The Daily for Sunday 01/30/2022

richwmn

23 minutes ago, summer slope said:

To make your own simple syrup, combine 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup distilled water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.

When I was 16 I begged and lied my way into a job at a restaurant and nightclub owned by three Greek brothers.  I told them I had waitressed before (lie) and figured I would dazzle them with my skills.  Well I was wrong but they had warm hearts behind their gruff exteriors and they kept me on and taught me the ropes.  One time, someone asked for a lemonade.  I couldn’t find it so I asked Danny (front of house owner).  He showed me how to make simple syrup, squeeze a fresh lemon on the manual machine, then top up the glass with soda water from the fountain.  He also made me one to try.  I was amazed at how delicious it was!  That was a real eye-opener for me.

@dfish/everyone, horseradish potatoes are really quite delicious!  I remember turning my nose up at them, once, but my friend had ordered them and gave me a taste.  I learned not to knock it until you’ve tried it.  lol

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

I'm wondering how people multiquote from different pages.? I have tried a few times but once I go to a different page the ones from the previous page disappear.

Click on the “+” sign as you’re reading through the thread and find something you want to quote.  You will see the “+” turn into a ✔️.  When you’re ready to reply, if you look to the bottom right-hand side of your screen you’ll see a little bubble saying “Quote 3 posts” (or however many posts you’ve added).  Click on that and the posts will appear in your response.  

5DEDBFA8-5712-4CB8-86D2-FC995D85231C.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all! Going to be a nice day in TN today - in the 50s. 

Interesting collection of days. I have heard some really interesting answering machine messages in my day, for sure. I was in the Sound of Music play in high school and recall the girl playing Maria having a blast with the lonely goatherd song. I’d like to escape to a cruise right now, but that is coming soon. 

Interesting quote. Compare the beauty ideals from Marilyn’s day with now - women were allowed to be “padded” and still be considered beautiful. Now there’s too much emphasis on being skinny. 

The meal sounds delicious but not so much the drink and wine. 

I would like to visit Malta one day. The pictures look very nice. 

• Like 26

Thanks for the daily report!  I looked at previous days posts about finding cake recipe and spent too much time reading some great recipes!  The cake with coffee and rum looked great.  I also found one https://feeling foolish.com/Italian-rum-cake/ that I may try!

• Like 24

Last week a rather mid sized black and white cat had begun hanging out in our yard, and I was taking food up the hill near the shrubbery where I thought it had been hunkering down.  Then last night I looked out the back door, and there was a white cat with black ears and black tail staring at one of the ferals who sleeps at the back door.  I opened the door, and it took off.  

I swear that the feral cats put out a sign at night that there is free food and drink here, and they are running some kind of  restaurant.  

@kazu  I am sorry that you are snowed in.  I'm sure you and Marley will be reprieved soon. 

and my Floridian friends,  I am sorry that you are getting frozen down south.  Layers.  that's all i can suggest.  Our house was built in the 60's, i have no idea if any insulation was ever put in.  the heater is on pretty much all the time, and the fire that we started yesterday, I have managed to restart this morning.  Have just enough fire wood left to keep us somewhat warm until about 11 a.m.  At which time, I have to go out and pay bills.  

We are walking with friends today, it should be in the upper 40's and i was going to take DH out for dinner, but then found out that this year, he really is enjoying football, and he wants to watch the games, so maybe no dinner tonight?  We did have steak and mashed potatoes last night...yummy.  My green add on, was sliced avocado with Greek dressing.  

Have a great day everyone!  Remember the snow will melt, the air will warm, and we will all be cussing at the heat this summer.😁

• Like 29

2 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Interesting collection of days. 

Steak and potatoes sound great. I would add a vegetable for myself.

I'm wondering how people multiquote from different pages.? I have tried a few times but once I go to a different page the ones from the previous page disappear.

We did get some snow yesterday morning just before daybreak and it was a very cold day, but the sun came out and melted all the white stuff away. Today it is supposed to get into the low 50's and a mild week is forecasted for us.

The grouting process continues. Of course this afternoon and this evening we will be watching football.

@grapau27Graham, thank you for sharing the sermon.

Have a blessed Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on

2 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Interesting collection of days. 

Steak and potatoes sound great. I would add a vegetable for myself.

We did get some snow yesterday morning just before daybreak and it was a very cold day, but the sun came out and melted all the white stuff away. Today it is supposed to get into the low 50's and a mild week is forecasted for us.

The grouting process continues. Of course this afternoon and this evening we will be watching football.

@grapau27Graham, thank you for sharing the sermon.

Have a blessed Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

our lists.

Hi Julia.

I just click on the + button of every post then click on the Quote button when I'm ready to quote.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220130_150611_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220130_150101_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. We were 4 degrees warmer than @mamaofami this morning at 12.The ice melt on the steps was of course frozen so the desperate doggies and I were very careful on the first outing of the day.I carefully dried and inspected all eight paws upon our return indoors.

@kazu,I am sorry about Marley’s  limp and the over abundant  snow. Hopefully the folks you hired are able to get to you soon.I was very happy to hear Jose answers the phone now.

I would love today’s  meal but think I will wait another day before trying  to get to a store.I am trying  to find out how my southeastern Mass relatives are as they got the nasty winds and 2 feet of snow.My New Hampshire family "only" got a foot.We had a mere 9 inches here.

I have not been to Malta but look  forward to pictures.

