Wondering on longer cruises

CAVE MAN

36 minutes ago, memoak said:

I haven’t worn a tux in many years and take a lot of 14-21 day cruises. Long sleeve button down  slacks and maybe a sports jacket 

We were on the Apex Transatlantic in October. We were surprise how many men wore tuxedos. My husband was disappointed he didn't bring his.

Thank you for your reply.

• Like 2

The reality of cruising today on Princess is that some folks dress-up and others do not dress-up.  That is the case on short cruises and even the longest cruises.   On our recent (Dec) Enchanted Princess cruise we found it amusing that on our first 10 day voyage we had the worst dressed crowd we have seen in over forty years of extensive cruising.  But on the second 10 day cruise (back to backs) there was an obvious improvement in the dress of our fellow passengers (perhaps they were not raised by wolves).  

As to dress code enforcement, it was non-existent on the regular "smart casual" evenings.  On formal nights we did see a few men denied entry into the Capri Dining Room because they were wearing shorts.  

Hank

My Dh wears his tux on formal nights, and turns out quite nicely on other nights as well; we enjoy the dressing up (yes, we like going back to the old days of cruising when it comes to the nightly meal). Others will disagree, some may say they think it's dowdy, we don't care! Bring on the glitz and glamor! Celebrate, you're on a cruise ffs!!! Cheers to dressing to the nines if you like! (Refer to my avatar for a glimpse)🥂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

To answer your question, we found that there is a higher percentage of tuxedos on itineraries like TAs. The fewest percentage were on Mexican Riviera and Caribbean. I think one reason is that a TA is sometimes part of a world cruise. Many days to wear it makes it worth packing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

My Dh wears his tux on formal nights, and turns out quite nicely on other nights as well; we enjoy the dressing up (yes, we like going back to the old days of cruising when it comes to the nightly meal). Others will disagree, some may say they think it's dowdy, we don't care! Bring on the glitz and glamor! Celebrate, you're on a cruise ffs!!! Cheers to dressing to the nines if you like! (Refer to my avatar for a glimpse)🥂

I Agree!!! We have such few times to enjoy getting formal. You are in a beautiful dinning room, lovely linen tablecloths, interesting china, and many courses.  Many times we have had Maitre d's thank us for looking so nice.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, memoak said:

I haven’t worn a tux in many years and take a lot of 14-21 day cruises. Long sleeve button down  slacks and maybe a sports jacket 

Agree….we do too and I have seen a lot less tux.s because it seems like some passengers are worried about suitcase weight on international flights…..most Princess TA’s are not part of a World Cruise…..

Edited by PrincessLuver

Living in Florida, everything is so casual that cruising is about the only time we get to really dress up. Haven't had the chance to take a longer cruise than 7 days yet since I just retired, but once the DW retires I will still take the tux on the cruises  🤣

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I wore tuxes quite a bit when I much younger, working in fine dining establishments, or performing in a concerts and recitals.

It's the last thing I want to wear while on vacation.

I think that’s a big part. People who have to dress all the time want a vacation from it. People who never have a chance want to dress.

we opted not to, and went specialty on formal nights.

We just got off The Enchanted. We saw a few tuxes and a very nice kilt.

Personally, I think a tux in The Caribbean is a little weird. In one particular country, Bermuda shorts are formal wear.

Edited by Kmkub
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The reality of cruising today on Princess is that some folks dress-up and others do not dress-up.  That is the case on short cruises and even the longest cruises.   On our recent (Dec) Enchanted Princess cruise we found it amusing that on our first 10 day voyage we had the worst dressed crowd we have seen in over forty years of extensive cruising.  But on the second 10 day cruise (back to backs) there was an obvious improvement in the dress of our fellow passengers (perhaps they were not raised by wolves).  

As to dress code enforcement, it was non-existent on the regular "smart casual" evenings.  On formal nights we did see a few men denied entry into the Capri Dining Room because they were wearing shorts.  

Hank

We are just off Enchanted. We did not have the same experience. I saw no shorts in MDR.

At lunch in Capris, my husband was asked to remove his hat.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jwattle said:

I do not begrudge other passengers their casual attire after 6 pm. However, for myself, I'm in complete complete agreement with you.

I pull out all the stops, just for the fun of it. Three black tie sets,  so I can tux up every evening.

Regular tux.

Ivory dinner jacket.

Fashion-forward tux for formal night.

We drive to the port, so the extra garment bag isn't an expense.

Why would I travel 1000s of miles, without any land in sight, just to dress like I'm at Olive Garden?

Edited by no1talks
Spelling.
  • Like 6

I agree with just do you.  I remember my first Cunard cruise where you had  to dress  formal every night.  I felt like I was a little girl again playing dress up with my mother’s clothes (anyone remember a stole that still had animal head?). 

I have an entire closet that are my cruise clothes 😁. I had so much fun selecting clothes for the Enchanted NYE cruise out of that closet….After 2 years I had forgotten so many pieces.  And some still had tags on them for what I had bought for the 2020 cruises.😞

Everything is casual  now - even church - 

I love seeing the lovely ladies in their beautiful gowns and sarees and jewelry and the handsome men in white dinner jackets or tuxedo.  And the kilts, oh my.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, gardenbunny said:

I agree with just do you.  I remember my first Cunard cruise where you had  to dress  formal every night.  I felt like I was a little girl again playing dress up with my mother’s clothes (anyone remember a stole that still had animal head?). 

I have an entire closet that are my cruise clothes 😁. I had so much fun selecting clothes for the Enchanted NYE cruise out of that closet….After 2 years I had forgotten so many pieces.  And some still had tags on them for what I had bought for the 2020 cruises.😞

I love seeing the lovely ladies in their beautiful gowns and sarees and jewelry and the handsome men in white dinner jackets or tuxedo.  And the kilts, oh my.

We got gussied up for the first time in a long time on our NYE cruise on the Sky!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, no1talks said:

I do not begrudge other passengers their casual attire after 6 pm. However, for myself, I'm in complete complete agreement with you.

I pull out all the stops, just for the fun of it. Three black tie sets,  so I can tux up every evening.

Regular tux.

Ivory dinner jacket.

Fashion-forward tux for formal night.

We drive to the port, so the extra garment bag isn't an expense.

Why would I travel 1000s of miles, without any land in sight, just to dress like I'm at Olive Garden?

You guys would love Cunard cruising then!!  QM2 sounds like it's right up your alley!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, no1talks said:

If they are still in business when we've retired, Cunard is already on our to-do list.

We may see you there.

Like you, what other do doesn't bother is.

We just enjoy "doing it up proper". 😍

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kmkub said:

We are just off Enchanted. We did not have the same experience. I saw no shorts in MDR.

At lunch in Capris, my husband was asked to remove his hat.

I've worn hats ever since I left the Army....they often remind me to remove my hat when I enter the MDR....lol....They just seem to be attached to my head.

5 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

I am enjoying the fantasy that some of you project that formal nights  on a 7 day or 10 day Princess cruise is equivalent to the Red Carpet at Cannes or the Academy Awards….. it is usually a bunch of middle age or older people in dowdy old formal clothes at best…. Love it……