Straws/Paper or Plastic ???

Old Soulja

So, I was thinking about our last  X cruise.

Do you hate the paper straws as much as we do ?

I know its an environmental move to switch from plastic to paper, which is good, but...

We were thinking about bringing our own straws, plastic, rubber and metal re-usable.

Do you think X will object ?

22 minutes ago, Old Soulja said:

I know its an environmental move to switch from plastic to paper, which is good, but...

We were thinking about bringing our own straws, plastic, rubber and metal re-usable.

Just don't tell them

• Like 1

I guess I am showing my age, but when I was a kid there were ONLY paper straws, in school, at the drug store soda fountain etc.  Never heard anyone complain about them, then again, if one tries to take my HDTV color TV away from me, better be afraid.  

• Like 6

Don't think they care, just don't do refill cups/thermos from the machines. 

Considering all of Celebrity's sanitation efforts I always roll my eyes at their drink station hygiene...

Metal straws work well when you really need one. I'm used to not using a straw and find it annoying some restaurants automatically throw a plastic straw in sodas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keesar said:

Drink directly  out of the glass or plastic cups.  Straws will give you gas.

Lol. Now there's an old wives tale I haven't heard in years. My granny used to say that. She also said ice in your drinks was bad for your stomach. Yet she'd gulp down 3 scoops of ice cream faster than anyone I knew.

2 hours ago, Old Soulja said:

They will only object if you start sharing your used straw with lots of other people. 

Be selfish. don't share your straw! 🥤

😁

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I guess I am showing my age, but when I was a kid there were ONLY paper straws, in school, at the drug store soda fountain etc.  Never heard anyone complain about them, then again, if one tries to take my HDTV color TV away from me, better be afraid.  

And the funnel. 

On 1/30/2022 at 5:01 PM, sunlover33 said:

Why do people need straws? Surely that’s what your lips are for, to fit around a cup / glass?

We too never use straws.  The reason their use is favored by restaurants and bars is to lessen the chance of passing micro-organisms from one patron to the next.  Sometimes the washing of glasses is done in a cursory fashion (especially in land-based taverns), so bacteria/viruses/etc. from saliva may remain on a glass.

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:39 PM, keesar said:

Drink directly  out of the glass or plastic cups.  Straws will give you gas.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:53 PM, mom says said:

Lol. Now there's an old wives tale I haven't heard in years. ...

Actually, "keesar," you are correct -- not passing along "an old wives' tale."  Your comment is confirmed about 1/3 of the way down this page (not to mention that it is confirmed by your and our personal experience):  https://www.healthline.com/health/drinking-through-a-straw

• Haha 1

Straws are called straws because they were originally a straw.  The straw was the stalk of a grain.  Someone found that they could be used as a drinking tool.  

One  problem with a straw is that whole dining and sucking on one it can cause choking  as you  are sucking on the drink with food in your mouth causing the food to get sucked  into your windpipe.  That is why there are so many issues with choking in restaurants.

Hard noodles were also used as straws. 

Those straws were replaced by paper straws and then plastic 

They all serve a useful function.  During the summer time it is recommended when drinking any liquid out of a can to use a straw to prevent swallowing a bee/ Yellowjacket that may have gotten in the can

I would just use the paper straw and if you need a other ask for it or take one from the bar.  Why would you want to carry your own straws?   Keep life simple 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:35 PM, mom says said:

Bring your own if you want, but please don't use plastic and contribute to the environmental damage. If you don't like the mouth feel of glass or metal, consider getting some bamboo ones. Reusable and biodegradable. 

Plastic does not harm the environment if you have proper disposal.  I'm sure Celebrity uses proper disposal practices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3