discuss booking with Crystal with a friend who cruises a lot on all three of these cruise lines.  The discussion was about three years ago, but I seem to remember her telling me that we would have to book one of the larger suits (PH or above) on Crystal for a number of reasons.  Now--my friend can be a bit of a snob--but I seem to remember her saying that we would do excursions and such with people in our "Suite class" on Crystal.  Am I totally dreaming that?  At the time, what she told me made me think that Crystal was not our line.  

At any rate, Mr. SLSD and I have totally happy with Seabourn.  We like the fact that the line is laid back, while still having a sense of decorum.  We don't mind dressing up a bit and we have always found all of our needs met--you just have to ask for what you want.  We have loved the deck parties and other special events.  We have enjoyed the other guests from all over the world.  We have found them friendly and engaging.  We keep in contact with number of them.  

I think Crystal cruisers will not really know which line they will like best until they try them.  If is entirely possible that some will prefer Silversea.  (However, I think they will be very disappointed in entertainment).  I just hope that all find a line that they enjoy.  

17 minutes ago, SLSD said:

2SailingNomads,  We never booked a cruise on Crystal because we were so happy with Seabourn (having sailed on Silversea previously).  But, I did discuss booking with Crystal with a friend who cruises a lot on all three of these cruise lines.  The discussion was about three years ago, but I seem to remember her telling me that we would have to book one of the larger suits (PH or above) on Crystal for a number of reasons.  Now--my friend can be a bit of a snob--but I seem to remember her saying that we would do excursions and such with people in our "Suite class" on Crystal.  Am I totally dreaming that?  At the time, what she told me made me think that Crystal was not our line.  

At any rate, Mr. SLSD and I have totally happy with Seabourn.  We like the fact that the line is laid back, while still having a sense of decorum.  We don't mind dressing up a bit and we have always found all of our needs met--you just have to ask for what you want.  We have loved the deck parties and other special events.  We have enjoyed the other guests from all over the world.  We have found them friendly and engaging.  We keep in contact with number of them.  

I think Crystal cruisers will not really know which line they will like best until they try them.  If is entirely possible that some will prefer Silversea.  (However, I think they will be very disappointed in entertainment).  I just hope that all find a line that they enjoy.  

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that Those of us that loved Crystal need to try other Luxury lines and I am sure we will like Seabourn because we are open minded and know that Seabourn or any luxury cruise line is not perfect and there will be things we like and things we do not like just like on Crystal.

For the record, what you love about Seabourn we love about Crystal. Believe me there is no Caste system on Crystal and nobody knows what stateroom you are in unless you tell them. There is no distinction once you leave your room as to how you are treated by crew and other passengers. Unfortunately for those of us that love Crystal we will have to try other luxury lines as I doubt Crystal will survive or at least as it once was.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

I did not claim you were not factual and I said you were entitled to your opinion as I am, but you miss the point. As new to Seabourn We want to learn about Seabourn  not about what people do not like about Crystal since they obviously love Seabourn and we already know what we like and do not like on Crystal or we would not be loyal to Crystal.

I think enough has been said.

This is the Seabourn board, and there are significant differences, those are facts. You don’t need a

penthouse, all of the suites are comfortable and well laid out.  I didn’t chime in on entertainment, but we never went because in the evening we would go up to the lounge and visit with friends until the wee hours.  We are not entertainment junkies unless it is something really special.   We preferred the  Colonnade restaurant as it was more casual and we thought the food was better. The main DR was loud due to the high ceilings, and we though Thomas Keller was overrated.

We have done a Caribbean, Pacific Coast, Montreal to Newfoundland, and one other..all were excellent .

my husband did the laundry and said it was very well laid out. 

if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. I just remembered they have one error in the bar…they serve cosmos in a champagne glass, so I have to ask for a martini glass, and they make some great guacamole. 

There is nothing pretentious about Seabourn…they do it right. 

35 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Now--my friend can be a bit of a snob--but I seem to remember her saying that we would do excursions and such with people in our "Suite class" on Crystal.  Am I totally dreaming that?  At the time, what she told me made me think that Crystal was not our line. 

