First Time Suite-Tips

Robert_fromthe_South

We have always had great service from the cabin attendant and Butler and have tipped them extra.  We tip bartenders  and/sommlier’s at bars or dining rooms we frequent regularly . If we have asked the Retreat Concierge to assist us with reservations, resolving issues with our on board account or excursions then we tip them.  

• Like 3

Tips are a very personal decision and choice.   You have already paid tips for cabin attendant, butler etc.  Additional tips are appreciated but not required and I base it on the service level I have received. 

If the retreat host is just doing their normal job of fixing problems and making reservation I would not feel compelled to tip them extra.  If they have done special requests then I tip.   We normally tip our waiter, assistant waiter, sommelier $50-100 each and the same for the Room Attendant and Butler.  If the bartender in Retreat has been attentive  (meaning keeping an eye on our glasses and asking if we would like a refill as appose to having to walk up to the bar or search them down and say another please)  we tip extra.   

I don't drink but  often tip al Bacio especially if they recognize me and start prepping and make my Extra Dry Cappuccino the way I like it.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robert_fromthe_South said:

Hi, I’m currently on the 11 day cruise on Silhouette, just leaving Curaçao.  Never being in suite class S1, I’m wondering about extra tips for the Butler, Luminare staff and Retreat deck bartenders & staff.  We haven’t spent hardly any time in the lounge but I guess for her too.

Thanks-Robert

Get ready to be spoiled, as for tipping we like tipping per drink rather than at the end , I also like tipping at meal time, as for butler and room steward we tip about 50 each depending on service. I bring 100 in singles and another hundred in fives for tipping, plus larger bills. 

• Like 1

I don’t get this compulsion to tip all the time . You have already paid greatly for this trip and paid increased gratuities so why more ? Especially to those like the concierge /retreat host - they are just doing their job . Do you also tip hotel receptionist, supermarket workers , your accountant for saving on your taxes ???? 

And yes I’m from the UK !

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I don’t get this compulsion to tip all the time . You have already paid greatly for this trip and paid increased gratuities so why more ? Especially to those like the concierge /retreat host - they are just doing their job . Do you also tip hotel receptionist, supermarket workers , your accountant for saving on your taxes ???? 

My impression is that people think they are BUYING a better service if they tip.
We have always been given excellent service.

Yes, it’s a different culture!😱

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I don’t get this compulsion to tip all the time .

Because these people rely on your tips as part of their income. It’s like if you took a salaried job and told you when you were hired you would average about 30% additional income from a year end bonus. Wouldn’t you rely on that as part of your compensation package? What if a new boss decided you earned enough salary and why should they give you a bonus too?  You’d probably look for another job if the bonus disappeared. 

Edited by mfs2k
Fix
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Do you also tip hotel receptionist, supermarket workers , your accountant for saving on your taxes ???? 

These people don’t have any expectation of gratuity. They take the job based on the expected paycheck without tips added. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, upwarduk said:

My impression is that people think they are BUYING a better service if they tip.
We have always been given excellent service.

Yes, it’s a different culture!😱

These people were out of work for more than a year. They live away from their families and only see them for a couple of months a year.  They work 12 hour days or more to give me a great vacation.  It gives me JOY to acknowledge that work ethic and sacrifice, especially as I am the beneficiary. If I can afford thousands on a cruise I can afford $200 to do a good thing.  And it makes ME feel great.

To the original poster, I give $5 for each interaction.   $5 a day for the cabin attendant per day,  $5 a person per meal for the waiter, etc. And round it up or down as I feel like it.  Given the last evening in an envelope from front desk on which I write thank you and my name.  Drinks are $1 each at time of delivery, although I miss a few here and there. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Funny, I just posted, in another thread that Brits aren't known for their tipping.

Here's an example of why we tip. I'm in Virginia. Minimum wage here is $11/hr. If you're a restaurant server it's $2.13/hr. The servers depend on those tips. Same on the ship those people are hired and told that their wage is $X, but they can count an average of $Y in tips per week. Then, someone comes in from a country that doesn't traditionally tip, and they get shorted. 

It's not that we think we'll get better service if we tip. When I travel to the U.K., which is often (1/2 my family is there), I don't tip much. Why? It's not built into their wages/expectations.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If the retreat host is just doing their normal job of fixing problems and making reservation I would not feel compelled to tip them extra.

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We normally tip our waiter, assistant waiter, sommelier $50-100 each and the same for the Room Attendant and Butler. 

Kind of confusing. The one doesn't get tipped for doing their job, but the other group get's tipped double ($50-100 + prepaid)?

Are the butlers included in the prepaid tips?

