Wondering on longer cruises

CAVE MAN

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The reality of cruising today on Princess is that some folks dress-up and others do not dress-up.  That is the case on short cruises and even the longest cruises.   On our recent (Dec) Enchanted Princess cruise we found it amusing that on our first 10 day voyage we had the worst dressed crowd we have seen in over forty years of extensive cruising.  But on the second 10 day cruise (back to backs) there was an obvious improvement in the dress of our fellow passengers (perhaps they were not raised by wolves).  

As to dress code enforcement, it was non-existent on the regular "smart casual" evenings.  On formal nights we did see a few men denied entry into the Capri Dining Room because they were wearing shorts.  

Hank

I'm happy to hear that Princess dress code hasn't changed a bit since we last sailed. 

It's still as formal or casual as you like giving no preference to either group. 

Part of the cruise experience, for us, is to get dressed up and enjoy seeing others dressed as well.  It doesn't matter to us if others choose to be more casual.  My husband's tux doesn't take up any more space or weight than his suit does so he chooses his tux.  Our experience on Cunard was such fun and we were happy that they are still holding the dress code.   

• Like 5

I did not find that to be the case on our transatlantic from Spain.  I will mention that when we cruised RT out of Southampton there did seem to be a dressier group on board.  Maybe there were more Brits on board and they tend to not dress as casual as us Americans in general.  

17 hours ago, no1talks said:

If they are still in business when we've retired, Cunard is already on our to-do list.

Cunard have been sailing for 182 years, Princess 57 years both within Carnival Corporation. I should think it likely they will continue within our life times.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Casual is more our preference. Formal wear takes up too much space the suitcase.

It’s the greedy airlines’ fault: they make millions on luggage fees, which is why we fly Southwest. Two bags free.

We  take the tux which is a pain, but if we don’t we invariably get caught out if it’s not to hand. I learned, finally, to tie the « real » bow tie on the QM2 in Dec. Funny: all the other men we asked pointed out their elastic under collar snaps. I would guess that about 70% of men were in formal mode and...many of the women were in long dresses out of the 30s: they looked so sweet. That’s the Queen.

OH, looking through a window into the Queens Grill we saw a dude definitely not in kit: we learned later that there was a rock star on board😅

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

YES!!! Hats have no place in dining establishments.

Of course. We came from the Lido deck and he forgot. It was noon.

The point was that they are not just allowing anyone and everyone to wander into the dining room.

• Like 1