Not true!  Your friend must have misspoke. 

Crystal excursions were operated just like those on Seabourn with no regard to suite privilege or guest status.  The only difference, which was actually in Crystal's favor, was guests could book an excursion in advance without pre-payment.

Seabourn and Crystal have been our favorite lines for several years.  We chose either depending on timing and itinerary.  Both deliver an excellent luxury cruise experience but there was a subtle difference in the on-board atmosphere.  The vibe on Seabourn is casual and laid back, likely a reflection of the younger staff who tend to be friendly and familiar.  Officers, staff and crew are quite accessible and they engage with guests in a very proactive way.  On Crystal, the vibe was more reserved, though not stuffy or uptight.  Service seemed a bit more polished and professional, perhaps because of the large contingent of older long-time staff. 

Hearing bits & pieces of others' experiences is interesting to a point, but only matters if their priorities and values match yours.  In the end, the only opinion that really counts is your own.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Crystal excursions were operated just like those on Seabourn with no regard to suite privilege or guest status.  The only difference, which was actually in Crystal's favor, was guests could book an excursion in advance without pre-payment.

Seabourn and Crystal have been our favorite lines for several years.  We chose either depending on timing and itinerary.  Both deliver an excellent luxury cruise experience but there was a subtle difference in the on-board atmosphere.  The vibe on Seabourn is casual and laid back, likely a reflection of the younger staff who tend to be friendly and familiar.  Officers, staff and crew are quite accessible and they engage with guests in a very proactive way.  On Crystal, the vibe was more reserved, though not stuffy or uptight.  Service seemed a bit more polished and professional, perhaps because of the large contingent of older long-time staff. 

Hearing bits & pieces of others' experiences is interesting to a point, but only matters if their priorities and values match yours.  In the end, the only opinion that really counts is your own.

Well said Mighty! Going on Seabourn next month…all our Crystal bookings out there in ether . 
What are your thoughts on the long Seabourn cruises? We are looking at the Vancouver to Sydney Grand Voyage….not sure yet because it really looks like half the Crystal WC 2023 which we booked on and still hoping to go on.

13 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Totally agree with you. Your experience on both lines match many others I found in my Research which is why we chose Seabourn to try first. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Well said Mighty! Going on Seabourn next month…all our Crystal bookings out there in ether . 
What are your thoughts on the long Seabourn cruises? We are looking at the Vancouver to Sydney Grand Voyage….not sure yet because it really looks like half the Crystal WC 2023 which we booked on and still hoping to go on.

Hiya Emdee!  How long is the Grand Voyage?  We really enjoy longer cruises but have not yet ventured onto anything really extensive.  Our longest SB cruises were 43 days on Odyssey (Fiji-LA-Panama Canal-FLL) and 32-days on Encore (Auckland-Sydney-Benoa).  The Odyssey was a particular hit with us, not just for the itinerary but the excellent line-up of guest speakers and many of our favorite staff were onboard.  SB also did some wonderful events for B2B guests that made it very special.  We were less enchanted with Encore, even though it was a boss itinerary.  We loved the TK Grill Bar and the Sushi Restaurant, but other than that, we really missed the smaller O class ships. 

I hope your Crystal 2023 WC is a go.  Lots of time for good stuff to happen yet!

First off welcome all Crystal refugees, I hope you like Seabourn 1/2 much as we do.  And we enjoyed our Crystal cruises but having come from sailing Seabourn many times there were things we did not like, and no doubt you will find things on Seabourn you don't like coming from Crystal.  To be honest certain things we preferred on Crystal, like the live music starting mid-morning on sea days which we loved when weather was inclement, along w/ the ability to walk all the way around the ship outside for exercise.  Service was IMO comparable on both lines, although our Crystal ocean stewardess was one of the least friendly people I've ever met on a ship.  And I give Crystal the edge when it comes to coffee.  But big time points to Seabourn for having outside bars; sailaway parties; dancing under the stars; other events that allow people to socialize, etc. 