Edited by Hutcha

1 hour ago, Hutcha said:

Funny, I just posted, in another thread that Brits aren't known for their tipping.

Here's an example of why we tip. I'm in Virginia. Minimum wage here is $11/hr. If you're a restaurant server it's $2.13/hr. The servers depend on those tips. Same on the ship those people are hired and told that their wage is $X, but they can count an average of $Y in tips per week. Then, someone comes in from a country that doesn't traditionally tip, and they get shorted. 

It's not that we think we'll get better service if we tip. When I travel to the U.K., which is often (1/2 my family is there), I don't tip much. Why? It's not built into their wages/expectations.

2 hours ago, JFontaine said:

These people were out of work for more than a year. They live away from their families and only see them for a couple of months a year.  They work 12 hour days or more to give me a great vacation.  It gives me JOY to acknowledge that work ethic and sacrifice, especially as I am the beneficiary. If I can afford thousands on a cruise I can afford $200 to do a good thing.  And it makes ME feel great.

Thank you! Way way back I worked for an on-ground resort for Princess Cruises. After talking to the cruise crews, I was shocked that the service jobs pay is VERY low since the cruise line touts they will make it up in tips. But.....the tips you pre-pay tips may not make it to everyone. If $5 here and there is not a financial stress (and if someone is cruising in a suite I am assuming $5 is not a financial disaster) then a small cash tip is a great way to show immediate gratitude. Also with covid staffing issues, I tip a small about daily since the staff may be pulled to different places and I may not see them again to say thanks. 

• Like 3

I have have been told by many in the service industry that rely on tips especially those working on cruise ships that they don’t like to be tipped upfront as they consider it to be a bribe and it is insulting as they take great pride in giving good service.  When people do that it is as if they feel that it is needed to get better service and also expect to get special attention 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, miched said:

I have have been told by many in the service industry that rely on tips especially those working on cruise ships that they don’t like to be tipped upfront as they consider it to be a bribe and it is insulting as they take great pride in giving good service.  When people do that it is as if they feel that it is needed to get better service and also expect to get special attention 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I have never had a room steward turn away from any tip, offered any day...I always ask for ice in the room, when they first bucket arrives, I always respond with $20....always get a nice thanks and a smile.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have never had a room steward turn away from any tip, offered any day...I always ask for ice in the room, when they first bucket arrives, I always respond with $20....always get a nice thanks and a smile.  

What do you expect them to do?   

I am just passing on what I have been told.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

6 minutes ago, miched said:

What do you expect them to do?   

I am just passing on what I have been told.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Fair enough, I understand some people aren't comfortable with the entire tipping culture..I always say, when in Rome.  

2 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

I do have a specific question about the Luminae host.  I would prefer a table by the window for every meal.  We will be a table for two.  Has anyone tipped the Luminae host in connection with a specific table request?

We were in penthouse and we asked about a window table and were told we could get it by the host,  we got it most times but not all, but we didn’t pre tip. 

9 minutes ago, George C said:

We were in penthouse and we asked about a window table and were told we could get it by the host,  we got it most times but not all, but we didn’t pre tip. 

We are in the Celebrity Suite.  We usually stay in the Sky Suite, however, we wanted a larger balcony.  I'm hoping to bid for a larger cabin although with a separate living room and bedroom, it should be good.  It is unfortunate that on the Reflection, the bathrooms in the Celebrity Suite are small.

Just now, Momma Rene said:

We are in the Celebrity Suite.  We usually stay in the Sky Suite, however, we wanted a larger balcony.  I'm hoping to bid for a larger cabin although with a separate living room and bedroom, it should be good.  It is unfortunate that on the Reflection, the bathrooms in the Celebrity Suite are small.

I really disliked the balcony for celebrity suite on M class , it’s really narrow. Kind of weird on balcony size seems to change a lot depending on class, I understand that I’m M class they were a add on .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I suspect many of those you've polled would prefer to take the gratuity up-front rather than take no gratuity at all.

Also, the tip isn't always about the recipient.  Sometimes it is given because it makes the person giving the tip feel good about themselves too.  Right or wrong, it's true. 

21 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

I do have a specific question about the Luminae host.  I would prefer a table by the window for every meal.  We will be a table for two.  Has anyone tipped the Luminae host in connection with a specific table request?

In general not necessary to do this and probably not a common practice in Luminae.  Just let them know your preference on the first night for dinner and they will usually find you your preferred table most every night.  Possibly a wait of a few minutes depending on the time you dine.   You can tip on the last night of the cruise if you want to give extra.  The Luminae tips are usually pooled and distributed.