Stay safe everyone 

Terry

• Like 26

On Tuesday we had a little discussion about having a 'Dailyite' dinner, and @Sharon in AZ wrote:

Rich, about the dinner— maybe we could plan on Tuesday October 11th (sea day) or Wednesday October 12th (Gaspe, all aboard 3:00 pm). October 13th is Charlottetown and all aboard is later, 6:00 pm.

I would like to propose Wednesday Oct 12th, Pinnacle Grill at 6pm. If those who wish to participate would email me (screen name here at gmail dot com) I will contact the ship to set it up. If someone would like to propose a different date/time/venue we can discuss it here.

On answering machine messages, mine just says - 'Feel free to leave a message'. A long time ago I learned that I could set my default ring to 'off' and assign personal ring tones to people in my address book that I wish to talk to. Anyone not assigned a ring tone goes to voice mail. That has worked well for me for a long time. It also gets checked each time I get a new phone because I have to set the personal ring tones again for each new phone.

• Like 28

Good Morning from a sunny but cool day at the beach

I think we were the only place in Florida that did not have a freeze. We are on the barrier islands so it only got down to 38! LOL. It is warming nicely, suppose to hit 60 this afternoon and the rest of the week looks good. No swimming for me today but may do a beach walk later. Bundled up though.

Rocket launch scheduled again for this evening. Sure hope it goes, been delayed 3 times due to winds.

I would love that meal today, sounds really good.

Never been to Malta , maybe someday! It seems I say that a lot!    Thanks for the pictures.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 26

“Yo, you know the drill” is one inane answering machine message I’ll never forget 🤪. I also ignore calls that we don’t recognize and pick up if we know them and they’re leaving a message. If the television is on the name/number is posted on the screen. I’m amazed how many “people” want to buy our home. 

• Like 26

1 minute ago, Suslor said:

“Yo, you know the drill” is one inane answering machine message I’ll never forget 🤪. I also ignore calls that we don’t recognize and pick up if we know them and they’re leaving a message. If the television is on the name/number is posted on the screen. I’m amazed how many “people” want to buy our home. 

I’m amazed at how many homes I own in Texas!

• Like 10
  • Haha 14

If DH and i can ever find the way to change the message, we would.

It would say the following-the house is not for sale,  cars are over 10 years old,  the warranty expired years ago, we do not have mesh problems from a hernia, and we have nothing right now for any charity, we are working at home-so if you are not family, friend, or our dr's office. hang up and go away.

did I forget anyone? we get 7-8 calls about selling our house.  my friend Penny says this is the way that foreign countries will be buying up land in America.  She is a conspiracy theorist,  but i have heard this from other people too.  I also answer all calls- how else can i tell someone to put me on their do not call list.   I've been a telemarketer for a long time on and off between "real" jobs...hint, answer the phone and tell the person that you want to be put on the "do not call list" , otherwise, we will call you for months. Not our choice, it's just that you are in a computer, and you just become the next call, over and over, and over, unless you tell us you are not interested.  Sorry in advance.

However this hasn't worked with the house calls.  They want to buy my house, and I tell them I will sell it for one million dollars.  Of course it's not worth that, but it is an interestingly landscaped property, and they could put 6 tiny houses on the property, and make a ton of money.

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

The series ends…

1719AC10-DF33-44FF-9D40-15B304F66DB0.jpeg.c7159ee69a44a074218a87e2fe0588f8.jpeg

EA563784-ADAD-4D68-BE0F-4A9D2B5BEA4E.jpeg.f00ccef5ae0cfc91610faad007e12b6e.jpeg

54C6BA4D-89D3-4E99-A570-BD4247ABEBEA.jpeg.4391538cb8ac3992caac901d3dfaadfd.jpeg

I have been enjoying the different series of memes. Thank you.

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Want to come to Florida? Maybe not as it’s 28 F here this morning! I often wonder who the heck thought up some of these days we are supposed to recognize little less celebrate?😁

Well, We are pumped about our upcoming cruise on the Azamara Quest. We came to realize that two days after our return home from this cruise we were getting back on a plane and flying to Fort Lauderdale for a two week back to back on the Rotterdam.

So we cancelled our flights home and back to Fort Lauderdale and now will hire transportation from Miami to Fort Lauderdale and spend a couple of days at the Renaissance before boarding the Rotterdam. Life is good.

Getting ready for on-line church service. Thanks Rich and Roy and to all who made me laugh this morning with your contributions.

Sounds like an excellent plan. I am also very interested in your review of the Azamara cruise.

1 hour ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thanks for the daily report!  I looked at previous days posts about finding cake recipe and spent too much time reading some great recipes!  The cake with coffee and rum looked great.  I also found one https://feeling foolish.com/Italian-rum-cake/ that I may try!

I agree that cake with coffee and rum sounds delicious. Definitely try the Italian rum cake, you won't regret it.

51 minutes ago, richwmn said:

On Tuesday we had a little discussion about having a 'Dailyite' dinner, and @Sharon in AZ

On answering machine messages, mine just says - 'Feel free to leave a message'. A long time ago I learned that I could set my default ring to 'off' and assign personal ring tones to people in my address book that I wish to talk to. Anyone not assigned a ring tone goes to voice mail. That has worked well for me for a long time. It also gets checked each time I get a new phone because I have to set the personal ring tones again for each new phone.

Well, I can't get the tag to delete...

Anyway, I have the same setup, Rich. A designated ringtone for those I always want to answer. If they don't have one they can leave a message.

It looks like the quotes are all here from both pages. 🎉 I don't know what I was doing wrong to make them disappear when I changed pages, but seems to be working now. Thanks to all who posted instructions and tips for me. 

• Like 22