I will just state this in reply to the comment above:

"For the record, what you love about Seabourn we love about Crystal. Believe me there is no Caste system on Crystal and nobody knows what stateroom you are in unless you tell them."

I have to disagree as the following comments are based on those in PH and above vs. below category (which we took not realizing how small the room was nor the less than equal amenities):

If not in a PH Specialty restaurants charge once you exceed the 2 or 3 dining visits - we had 3 based on the length of our cruise visits.  No butler - although on the river cruise everyone had a butler.  So no afternoon canapes unless in a PH. Only PH and above can order room service from specialty restaurants.  As someone mentioned earlier, we too not having a PH, had NO liquor in our room and had to negotiate w/ the stewardess to get some.  So IMO there is a clear difference based on the category one pays on Crystal as to how they are treated.  JMO.

Edited by 2SailingNomads
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, mikewomb said:

I realize on Crystal we were just in a cat B..deluxe balcony, …I think those things I mentioned should be SOP.

But they're not -- regardless of what class of cabin you book.  You think they should be SOP, I think they shouldn't, and making them SOP would be a waste of chocolate and wine.  I think it's a much better system to tell your cabin attendant what you'd like on Day 1,  and then have it waiting for you.   Different strokes, different lines.   To me, that's better service, because you get what you want, not what they think you'll want. 

On 2/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, travelwell said:

The laundry rooms are not as large as Crystal’s laundry rooms but the passenger load less.

I just realized that posts here say there's one self serve laundry room on the ship (!), with 5 (sets of) machines - that's really very few for the passenger load of 600.  It's really obvious that it was an ill-considered afterthought.  

I'll pack accordingly 🙂   Happy to even think about packing, after too many years. 

33 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I just realized that posts here say there's one self serve laundry room on the ship (!), with 5 (sets of) machines - that's really very few for the passenger load of 600.  It's really obvious that it was an ill-considered afterthought.  

I'll pack accordingly 🙂   Happy to even think about packing, after too many years. 

Better yet, let Seabourn do your laundry for you.   You can send out their laundry bag STUFFED with laundry for $50.00.  It is well worth it and SB did a lovely job.  Things are returned either folded or hanging in your closet.  You would be amazed what one laundry bag can hold.  A word of warning though---be sure to list each item--they require it.  In a comedy of errors, I miscounted my husband's pairs of socks--and that delayed getting the laundry done until I counted them correctly.   With a certain number of days, you get a laundry bag done for no charge.  I look forward to that perk on our next cruise. 

Edited by SLSD

3 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

First off welcome all Crystal refugees, I hope you like Seabourn 1/2 much as we do.  And we enjoyed our Crystal cruises but having come from sailing Seabourn many times there were things we did not like, and no doubt you will find things on Seabourn you don't like coming from Crystal.  To be honest certain things we preferred on Crystal, like the live music starting mid-morning on sea days which we loved when weather was inclement, along w/ the ability to walk all the way around the ship outside for exercise.  Service was IMO comparable on both lines, although our Crystal ocean stewardess was one of the least friendly people I've ever met on a ship.  And I give Crystal the edge when it comes to coffee.  But big time points to Seabourn for having outside bars; sailaway parties; dancing under the stars; other events that allow people to socialize, etc. 

I will just state this in reply to the comment above:

"For the record, what you love about Seabourn we love about Crystal. Believe me there is no Caste system on Crystal and nobody knows what stateroom you are in unless you tell them."

I have to disagree as the following comments are based on those in PH and above vs. below category (which we took not realizing how small the room was nor the less than equal amenities):

If not in a PH Specialty restaurants charge once you exceed the 2 or 3 dining visits - we had 3 based on the length of our cruise visits.  No butler - although on the river cruise everyone had a butler.  So no afternoon canapes unless in a PH. Only PH and above can order room service from specialty restaurants.  As someone mentioned earlier, we too not having a PH, had NO liquor in our room and had to negotiate w/ the stewardess to get some.  So IMO there is a clear difference based on the category one pays on Crystal as to how they are treated.  JMO.

I said once you leave your stateroom you are treated the same regardless what category Suite you are in. My definition of a caste system is you are treated differently by the crew and cruise line after you leave your room and others notice it. The majority of Crystal regulars will tell you that is not the case regardless of what stateroom they are in. If you want to debate it based on semantics that is your right so we will agree to disagree. Yes in a Penthouse suite you get extras that you pay for just like upper suites on Seabourn get extra services in their suite. You obviously want the last word on this debate so continue as I have said all I am going to say on this thread.

Hi all - I'm a newbie (aka refugee) here.

Will I be able to request a standing order for say, fresh fruit in the suite? Or for an evening order of popcorn/nuts?

Or a kettle to boil water? Or a water filter to be installed in the shower? Or a bottle of distilled water for a CPAP?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I usually throw a load, mostly underwear into self serve laundry every 5-7 days. I have always found an empty machine. Crystal had a larger laundry room and seemed busier though I never waited for a machine on that line either. We do send a good bit of clothing for Seabourn to wash including some dry cleaning. Years ago I wasted about 4 hours waiting in line for a machine on a mainstream line while my DH spent the morning relaxing. I said never again! I do suspect ( and hope) laundry will be included down the road as it is on another lux line.

8 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

I don’t understand why people are equating perks or amenities you pay for when booking a PH or above on Crystal with how passengers are treated on the ship. Two very different things. 

The point is that these amenities are given to EVERYONE on a Seabourn ship no matter which suite you book.  Everyone has the same amenities--aside from the extra space of a larger suite.  Everyone can order the same food, has chocolates, liquor in suite, same reservations policies for premium restaurant, etc.  No one has to pay extra for these things.  

20 hours ago, mikewomb said:

These are important comparisons.  

Well, they're valid comparisons -- whether or not they're important is a personal choice.  They're important comparisons to you.   For instance, whether or not I get a walk in closet or chocolates on my pillow are unimportant to me.

6 minutes ago, SLSD said:

The point is that these amenities are given to EVERYONE on a Seabourn ship no matter which suite you book.

But amenities are not about how someone is treated.  In fact, if everyone gets the same amenities, they're meaningless in terms of any kind of "caste" system, and all the matters is how one is treated.  Neither of you are wrong, but your two comments (amenities vs treatment) are unrelated. 

Edited by calliopecruiser

10 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

But they're not -- regardless of what class of cabin you book.  You think they should be SOP, I think they shouldn't, and making them SOP would be a waste of chocolate and wine.  I think it's a much better system to tell your cabin attendant what you'd like on Day 1,  and then have it waiting for you.   Different strokes, different lines.   To me, that's better service, because you get what you want, not what they think you'll want. 

I am telling you my opinion. You know what they say about opinions. The service on Crystal was dismal, and we left the ship some days before it was to dock. If you don’t like my opinions, then don’t read them.

Good morning all: As a relatively recent corporate retiree, with limited holiday/vacation time,  my last (only) Crystal cruise (Venice-Balcelona onboard the Crystal Serenity) was just over 10 years ago and it was truly fantastic - the whole thing (passengers, crew, activities, food, excursions) was truly fantastic and I became a Crystal fan. My last two cruises (with 3 more booked) are with Seabourn. I can't speak to what Crystal has been in the interim, but Seabourn (in my opinion) just "feels" more akin to belonging to a good family, that I keep coming back (it is hard to put into words). Historically (again, I can't speak to recent years), Crystal has had on-board activities/experiences (keyboard, art, computer center, speakers, etc.) that I don't think SB can match - but Crystal felt more (again, my feeling (ymmv)) as though you are "playing dress-up", while SB feels more natural and comfortable.  Everything that others have shared (cabin size (SB>Crystal), minimal food differences (SB=Crystal), On-board activities (SB<Crystal), Service (SB~~Crystal (subjective)), are probably true. Personally, I believe that the Crystal refugees will be happy with SB, but it is all about setting reasonable expectations -> the two are not the same and it is not fair to expect the same. Personally,  I believe that Crystal, with all the on-board "stuff", would have been better for long trips, with many sea days, but that said, I have voted for SB as it "fits" me better.